My Review of the Zhiyun Crane 3-Axis Gimbal

Mattias Burling

Hi everyone.  I'm currently a Beholder EC1 user with my Panasonic G7 & GH4 with 12-35.  I've had a lot of problems out of this gimbal and my supplier is willing to let me exchange it for a Zhiyun Crane.  Any feedback?  Everything I've seen, read, and researched, the Crane is a solid purchase with solid results.  Any G7 | GH4 users with feedback?  Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hello,

anybody here have managed to stabilize a gh4 + metabones + sigma 18/35 ?

With the amount of people having this combo + the amount of crane sell, i can't believe i cannot find any infomation about that !  

The weight is 1500g approx, so that should fit in the limit, but that should be very front heavy so i don't know if it feasable.

Anyone manage to equilibrate that combo with any electronic gimbal at all ? 

Thanks .

1 hour ago, Johan said:

Hello,

With the amount of people having this combo + the amount of crane sell, i can't believe i cannot find any infomation about that !  

The weight is 1500g approx, so that should fit in the limit, but that should be very front heavy so i don't know if it feasable.

Thanks .

You can type into Google "zhiyun crane 18-35mm" 

6 hours ago, Johan said:

Hello,

Thanks .

Unfortunately not possible because of the earth's gravitational pull.

8 hours ago, smoke23 said:

Hi everyone.  I'm currently a Beholder EC1 user with my Panasonic G7 & GH4 with 12-35.  I've had a lot of problems out of this gimbal and my supplier is willing to let me exchange it for a Zhiyun Crane.  Any feedback?  Everything I've seen, read, and researched, the Crane is a solid purchase with solid results.  Any G7 | GH4 users with feedback?  Thanks!

Did you even bother to read this thread through before posting?

12 minutes ago, mojo43 said:

Zhiyun Crane Unboxing // How to balance // 3 tips for using in the field

Josh - nice work, good presentation. The tips are excellent, too, especially #1, because I always worry I'm going to lose that screw! Your brief balancing tutorial is quite different from every other one I've seen, or how I balance, but whatever works, you've obviously got a lot of experience. Subscribed to your channel!

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Josh - nice work, good presentation. The tips are excellent, too, especially #1, because I always worry I'm going to lose that screw! Your brief balancing tutorial is quite different from every other one I've seen, or how I balance, but whatever works, you've obviously got a lot of experience. Subscribed to your channel!

Thanks jonpais, I am still getting used to being on camera. Thanks for the subscribe, means a lot!

Is anyone else using any sort of quick release (something along the lines of Manfrotto 323)? I'd love to replace my Ronin M with the Crane for weddings and small shoots but I need to make sure that it's easy & quick to remove / attach the camera without rebalancing :) 

On 1/29/2017 at 3:05 PM, mojo43 said:

Zhiyun Crane Unboxing // How to balance // 3 tips for using in the field

Wow, thanks for this.  Hopefully this will get me up to speed quickly (at least with setup).  I really need to get some practice in with the crane.  I subscribed to your channel and really appreciate the shoot breakdowns.  The hockey one is really interesting and looks great.  I'm sure I will have some questions as I am preparing to shoot some video at the bobsled/skeleton world championships at the end of February (my brother slides for Canada in skeleton).

17 hours ago, mdebono said:

Is anyone else using any sort of quick release (something along the lines of Manfrotto 323)? I'd love to replace my Ronin M with the Crane for weddings and small shoots but I need to make sure that it's easy & quick to remove / attach the camera without rebalancing :) 

I have used two different types of manfrotto quick release plates and they both worked well.

2 hours ago, sgreszcz said:

Wow, thanks for this.  Hopefully this will get me up to speed quickly (at least with setup).  I really need to get some practice in with the crane.  I subscribed to your channel and really appreciate the shoot breakdowns.  The hockey one is really interesting and looks great.  I'm sure I will have some questions as I am preparing to shoot some video at the bobsled/skeleton world championships at the end of February (my brother slides for Canada in skeleton).

Hey thanks for subscribing. I am still trying to see if this behind the scenes breakdowns is going to help people out. It takes a bit of time to make them... That sounds really cool. That sport is crazy! Have you tried it at all?

1 hour ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Very tempted to grab this for an upcoming corporate video. Has anyone in Germany purchased this and could recommend a seller? It's listed under multiple companies on Amazon, under a lot of different price points.

Marcotec has it:

https://www.marcotec-shop.de/de/zhiyun-crane-handgefuhrter-gimbal-fur-spiegellose-kameras.html?gclid=CJr4yMuK2NECFVAo0wodLGsD7A

I ordered it from there. They're reliable, it's not my first purchase. Apparently it's got the wrong firmware (1800g) for the A6500. Fortunately this community warned me, and I'm prepared to change it. Thanks jonpais (again)!

Some of the best review/tip vids I've seen lately @mojo43 , way better than watching a 15 minutes unpacking. Thanks!

What backpacks are you guys using that can swallow up the Zhiyun crane? Both my Incase sling and my CaseLogic backpack have a small bit of the grip sticking out if I put the crane in head down.

I've solved my mounting problems / desires now with getting a new quick release system that is rather light, quick and affordable. I've bought a whole bunch of Cullmann Revomax RX448 clamps and plates. I have clamps on my crane, on the ballhead for my tripod, one on top of a manfrotto quick release plate for my fluid head (which also is the mount for my LCD viewfinder loupe and fits into my shoulder rig) and on a mini tabletop tripod that serves as a stand for the crane but can also fold together into a grip for handholding the camera.

Now all I need is a way to mount my field monitor and maybe a rodelink receiver to the crane. Guess a super clamp with a magic arm will be the best solution. What a pity that the crane has no accessory thread on the side like some other one hand gimbals. The a6300 is borderline flying blind on the crane thanks to the dimming screen.

So I've got the Zhiyun Crane for my new A6500.

It seems to share Alex Uzans issue:

(his video)

With heavy 18-105 as well as with very light 16mm pancake. Wrote a message to him. Wouldn't like to send it back before I've even started practising :confused:

Other than that, I'm more than pleased. 

The touch-focus of the Sony would be the ideal combination. Tried focus transitions with 50mm f1.8 (75mm FF equivalent), iris wide open, on the gimbal. Something I always dreamed about. The focus features of the A6500 are unbelievable. What I like most: no hunting. If it can't autofocus at once (too little contrast), it just stays oof for a second and then focusses very smoothly and naturally. This would be ideal, if the monitor didn't :grimace:dim:angry: in video recording mode. It would be genius if it was a fully articulated monitor like that of the Panasonics ... 

I've tried the Smart Remote app with my iPhone. Unusable for video for two reasons:

1. There is no terrible lag, but as soon as I pan, the image on the smartphone freezes ...

2. No touch-focus in video mode (like in still mode).

I've bought a JJC sunshade for the a6500's monitor, but I won't glue it on. Must find a way to temporarily attach it with rubber band.