PC for NX1

ReinisK

Hey!

How are your computers dealing with NX1 footage? Mine struggles with 4k, but 1080p is alright.

Since I wasn't satisfied with the performance of 4k editing in Premiere Pro CC 9.1, I just installed a fresh Windows 10 (had a very old win 8, full of random files), but first tests show, there isn't a noticable difference.

The worst happens to 4k performance, when I use lumetri color and visioncolor luts (those are quite heavy though, and take longer to process, than some others). If I have a 5-10 minute sequence with some effects (usually warp stabilizer, coloring, some titles) and an adjustment layer for coloring, the performance just drops. I would have to wait for 20 secs or so, just to see one adjustment, that I did, whether that's a color adjustment, or even a cut or inserted clip. After those 20 secs, it plays quite good though.

My PC is:

Win 10, i7 4771, 24gb ram, 4gb 960 gtx, 240gb ssd with windows and Premiere Pro CC 9.1 on it, using 2 monitors (1080p and 1280x1024)

Usually I edit from external usb 3 hdd, have tried moving the project and files to the ssd, but that also doesn't seem to give much improvements.

Maybe someone, who's satisfied with his performance could share his setup? Maybe there are some specific drivers or configurations to be done, so that Premiere works better?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
51 minutes ago, ReinisK said:

Hey!

How are your computers dealing with NX1 footage? Mine struggles with 4k, but 1080p is alright.

Since I wasn't satisfied with the performance of 4k editing in Premiere Pro CC 9.1...when I use lumetri color and visioncolor luts (those are quite heavy though, and take longer to process, than some others). If I have a 5-10 minute sequence with some effects (usually warp stabilizer, coloring, some titles) and an adjustment layer for coloring, the performance just drops. I would have to wait for 20 secs or so, just to see one adjustment...My PC is:...Win 10, i7 4771, 24gb ram, 4gb 960 gtx, 240gb ssd...Usually I edit from external usb 3 hdd, have tried moving the project and files to the ssd, but that also doesn't seem to give much improvements.

Most computers and editing software can struggle with 4k H264 or H265, depending on the specifics. 4k is 4x the data per frame as 1080p, and the encode/decode process is very CPU-intensive and cannot generally be GPU-accelerated. H265 is even worse on the decode side -- much more CPU-intensive than H264. 

Adobe has made some major performance improvements to the latest 2015.3 (10.3) version of Premiere, including proxy media and apparently Quick Sync encode/decode, (Windows only) although they have not described it that way.

Your best bet is upgraded to Premiere 10.3 and use the proxy feature. You could also consider upgrading the GPU. The new GTX-1070 and 1080 are much faster than your GTX-960. This generally won't help on encode/decode but will definitely help on effects. If Adobe is using nVidia's NVENC hardware-assisted encode/decode logic, it might help even that, however to my knowledge Adobe has never described this in detail.