Another 3-axis gimbal on the market

Michael Ma

It gets interesting at the 1:22 mark.  They show multiple times in the video people playing with zoom rings while using the gimbal.  I hope that's not by accident.  That is impossible to do on my Pilotfly H1+.  I hope someone gets to review it because it seems like the stabilization market is already pretty well established.  Below $600 on ebay, not a bad price but it's not gonna be a game changer either.  2 18650 Li-ion batteries like the Came-TV Single.  That handle looks obnoxiously long, but then again, maybe not a bad thing.  It's not like I carry the Pilotfly in my pocket.

I own a Zhiyun Z1 Smooth C, which is a sub $200 gimbal that works well for my Galaxy Note 4/5 and stabilizes smartphones just as well as my Pilotfly H1+ stabilizes my cameras.  

Edit: Oh just a warning before you buy though.  I'm guessing it's not compatible with SimpleBCG which is powerful for fine tuning.  The Zhiyun software for the smartphone is very very basic.  Just does firmware upgrades and calibration.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for the info, definitely interesting to see how the 3-axis market evolves.

The most curious thing about this gimbal to me is the way they're all holding it.. with the handle at a 45-degree angle.  Seems like the motors would have to be working hard to stabilize in that position compared with the normal vertical or inverted position.

Slightly off-topic I'm hopeful that eventually we'll see the 4th axis stabilized within the handle, like a shock absorber, so we don't need a huge rig to get rid of the bob.

On 28 June 2016 at 3:21 PM, Michael Ma said:

I own a Zhiyun Z1 Smooth C, which is a sub $200 gimbal that works well for my Galaxy Note 4/5 and stabilizes smartphones just as well as my Pilotfly H1+ stabilizes my cameras.  

Edit: Oh just a warning before you buy though.  I'm guessing it's not compatible with SimpleBCG which is powerful for fine tuning.  The Zhiyun software for the smartphone is very very basic.  Just does firmware upgrades and calibration.

Hi Michael, thanks for the tip on the smartphone gimbal.  I have been debating getting the DJI osmo, a gimbal for my LX100 or now a smartphone gimbal.  It seems to me to make more sense to use a smartphone gimbal for any moving shots as the price is really good and I already have the camera/phone.

1 hour ago, sgreszcz said:

Hi Michael, thanks for the tip on the smartphone gimbal.  I have been debating getting the DJI osmo, a gimbal for my LX100 or now a smartphone gimbal.  It seems to me to make more sense to use a smartphone gimbal for any moving shots as the price is really good and I already have the camera/phone.

Hi sgreszcz, I don't have any first-hand experience with DJI products, however, I did pay close attention to the trend of DJI Osmo as it was being launched.  Many vloggers on YouTube got one and were so excited about it and they talked about how it was going to change everything for them, but no one really used it after a video or two.  I'm not sure if it was a practicality issue because of the 1 hr battery life, or a mic issue (you have to use always use an external mic because the internal mic is not usable at all), or if it was an image quality issue.  Also, the stabilization by default is tuned in a way that it looks artificially bouncy.  If you're going to use the DJI Osmo with the smartphone always attached to it, it's actually more cumbersome to carry than just stabilizing a smartphone on a smartphone gimbal.  And considering you can get better image quality these days on a smartphone than on an Osmo/X3, I think the Osmo with the stock X3 camera doesn't make any sense at all.

The Z1 Smooth C is pretty amazing for smartphones.  I really don't think you can go wrong with a Z1 Smooth as your first gimbal as it'll always have it's uses even if you get a larger gimbal for your LX100.  I'm not sure if I would have bought the H1+ if I owned a Z1 Smooth C first because all of my lenses are wide with infinite DOF, so there are only a few advantages (setting shutter and fps independently, better dynamic range) that my H1+/GH3 offers over my Galaxy Note 5/Z1 which can shoot 24fps and HDR with the right apps.  But I'm sure that'll change when I get a GH5.