I bought a Canon 1D C....

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, Shield3 said:

Have you shot both in C-log and color corrected / graded?  The C100 is top notch IQ wise.  Having a tad more DOF and quick push button AF, built in ND, zebras, waveforms and the ability to punch in while recording are very important.  In fact, I'll bet if you shoot the same scene and downscale it to 1080 you'd never be able to tell which camera took what.

Focus and better exposure tools IMO always trump everything else.  I have 4k sets here - unless you plan on cropping/panning quite a bit I personally don't see the point of having the hassle of huge 500 megabit files, large memory cards, no EVF, no ND, poorer ergonomics, poorer battery life (if you get the larger Canon battery for the c100).  The 1080p60 from the c100 KILLS the 1dc's soft 1080p60 mode.

I hope whatever you're shooting doesn't move much, as holding focus at 1.3x crop is pretty tough.  For DOC work I'd throw on a STM lens (10-18) or even the 18-35 Sigma stopped down a bit.

But hey, to each their own.  c100 has MOJO for days in C-log mode (and Wide DR is pretty damn nice too).  Just my opinion of course.

I couldn't have said it better and this is exactly why I went with the C100 MkII instead of the 1DC and a SmallHD.
And, in my style of shooting I often love to just let the camera roll knowing that eventually something interesting IS going to happen. At the end of the day I know that the story I'm telling is more important than the minute differences in image quality. But I love the idea of having the stills and video in one camera... if it only had decent sound options. Alas.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

That's a bargain! Who needs the OVF or rear little Casio LCD. 3000$ is amazing... 

51 minutes ago, Michael Coffee said:

It looks crazy! :) like a skyscraper or something :) nice

The 1DC is a LONG and SLIM camera! Nothing funnier than how it looks with my Ninja Blade on the hot shoe. VERY awkward to hold. Two rails, with the blade behind the camera (offset to the left to uncover just the grip and just obscure the LCD portion) makes a very camcorder like package for me with a lens attached. With a big 5" LCD on the back with Zebras/Peaking/Waveform etc. I just need to find or custom make some very short HDMI cables. I really hate cables. 

6 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I was actually going to buy that but see that it says it shuts off when the sensor cleans. Which I was weirded out by. That and the guy who is selling it wasn't answering my questions on eBay promptly. 

11 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I was actually going to buy that but see that it says it shuts off when the sensor cleans. Which I was weirded out by. That and the guy who is selling it wasn't answering my questions on eBay promptly. 

Yeah now that I think about it, reliability is priceless when you're using it for big jobs. I don't know if I'd take the risk knowing that is was drenched in water.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The sensor cleaning mechanism is probably just jammed, and enabling it makes the camera shut down. So disabling it in wrench menu and using the camera regularly for video should be absolutely fine. It's a tank after all and still a Canon, so can be repaired anywhere if you want the OVF cleaned or the LCD replaced. 

If I weren't living where I am I'd have taken it immediately. 2900$ is just non resistible, like the price of an a7 camera and it's a 4K shooting 1DC

Took this photo with my 1D C today with my CONTAX Zeiss 50mm f1.4. I've been shooting stills with an X-T1 for a while now as that was my only stills camera.... I forgot how much of a pleasure it is to shoot with a dslr! I'm buying a manual focusing screen to add to the camera to help assist me with all my manual glass. I don't own any EF glass at the moment. Just my duclos modified CONTAX set with EF mount 

image.jpeg

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Took this photo with my 1D C today with my CONTAX Zeiss 50mm f1.4. I've been shooting stills with an X-T1 for a while now as that was my only stills camera.... I forgot how much of a pleasure it is to shoot with a dslr! I'm buying a manual focusing screen to add to the camera to help assist me with all my manual glass. I don't own any EF glass at the moment. Just my duclos modified CONTAX set with EF mount 

image.jpeg

That is a lovely image! That's the thing with the 1DC, the colour and overall image rendition makes anything look cinematic, even a simple picture of a dog on grass, 

What Picture Style are you shooting the stils/video at? Or just going the Raw->Lightroom/C Log->Resolve routes?

54 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

That is a lovely image! That's the thing with the 1DC, the colour and overall image rendition makes anything look cinematic, even a simple picture of a dog on grass, 

What Picture Style are you shooting the stils/video at? Or just going the Raw->Lightroom/C Log->Resolve routes?

The lens has a lot to do with it too! :) 

I shot this in medium JPEG with the normal PP. then I edited it with VSCO cam app on my iPhone lol