C300ii has dropped to $12K

photographer-at-large

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
32 minutes ago, DBounce said:

It's a business, they all do this... Apple, Ford... everyone. Bodies are not investments in hardware, they are investments in your talent. If you want a healthy return on that investment you need to produce paying work.

Congratulations on your opinion.

1 hour ago, Elagabalus said:

Does this indicate a Canon C100mkIII being announced this year?

I just checked and the C100 was announced August 29, 2012 and the C100ii was announced October 22, 2014 so it certainly seems possible.

On July 1, 2016 at 7:50 AM, User said:

Congratulations on your opinion.

If you haven't paid off a new camera within three months of buying it, you should consider it a toy.

C300 Mk II seems like a deal now. Best image other than Alexa, SLOG 3 will really improve performance dramatically, too, and eliminate sensor banding.

2 hours ago, Policar said:

If you haven't paid off a new camera within three months of buying it, you should consider it a toy.

I'm sure there is a 'theory' out there for everything. When I don't pay something off in 3 months, I consider it a house.

I always heard people moaning over EOS C line prices.. and when Canon do a massive price cut... people complain again lol.. but really it's no shocker.. C300 mkII being quite overpriced and C100 mkII  due with an update soon that will surely include 4K (just like the rest of the rumoured 2016/17 pro DSLR range specs) . It's just Canon reacting to the market.. if 4K isn't a priority though i'd jump on the C100 mk2 deal, it's a pretty awesome camera..

On 7/1/2016 at 9:13 AM, DBounce said:

It's a business, they all do this... Apple, Ford... everyone. Bodies are not investments in hardware, they are investments in your talent. If you want a healthy return on that investment you need to produce paying work.

Pretty much common sense.  If you are a hobbyist or a no talent hack that can't make enough to keep the lights on you really shouldn't be buying $16,000 cameras.  On this very forum I wrote multiple posts balking at paying $1,000 for a BMPCC.  When the price dropped to $500 I swooped in and have had no complaints.  I'm a hobbyist though.

19 minutes ago, mercer said:

How's the C100 mark i with the DPAF firmware upgrade? Do you get a ton more with the Mark ii?

i just bought one few weeks ago ( c100 mk1 + DPAF) and i think it's a great value camera, definitely step above DSLR/mirrorless. DPAF especially a game changer for me. now VS the MK2, do you get a ton more no, but better ergonomics with c300 evf, full swivel screen, better codec options, 60fps, higher ISO range.. small improvements but that make it pretty much perfect..

with the previous pricing, C100 with DPAF was a better deal but now with less then a grand price difference, i'd maybe go with the mk2.. YMMV

13 minutes ago, Django said:

i just bought one few weeks ago ( c100 mk1 + DPAF) and i think it's a great value camera, definitely step above DSLR/mirrorless. DPAF especially a game changer for me. now VS the MK2, do you get a ton more no, but better ergonomics with c300 evf, full swivel screen, better codec options, 60fps, higher ISO range.. small improvements but that make it pretty much perfect..

with the previous pricing, C100 with DPAF was a better deal but now with less then a grand price difference, i'd maybe go with the mk2.. YMMV

Thanks Django. I recently purchased a BMMCC, which I love, but I also may have the opportunity to shoot a few small events... The problem is, I sold all of my cameras to purchase the Micro. I love the camera for narrative work, but I don't think it will be practical for these small events. The money I'll make will basically pay for the C100, but since I have no intention to do events full time, it may be a little overkill... But it will still be a useful camera for short films and only cost me a couple dozen hours of sweat equity. Hmm. My other option is to pick up a D5500 to get some clean 1080p with 60p for some slow-mo shots. Anyway, thanks for the hands on info. 

So I was checking the specs of the C300 mkII - for raw recording.

Convergent Design websites states that : 

"The Canon C300 MKII camera can output Canon RAW in 4096x2160 (4K) or 3840x2160 (Quad HD). Frame rates in either mode are up to 60p"
https://www.convergent-design.com/canon-eos-c300

Then I found this video on youtube : the video is said to be recorded in 4k RAW 60P from a C300 markII (however the picture looks horrible so might be a fake, I don't know...).

I mailed Convergent Design, Canon, asked them also through facebook too, called different shops, and asked the person who filmed the youtube video. For now I got ZERO answer on that. WTF ??

I'll add to my post this annoucement - that was published also by nofilmschool.com - "These firmware updates actually unleash new features for your cameras, notably allowing the new Canon C300 Mark II to record up to 60fps RAW or ProRes."

Why are there so many contradictory information ? 

UPDATE : I read on various forums, that the announce made from Convergent Design was made before the camera was out, and that it was wrong. 

But I just got an answer from Canon USA that says that I should be able to record 4K RAW 60P with the Odyssey 7Q+.

Anyone can confirm that ??