My Review of the Zhiyun Crane 3-Axis Gimbal

Mattias Burling

13 hours ago, eltorrete said:

https://www.facebook.com/ZhiyunGlobal/?fref=ts

Zhiyun New Gimbal Giveaway on Instagram in Feb 25th

My wish for an improvement was an HDMI connector besides the USB connector on the yaw motor. And a good and bright and light Zhiyun monitor. Tiny, but a little bigger than this:

The Panasonic users probably wonder why ...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Kisaha It's not really aimed at enthusiasts I think, most would rather shoot with a compact camera (RX100, LX15, LX100, ...) on a slightly bigger gimbal. But I consider getting it for my girlfriend so she can have the best Instagram and Snapchat Stories out of her circle of friends. It's aparently going to be really, really cheap. Maybe I'd even borrow it once in a while in vacation.

I wouldn't mind a Crane v2 with a slightly shorter handle if that is possible and one or two mounting points for accessories (field monitor, wireless receiver, etc.) and maybe a slightly bigger baseplate for easier balancing of systems with super light lenses but I'm actually really happy with the current one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-02-24 at 4:19 PM, Phil A said:

@Kisaha It's not really aimed at enthusiasts I think, most would rather shoot with a compact camera (RX100, LX15, LX100, ...) on a slightly bigger gimbal. But I consider getting it for my girlfriend so she can have the best Instagram and Snapchat Stories out of her circle of friends. It's aparently going to be really, really cheap. Maybe I'd even borrow it once in a while in vacation.

I wouldn't mind a Crane v2 with a slightly shorter handle if that is possible and one or two mounting points for accessories (field monitor, wireless receiver, etc.) and maybe a slightly bigger baseplate for easier balancing of systems with super light lenses but I'm actually really happy with the current one.

Just mount your own Accessories :-)

FullSizeRender.jpg

On 15/02/2017 at 0:22 PM, streetstreet said:

I actually have the smaller Crane M for my RX100 V, took it on a 2-week trip to Japan just last month, and while I loved the results I got, it was a huge PITA to travel with.

Could you say some more about why this was a "huge PITA" ? I was thinking about getting a gimbal for my RX100 IV as an alternative to an Osmo + ( to have a larger sensor for shooting in low light). Thanks !

4 hours ago, DPC said:

Could you say some more about why this was a "huge PITA" ? I was thinking about getting a gimbal for my RX100 IV as an alternative to an Osmo + ( to have a larger sensor for shooting in low light). Thanks !

Just buy it. Nothing's more convenient than taking a Crane along in your carry on luggage. I've done it several times already, to Malaysia and Thailand.

On 2/24/2017 at 2:26 PM, Axel said:

My guess, and perhaps I'm wrong, is that perfect balance is of bigger importance. The gimbal comes without camera, but with pre-defined spaces and motor forces. The firmware changelog says:

If I don't misunderstand the whole thing, these settings appear in the app's Stabilizer Settings dialog in the Camera Control Interface as "weak", "medium" and "strong":

Zhiyun%20Weight.jpg

... but I wonder if there is a documentation what the manufacturers consider medium or strong. In theory, you can use payloads between 350g (obviously weak) and 1800g (strong). 

However, the form factor of an iPhone (too light anyway) will make it difficult to balance it properly. The gimbal doesn't register any gravity forces, turns crazy and the motors vibrate and probably could be damaged over time. The other extreme would be too oblong camera-lens-combos where the lens - no matter the total weight - will bump against the frame of the gimbal. The device is designed to work with mirrorless cameras and small DSLRs, and there are limits. 

This from an email sent to me by Rose over at Zhiyun Tech concerning payload with the Zhiyun Crane:

I just learn one thing that may cause the jitter. With 1.52 firmware and latest APP, there is one more choice in Stabilizer Setting page, about Strength( weak, medium and strong), this settings is related the gimbal performance with different payload weight.

So far, i just learn the jitter cause from my workmate, but i didn't have try different camera and feel the difference by myself, so my explain may not very exactly, but I think you can know what i mean. 

the jetter is related the gimbal strength settings. Crane or Crane-M gimbal with latest firmware. Crane, 1.52 firmware, in latest phone app, users  can adjust the gimbal strength( weak, medium and strong). This strength may influence the gimbal performance with different camera or payload, when you mount a camera with 500g, the gimbal need to connecting phone app, in stabilizer settings page, to adjust the gimbal Strength weak, but if your camera is about 1700g, the gimbal will need to setting the strength Strong, if with 500g camera, the strength is strong, the camera may jitter even with a well balanced camera.

Hoping you can understand what i mean. Thanks.

I tested the A7Rii with the 16-35 mm (total payload 1150 g, set to Medium), and it was considerably easier to balance than my smaller and lighter setup of round about half the weight. To fully rotate vertically, I had to unscrew the protection filter from the lens. I thought I'd keep the Ronin M for the bigger camera, but it doesn't seem to make much sense now.

14 hours ago, xenomorf said:

FullSizeRender.jpg

;-)

Reminds me of T-Rex-rig ...

