I bought a Canon 1D C....

Dave Maze

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just wrapped our music video shoot with the 1DC using Leica R glass. I directed and had an amazing DP here in Nashville shoot it. He never used the camera before and wasn't used to the full frameish image and got too close to our actor while she was swinging an axe and it put a gash on his head. Blood spewed everywhere but he was ok. Paramedics took him to the hospital and thankfully he only needed a few stitches and was fine. We still were able to finish up the shoot with me operating and having our gaffer also be a DP today. Excited to show you guys the final product. Lots of VFX in this one so it'll be a while in post. 1DC was a champ with the exception of one of the duclos modded lenses (the 24mm). The lens element went too far back and would jam the mirror on the 1dc which caused an error. An issue never faced with an actual "video" camera. Basically we had to take the lens off, then turn on the camera, then go into live view mode... Then put on the lens. Other than that the camera worked great. Plus the weather sealing really helped protect the camera from all the blood! .............

some images from our shoot below:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here is all the blood on the camera. 

image.jpeg

Here is all the blood after I wiped it up this morning...

image.jpeg

25 minutes ago, TwoScoops said:

How is the rolling shutter/judder with the 1DC doing that kind of handheld-ish work?

It never came up as a problem for us on this shoot. We were jerking the camera around quite a bit too. Never really noticed it. I'm sure it's there if you look hard enough. But I don't think it will be an issue. 

21 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

He never used the camera before and wasn't used to the full frameish image and got too close to our actor while she was swinging an axe and it put a gash on his head. Blood spewed everywhere

when people are new to producing, im like "Shit is going to happen that you do not plan for" ?

good work on keepin it goth. glad everybodys ok!!

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

WOW! :-o

I see you used other cameras than just the 1D C on this, what else were those?

C100 and a6300. Since we were shooting a fight scene I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some extra coverage. 

3 hours ago, photographer-at-large said:

If people don't jump on this deal then you're crazy. This camera has a freaking gorgeous image. 

• 6 months later...

Hey Guys, A few things on several posts - I use the 1dc and smallhd 501with sidefinder as well (just added it to the mix and have been through 5x evf mounts to find the perfect one - it's not easy.

In terms of focusing while shooting, like any focus assist, the smallhd is hard to rely on too much when you're wide open, it's among the best I've tried, but it still shows some areas in focus that aren't. While you can't punch in while you're shooting on the 1dc, you CAN autofocus while you're shooting. You can use the af button on the back, and yes, it will temporarily wreck your shot for the few seconds it focuses and hunts, but it is MUCH faster than stopping rolling, punching in and then slating again. Even if you don't slate it's way faster. Here's a guide to doing this: http://bit.ly/2l392zk (it's the same as 5dm2 - many other eos cameras allow this as well, ie: 5dm3, 1dx.)

Also there's are a few tools which make it easier - I'm testing out the usefulness of this Bogen Sympla mvr911eccn wired remote that allows zoom and focus adjustments while shooting via the usb port - it's not perfect, it can be choppy, but it's tweak-able and is far less noticeable if you're wide and handheld. There are other more expensive tools which will also do this, maybe they're better? 

All this said, I'd love for all of you to please also stop by contribute and help me out with my 1dc blog that's for all the intricacies of this camera (like the above) and how to maximize it's use because - that image quality, doe! And pease share your hits misses, gear loves and hates for accessories, share your work shot on the 1dc/1dx and help out everyone else when you can! i'm not monetizing it at all, this is a purely altruistic venture based on my constant frustration at there being very little info out there for the things I want to know: https://canon1dcuser.wordpress.com/