My Review of the Zhiyun Crane 3-Axis Gimbal

Mattias Burling

On 2/16/2017 at 3:12 AM, Axel said:

It seems the Crane needs some weight to function optimally. Calculate the weight of your camera with lens(es). The specs say the minimum payload was 350g, but I doubt this could be done. Perhaps for the very small cameras the Zhiyun M is better. The aforementioned pancake works so-so, but I can't recommend it. Don't use combos below 600g. 

hey axel im having the same issue as this guy. Do you know if the original guy fixed his issue? I think u said you fixed this issue right? it was becasue it was not balanced? Atm my camera weight is 625 my lens weight is 120g total 745.I have to put my camera all the way in the front. but i dont think its perfectly balance as when i move it to other tilts it does not stay. I bought a quick release plate+clamp hopefully that fixes it. Just curious if its the balance issue or defective. Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, BearPhoto said:

hey axel im having the same issue as this guy. Do you know if the original guy fixed his issue? I think u said you fixed this issue right? it was becasue it was not balanced? Atm my camera weight is 625 my lens weight is 120g total 745.I have to put my camera all the way in the front. but i dont think its perfectly balance as when i move it to other tilts it does not stay. I bought a quick release plate+clamp hopefully that fixes it. Just curious if its the balance issue or defective. Thanks

I can now see exactly why the camera in this video is not properly balanced: It's too far at the front, which could only be the "center of gravity" if the lens was a styrofoam dummy. 

The tilt axis (where the problem exists - the Crane doesn't tilt, resp. stops tilting at a certain angle and falls back) needs two things to adjust: The position of the camera and the thumbscrew on the right side. The free dropbox unfortunately does not support image links any longer, but you can see it here. To make things easier, I copy my description from two pages earlier here:

For light camera/lens combos (< 800g) proceed as follows:

1. Set the yaw/tilt axis to 10mm (= 1cm):

2. Mount the camera roughly in the middle of the mounting plate. Let go. The lens will face straight upwards (all descriptions say: let it first fall down).

3. Alternately push the camera forward ever so slightly and then shorten the yaw-axis step by step: 9mm, 8mm asf. - until the lens starts to point down a bit.

4. Fix the thumbscrew! With my total payload of ~ 600g this happens at 4mm. The camera is also some 4mm away from the edge of the mouting plate.

5. Push the camera backwards on the mounting plate very slightly & check if the lens points directly forward and turns back to this position through gravity. Fine-adust.

6. Tighten the camera screw.

If the camera can only be balanced by shoving it completely to the front AND by going beyond zero cm, the tilt won't work = it's too light for this particular gimbal or has the wrong form ( ie. smartphones). It doesn't help much to put on more weight, which I tried as well, here. If at all, you had to make the lens heavier (lead sunshield :grimace:), not the camera (cage, QR-plate) or the gimbal (my example) ...

EDIT: Your 120g lens probably is not a pancake and will allow you to balance it perfectly without adding weight.

Not sure if anyone's experienced this, but the other day, my Crane would keep shutting off on me. The battery was fully charged, the blue light would blink four times, and after a minute or so, it would turn off. I tried loosening then re-tightening the handle, which worked for a bit, then the same problem. This morning, I discovered that the cap on the bottom of the handle was loose! Problem solved. ?

image.jpg

18 hours ago, BearPhoto said:

hmm what focus setting do you guys use? I have it on AF-C  focus setting as wide. Im curious how does other ppl film with perfect focus do they have specific aperture and etc? I usually use f 2.8

For AFC, I recommend to see into the various options (focus area, face detection, lock-on AF) as they are described here:

Since the the AF is only as good as the one who programmed it, you can't avoid testing them. But I agree that "wide" works for most gimbal shots. I like f4.0 or f5.6 better (if there is enough light), because the DoF is not shallow and focus transitions won't be as visible.

Speaking about focus transitions, I have "AF drive speed" (Camera Settings 2, page 1, bottom) set to "Slow" (it's faster than I could focus nonetheless, and with "Normal" or "Fast" the AF will jump to the new distance. This does not only look machine-like: depending on the lens you use, this will make "breathing" (a focus transition comes with a little "zoom") more noticeable and distracting. Valid for a native lens with short focus ways (35mm f1.8 or 18108 f4.0) and therefore very fast AF. With adapted lenses like the Sigma 18-35, fast AF speed is better, because it's slower anyway.

I set "AF Track Sens" (page two, top) to "Responsive". Just because it sounds better. Not sure what this is about, the manual says Sets the AF tracking sensitivity for the Movie mode without further explaining it. Can't see a difference.

