My Review of the Zhiyun Crane 3-Axis Gimbal

Mattias Burling

I just noticed there was a new firmware version posted (1.54) some time in the past month or so. I bought the Crane in April and at the time the most recent firmware was version 1.52.

The changelog included is written in Chinese, but according to Google Translate, it sounds like they optimized the motors some more.

I've been attempting to balance a 5D Mark III paired with a Samyang 14mm f2.8, but it seems there is always some unwanted vertical motion when walking that ruins the effect I'm aiming for with my shots. I'm hoping this is something that can be addressed with the new firmware and also getting better at operating the crane (walking as flat as possible, etc).

If anyone else here is having success with a heavier setup like the 5D, I'd love to hear about it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well this is fun isn't it? Finally ordered mine and it arrived today. After a bit of a tricky start, got it balanced and working nicely. Bit confusing at first to keep track of which mode you're in, I'll have to do some reading up on what characteristics are like for each mode. Is anyone using vintage lenses on this? I've got a Carl Zeiss Jena 35mm on the camera and when I try and focus with it, a) the barrel moves in and out a lot so I'm worried the motors are struggling with that and b) I feel like I'm fighting against the motors to rotate the focus wheel. Any tips?

I can actually now see the huge benefit of a modern lens, with a very smooth focus wheel, and even the most basic autofocus.

9 hours ago, Dan Wake said:

I saw a video that explain that Zhiyun Crane 3-Axis v2 is not good for heavy gear such as some DSLR Canon. I wish to ask you, if I need a gimbal for my 7D does exist a "one handeld" Gimbal enough strong on the market that may fits my needs please? I would be grateful for your advices!

I think the Moza Air can take cameras and lenses that weight up to 2.2kg. It's new and relatively untested so far, but Brandon Li did a video this past week with it and was impressed.

You're not really supposed to manually focus while flying the camera on the gimbal. So you basically have three choices:

A) a lens with auto focus (which rules out the vintage lens you want to use) on a camera with reliable auto focus (which rules out the A7sII)

B) set the lens to a small aperture with enough depth of field and use hyperfocal distance

C) set the lens to the desired aperture, focus it (you can put the gimbal into sleep for that if you fear it strains the motors) and keep the distance to what you film consistent

56 minutes ago, Phil A said:

You're not really supposed to manually focus while flying the camera on the gimbal. So you basically have three choices:

A) a lens with auto focus (which rules out the vintage lens you want to use) on a camera with reliable auto focus (which rules out the A7sII)

B) set the lens to a small aperture with enough depth of field and use hyperfocal distance

C) set the lens to the desired aperture, focus it (you can put the gimbal into sleep for that if you fear it strains the motors) and keep the distance to what you film consistent

Cheers Phil, think you summed up a whole lot of confusing opinions I've read in 3 short sentences. I like C, I'll see how that goes!

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like the GH5 isn't really an ideal combination with the Zhiyun Crane when it comes to convenience.

Currently I have the GH5 with the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 as my gimbal setup and I directly screw the camera on the crane. This way I can still fully rotate all axes, as well as "fold" the Crane flat to put it into my backpack.

I tried to balance it with my Manfrotto and Cullmann quick releases but that moves the center of gravity far enough that I have to move some adjustments so far that they will lose full range of motion on some axes because it'll eventually collide. I also balanced it with the Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 but then decided to buy a smaller lens for the gimbal, just simply for fatigue reasons.

I didn't manage to balance it at all when using the Voigtländer 17.5mm f/0.95 and a quick release plate because the roll axis ran out of adjustment range before I could get it to balance. This could probably be overcome by adding some additional weight (maybe with strong velcro) behind the motor that is responsible for tilt but my goal isn't to make the Crane as heavy as possible to loath even bringing it.

I just use the primes I used on the OSMO X5 on to the GH5 with Zhiyun, I can swap 12mm f2.0, 25mm 1.7 and 42.5mm 1.7 without rebalancing, just change the lens and go.

one problem with sony app is slog can't be used when using the app, what a dumb limitation.

Does anyone know how to download tools and FW update from their crappy website? Just opening download page takes several minutes and nothing can be downloaded because after 20 min downloading few hundreds bytes it fails. Trying to do that for last two days.

Also how to make joystick working properly in "Full" mode (when it follows both pan and pitch)? Shifting joystick vertically does not do anything and when I shift it horizontally it's going crazy and rolls instead of pan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6.7.2017 at 5:20 PM, Rambalac said:

Also how to make joystick working properly in "Full" mode (when it follows both pan and pitch)? Shifting joystick vertically does not do anything and when I shift it horizontally it's going crazy and rolls instead of pan.

That's how it's supposed to work.

One annoying issue I have is that the crane tilts in whatever direction I am moving.  For example if I am walking forward, it will tilt down, or if I am moving sideways the roll motor will tilt and the horizon will be off.

Really noticeable when in using the Panasonic 35-100mm, not as bad when using wide angles except on sideways motion where the horizon rolls left or right.

This happened with both V1 and V2.  Even if I perfectly balance the lens.

Unfortunately I don't think it will get fixed after emailing them.  

For those who have difficulty getting into their website. Try using a free VPN or something similar. Access it through another country could solve the problem.

Has anybody tried the combi of BMMCC + speedbooster + EF 16-35 F4? I'm quite interested in the 16-35 but I'm not sure whether it can be balanced on the crane.

I have a question for the Crane users. I received my Crane v2 yesterday and after setting up my GH5 one of the motores is making a noticable high pitch noise, when the unit is turned on. But everything ese is working geraat. Should i be worried? I am thinking of sending it back and request a replacement... Thanks