how would you grade this?

a_reynolds

Hey folks!

I'm curious how would you grade these shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6wqoFFMeKowaVRXY3NRWjdpcFU

I pretty messed up the settings on the set. It was shot with GH4 (almost JM settings). The shots are underexposed, the skin tones are pretty bad, the lights were 5500K, noise is very much present. So, how would you bring life to these shots?

Thanks for your time!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@funkyou86 - here's my shot. Graded/corrected your PNGs in Resolve. In the first shot, I also applied Neat Video's artifact removal filter. You will be able to get rid of the image noise if you apply Neat's temporal filter to the material. (Which I couldn't do with the PNG stills.)

I also included the drx files so that you will be able to use these grades in Resolve (if you work with the program).

1_1.1.1_1.1.1.jpg

3_1.3.1.jpg

3_1.3.1_1.2.1.jpg

1_1.1.1_1.1.1.drx

3_1.3.1.drx

3_1.3.1_1.2.1.drx

4 minutes ago, cantsin said:

@funkyou86 - here's my shot. Graded/corrected your PNGs in Resolve. In the first shot, I also applied Neat Video's artifact removal filter. You will be able to get rid of the image noise if you apply Neat's temporal filter to the material. (Which I couldn't do with the PNG stills.)

I also included the drx files so that you will be able to use these grades in Resolve (if you work with the program).

1_1.1.1_1.1.1.jpg

3_1.3.1.jpg

3_1.3.1_1.2.1.jpg

1_1.1.1_1.1.1.drx

3_1.3.1.drx

3_1.3.1_1.2.1.drx

Thanks mate. I will give it a try. I downloaded resolve to grade with it, but unfortunately plenty of footages are "interpreted" in premiere (speed and aspect ratio) and I wasn't able to import the premieres XML, so I'm stuck with lumetri.

58 minutes ago, no_connection said:

I don't really know what the video is about or what you want to say with the picture mood. Make the exposure work for the mood and add character.

grade_1.PNG

grade_2.PNG

grade_3.PNG

Looks solid. 

I'm trying to push some cold-blue colors (to the shadows) at the girls footage, and some warm colours to the band.

Just raised exposure, contrast and saturation?

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it!

I involved a few more nodes than that. Some corrections done in linear space, some in log, some by lut to add some film simulation to give colors a push..
Same grading for all shots above.
I'm just a hobbyist with an interest in a lot of things, a pro would probably put hand to forehead.

*edit* I'm not saying simple is wrong ether, if all it takes is a slight adjustment, then that is the right one.

Can someone tell me why is Premiere doing this sh*t to me? It is not the first time it's happening to me, the export is absolutely different than the source.

Source: .h264, 200 mbit/s, .mov
export: .h264, vbr 2pass 100mbit to 200mbit or MATCH source, or AVI uncompressed, or qucktime .mov matching source, it's always the same. What am I doing wrong, can somebody give me a hand please?

dafuq.png

2 hours ago, maxmizer said:

VLC could be interpreted in the wrong way...

try more ... (quicktime)

Yep, looks like VLC and quicktime is interpreting in a really wrong way. I compared the shots with different players, take a look please. Looks like windows and YT is reading the file properly.

premiere-quicktime.png

premiere-vlc.png

premiere-wmp.png

premiere-youtube.png

I think all of them are reading the file correctly, but the two top apps think they are sending the signal to a TV and adjusting the output to match. If they read the file as 16-255 it would ether be left alone or being clipped/expanded to 0-255.
If you are using nVidia card, check settings and see if you can force output to be 0-255 range, it might be that and hardware acceleration that causes it.
I use MPC-HC so I can't help you with quicktime or VLC.

23 minutes ago, no_connection said:

I think all of them are reading the file correctly, but the two top apps think they are sending the signal to a TV and adjusting the output to match. If they read the file as 16-255 it would ether be left alone or being clipped/expanded to 0-255.
If you are using nVidia card, check settings and see if you can force output to be 0-255 range, it might be that and hardware acceleration that causes it.
I use MPC-HC so I can't help you with quicktime or VLC.

Cheers mate! That was it, I changed the output at Nvidia's settings from limited to 0-255 and it works!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6.7.2016 at 0:27 AM, a_reynolds said:

Hello. I've been following this blog since last year and it was such a big help to decide which serious video camera to choose! so, thanks guys.

I have a GH4 and today I got my first video freelance interview and that is something that my film school just isn't preparing me for. The job is to cover outdoors events, focusing on people. So I went out and grabbed some footage outdoors in direct sunlight.

Now, how would you, experienced people, grade this? 

I've been reading a lot of books and experimenting but just seeing your colours would really help mainly because of the skin tones. 

71VCRAV.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/know5akvpklxzqv/P1010768_teste.mov?dl=0 

GH4, internal 4k UHD and Natural profile. 

THIS! is a very hard shot to grade. The examples on this thread show great dedication and good results. But I would say, this is not going to show any

color magic. Shot in CineD with further adjustments?

I choose a homogenous color palette for a logical balance of tones, to unify different tones and

to tame strongly saturated videoish tones, such as from the yellow sign or the red shirt.

But still keeping the skincolor logic and plausible within the overall greenish tint.

grading.JPG