ULTRAWIDE monitors for editing

midloch

Hi guys,

I am looking for a good monitor for video editing what do you think about ultrawide monitors like Dell UltraSharp U2913WM see: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414974,00.asp?

Is it better solution than to go with a "standard" monitor like Dell U2715H see: http://designdesktop.com/monitor/dell-ultrasharp-u2715h-review-is-dells-new-monitor-the-best-27-inch-monitor-around/?

I use Sony Vegas for video editing.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I use an LG ultrawide and love it. However DO NOT get one that is only 2560x1080, it's way too little resolution for editing. If you can't afford a 3440x1440 ultrawide, go with the 27 inch 1440p monitor instead.

I was just shopping for a big new monitor myself yesterday, especially to help with editing.  I was after 4K and 28" or larger screen size, so my two top picks were:

Samsung U28E590D: 28", 4K, non-IPS, $400 on Amazon (recommended by Andrew Reid here on his blog)

http://4k.com/monitor/a-review-of-the-samsung-4k-uhd-qhd-ue590-28-inch-screen-u28e590d-led-lit-monitor/

LG 31MU97-B: 31", IPS, $877 on Amazon (price seems to have just gone up, it was $790 yesterday from a different supplier, although I ordered an open-box one for $700)

http://4k.com/monitor/a-review-of-the-lg-electronics-ips-digital-cinema-31mu97-b-31-0-inch-screen-led-lit-monitor/

I briefly checked out some of the non-4K monitors like the 34" LG that Dave Dugdale uses but it seemed like such a waste to do a big upgrade and not have 4K resolution.  1440 vertical resolution also seemed like not enough of an upgrade from my current 1920x1200 24" monitor (only an extra 220 lines? hrmm).  Although Dave Dugdale talks about fonts and icons being too small on 4K monitors at common viewing distances, which is one reason he went with a non-4K monitor, I'd like to see it for myself I guess and try the OS scaling if it's an issue.

In the end I went with the LG, mainly because I really want to see how much the huge screen real estate helps.  It's also 17:9 aspect ratio so it's a bit wider than normal HD.  It's supposed to get here tomorrow and I'm pretty stoked!

Forgot to mention that Andrew also reviewed the LG 31MU97-B here on the site, and liked it a lot:

http://www.eoshd.com/2015/04/lg-31mu97-dci-4k-display-review-10bit-4096x2160-ips/

I got mine today and it's pretty amazing.  Screen real estate is just insane.. I'm currently working on a project in Premiere pro that's intended for 1080p output and now I can have a full 1920x1080 preview pane in the same screen space I had a 50% preview before.  The timeline is soooooo wide.. way less zooming in and out now.  Text is super small but clear (I'm running native res with no upscaling).

The only issue so far was that I was noticing some weird varying brightness on certain pixels, like the ends of certain letters in text, but it turned out it was just a monitor setting ("Super Resolution+") that adds sharpening and is intended to be used with upscaled content.  Once I turned that off everything got super accurate and sharp.

Looking forward to reworking my Premiere layout to take advantage of all this space.

• 5 months later...

Ultrawide montors are amazing for editing and general use. I love my Dell and have put my 3rd monitor away now. Much more compact. I actually don't use the Dell for editing, I use my laptop screen as it is better calibrated. The Dell I have dimmed for eye protection and use that as my main monitor all day. I only really use the laptop screen for File Manager and grading. Then I can have the lumetri panel undocked next to the main Premiere Pro window on the Dell.

They are great for multiple window work (e.g. web browser and document) and transferring files too. Open one File Explorer window then hold the Windows button and left or right arrow keys, it then shows you all the other windows you have open so you can select one and they each have half the screen.

My Dell was £180 used so probably nowhere near as good as the ones you are talking about. Edit: oh actually mine is the same one: U2913WM. Never tried calibrating it as I am happy with current setup. The PC Mag review is idiotic. They criticize the vertical viewing angle but the monitor is fully adjustable. The side viewing is perfect, from 4 metres away at 45 degree angle the image is fine.

• Administrators
On 7/7/2016 at 9:37 AM, tellure said:

Forgot to mention that Andrew also reviewed the LG 31MU97-B here on the site, and liked it a lot:

http://www.eoshd.com/2015/04/lg-31mu97-dci-4k-display-review-10bit-4096x2160-ips/

Still using it. Not an ultra-wide monitor but one of the best cinema 4K displays (4096 x 2160).

Yeah I'm loving the LG 31MU97-B.  Fonts certainly are small at native res but so very sharp.  And the screen space is insane.. huge timeline in Premiere, full 1080 preview in a nice 1/4 of the screen, and of course just browsing the web I can have two or 3 browsers side-by-side in full res.