When i was filming on a gimbal i noticed when i set to 2.8 and wide some how my focus jumps all over.
I think im going to try your aperature.
Also axel do you leave on Auto white balance/ Auto iso? With a locked 1/50 shutter speed for 24fps?   
Did you ever change your pan speed and the dead zone for your zhiyun gimbal? 

42 minutes ago, BearPhoto said:

When i was filming on a gimbal i noticed when i set to 2.8 and wide some how my focus jumps all over.

With "wide" the focus jumps to the closest subject; - well, actually the biggest, because not distance is measured (but stored later in metadata through lens status) but contrast. The closest motif may be the window frame to the left and right border, whereas Godzilla destroying the building in the distance (though he is not the smallest subject) is considered irrelevant. Given you are always steering to an object in the middle, you should then try "center" instead. That's also the closest, but the closest in the center. Then you have the option to lock-on AF,  just starting in the middle. And we havn't discussed touch-AF and moving zones asf. yet. It is complicated, and it needs some exercising.

47 minutes ago, BearPhoto said:

Also axel do you leave on Auto white balance/ Auto iso?

Never.

48 minutes ago, BearPhoto said:

Did you ever change your pan speed and the dead zone for your zhiyun gimbal? 

Frankly, I am no expert yet, neither with the Zhiyun nor with the A6500. I used mojo43's settings, and I'm happy with them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used this gimbal with the GH5 yet? I've seen some comments that it might be some difficulty mounting this camera on the gimbal. Seems like the camera is a bit large or something? I'm not sure what the issue is exactly, but I'm hoping someone here can confirm whether there is any problem or not. Thanks! 

8 hours ago, Ki Rin said:

Has anyone used this gimbal with the GH5 yet? I've seen some comments that it might be some difficulty mounting this camera on the gimbal. Seems like the camera is a bit large or something? I'm not sure what the issue is exactly, but I'm hoping someone here can confirm whether there is any problem or not. Thanks! 

I have it mounted and I have not had more problems than with the g80

20 hours ago, Ki Rin said:

I just got my crane today and gh5 2 days ago. Mounted with a sigma 35 art + metabones XL. Needed to take the eyepiece out in order for the crane knuckle to not hit it. Otherwise everything seems to good so far.

anyone know what the best intensity level is for something like the gh5? my camera with the sigma and metabones is around 1500-1600g. Crane came on the weak setting and I currently have it on medium with the app.

I was looking for a Crane in ebay and I came across to this:

Capture.PNG.629773b0ffa8dc3dce5c551a3135ae69.PNG

Capture.PNG.0e90a706528659912d4017ec194ab63a.PNG

It's obviously the Crame but notice the different mounting plate and the joystick, which seems to be a ver.2?

Has anybody got this version? The ebay item number is 282100541696

Edit: I think I know what's going on there...... The pictures are actually from Crane-M, which is a smaller gimbal, the seller is probably doing something wrong.....

On 14.4.2017 at 0:52 PM, J__ said:

anyone know what the best intensity level is for something like the gh5? my camera with the sigma and metabones is around 1500-1600g. Crane came on the weak setting and I currently have it on medium with the app.

I'd definitely try "STRONG". But also I recommend using another lens for the Zhiyun, shorter and lighter. Clearly the whole thing was designed to work best with weights between 800g and 1200g and a not too oblong form. Because you can tilt without limit with shorter lenses, and you can hold the gimbal for several minutes if it's not too heavy.

EDIT: for all those who search in vain for the WEAK-MEDIUM-STRONG settings in their Zhiyun app because a new version (red logo instead of blue) was automatically loaded from the appstore, here is a direct link to the old version:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/worldview-assistant/id1195283390?mt=8

Note: this version is called "World View", not Zhiyun Assistant, it works nonetheless.

2 hours ago, gsenroc said:

I was looking for a Crane in ebay and I came across to this:

Capture.PNG.629773b0ffa8dc3dce5c551a3135ae69.PNG

Capture.PNG.0e90a706528659912d4017ec194ab63a.PNG

It's obviously the Crame but notice the different mounting plate and the joystick, which seems to be a ver.2?

Has anybody got this version? The ebay item number is 282100541696

Edit: I think I know what's going on there...... The pictures are actually from Crane-M, which is a smaller gimbal, the seller is probably doing something wrong.....

It's the V2 of the Zhiyun Crane. Differences are just aesthetic, with quick release plate included in the gimbal. No better weight capacity.

11 minutes ago, Alex Moreán said:

Hey guys, to all of you who got the gimbal repaired... How did you do it?

I bought one and nly a couple months after the joystick is broken and they won't reply any of my messages :(

I sent mine back to China, received it back by FedEx very quickly.