I quote myself from another thread:

I found a simple and effective method to further stabilize my one-hand-gimbal shots, in particular steps. It's kind of the poor man's Armor-Man Exoskeleton, without the ridiculous Transformers approach. I make my own arm a spring arm. Got a giveaway from my pharmacy: a four feet long yellow rubber band (you're probably supposed to do stretching exercises with it). Used it like an arm sling so that I need some force to hold the Zhiyun in a 90° angle. Evens out some of the up-down movements when I walk (and yes, I know how to walk with a steadicam). Thought of building a more sophisticated version with a vest and biker's rubber bands - but why?  Reduce to the maximum!

can anyone tell me why my camera wont turn on when using the control cable for sony? I am using a6300 from app it says im using latest firmware. I have it set to sony in the app but everytime i back out of menu and return its back to default? 

1 hour ago, arson519 said:

can anyone tell me why my camera wont turn on when using the control cable for sony? I am using a6300 from app it says im using latest firmware. I have it set to sony in the app but everytime i back out of menu and return its back to default? 

I haven't used that app, but if you don't get a response, you could always email Rose at Zhiyun Tech. She usually responds the same day. Here is the email address:

service@zhiyun-tech.com

7 hours ago, arson519 said:

You didn't read my posting on page 16? "With the mobile app, the obstacle is the little swish-movement to exit the manufacturer's  screen ("save" without that doesn't save the setting!)."

It seems Film Power is out with a new gimbal stabilizer, one where you don't need to balance anymore (that would be great if it worked, considering the criticism the 4200 got). Balancing the camera on the DS1 drove me nuts. Hope this is the way forward for all gimbals.

18 hours ago, Axel said:

You didn't read my posting on page 16? "With the mobile app, the obstacle is the little swish-movement to exit the manufacturer's  screen ("save" without that doesn't save the setting!)."

yes it works. i guess my firmware was not updated and i could not save any setting

19 hours ago, Axel said:

yes it works. i guess my firmware was not updated and i could not save any setting

On 3/4/2017 at 1:04 PM, xenomorf said:

FullSizeRender.jpg

where can i get that tripod feet. whats the name of it been looking for a good small one like that

On 4.3.2017 at 7:04 PM, xenomorf said:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Sure, with the T bar you have a lot of additional possibilities. But then you also just increased the footprint like crazy and are not able anymore to just put it into a backpack, hence I decided not to bother with it. I would have gone straight for a Ronin-M then probably to carry heavier setups. I'm sticking with using a super clamp on the bottom of the Crane.

On 2/11/2017 at 2:23 PM, mojo43 said:

Google 18650 batteries and you should find what you are looking for.

Hey Joshua,

Thanks for the great videos. I checked your youtube channel. Great stuff by you and Brandon.

I wanted to pick your brain on tips for implementing orbital shots. I always struggle to keep my subject centered when i try to take an orbital shot (going around the subject). Any pointers? I presume I need to use the default follow mode?

You should seriously consider making a tutorial video on how to pull off different shots using the crane

Hi everyone, I did a search online and this thread looks the most comprehensive and related to me since I shoot Canon.

My fairly new Crane is unresponsive, it hasn't left the house for any projects yet. It was like this when I got it and I took it back to the store (Vistek, Canada). Weird as it worked when I showed it to the Vistek employee, so I brought it back home in due faith, have tested it a few times and I thought the problem was gone. Today, it's doing it again and I have no idea how to reset or fix it. I tested the voltages and the batteries are ok. I saw another youtube vid with the exact same problem, someone replied with an answer, and the OP did not post any followup but I see he has a video a day later and it's working. I tried that fix and it didn't work. Any ideas? It's past the return/exchange period, do I need to go back to the store or speak with Zhiyun for warranty, or is it a simple fix? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTxmyygUtQk&feature=youtu.be

Here is the other video and the fix in the comments I tried to no avail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSvtR5iwU3E

Thanks

3 hours ago, bytebuster said:

Hey Joshua,

Thanks for the great videos. I checked your youtube channel. Great stuff by you and Brandon.

I wanted to pick your brain on tips for implementing orbital shots. I always struggle to keep my subject centered when i try to take an orbital shot (going around the subject). Any pointers? I presume I need to use the default follow mode?

You should seriously consider making a tutorial video on how to pull off different shots using the crane

I've also wondered how to do smooth orbital shots, as well as which mode is best.

2 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

Hi everyone, I did a search online and this thread looks the most comprehensive and related to me since I shoot Canon.

My fairly new Crane is unresponsive, it hasn't left the house for any projects yet. It was like this when I got it and I took it back to the store (Vistek, Canada). Weird as it worked when I showed it to the Vistek employee, so I brought it back home in due faith, have tested it a few times and I thought the problem was gone. Today, it's doing it again and I have no idea how to reset or fix it. I tested the voltages and the batteries are ok. I saw another youtube vid with the exact same problem, someone replied with an answer, and the OP did not post any followup but I see he has a video a day later and it's working. I tried that fix and it didn't work. Any ideas? It's past the return/exchange period, do I need to go back to the store or speak with Zhiyun for warranty, or is it a simple fix? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTxmyygUtQk&feature=youtu.be

Here is the other video and the fix in the comments I tried to no avail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSvtR5iwU3E

Thanks

Best solution is to email Rose at Zhiyun Tech customer care, with a link to your video. She will respond the same day.