The simplest BMMCC rig ever made :)

shijan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The only problem with flipped camera is when the image flipped with external monitor the camera menus and overlays became flipped too. Unfortunately there is no in-camera flip option, so there is a request for future firmware update.

After some tests i really wondered with the weight arrangement! The monitor counterweights the camera so there is almost zero left-right tilt usual for DSLR cameras holded with one hand. Additionally mass center can be corrected with battery placement.

Also its better to add 1 cm height screw adapter under the monitor to add some space for hdmi connector.

And one more little bonus - the flipped camera don't blow to my eye with its little cooler anymore...

A little update. Drilled more holes in metal plank to add more space between camera and grip. Add grip and shoulder mount from vintage 8 mm camera "Krasnogorsk". Seems its stronger, more compact and more ergonomic than modern China grip.

Next need to add external PWM Rec/Stop button somewhere.

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

I came up with a similar option...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I took a cheap half cage made for the pocket and attached it to the micro (they have the same height dimensions) and then attached a Slik quick release base to the top of the cage and the plate to the bottom of the monitor.

Then I used a manfrotto quick release plate on the bottom of the cage and attached the base to a cheap L-Bracket... This way I can go handheld or attach it to my manfrotto tripod.

It's still a little too clunky for my taste, so I may sell the Ikan 5" monitor and pick up the newly released 3.5" monitor.

I also need to figure out a way to attach a neck strap to it. 

Thanks very much guys. Your rigs are great sources of inspiration.

Shijan, where did you find these metal plank with adapted holes (1/4) ?

I'd like to have a quick release plate between BMMCC and the screen in order to take the screen off and record in a more discret way. Do you have any idea ?

5 hours ago, Nicky1983 said:

Shijan, where did you find these metal plank with adapted holes (1/4) ?

i find it in my box with other metal parts. it was a part of something... made of steel. 6.7mm holes drilled by hand drill. paint it with spray paint, than glue a peace of rubber pad to it for better contact with camera.

12 hours ago, mercer said:

I I took a cheap half cage made for the pocket and attached it to the micro (they have the same height dimensions) and then attached a Slik quick release base to the top of the cage and the plate to the bottom of the monitor.

Nice idea with cage. Can you post a link to exact model of the pocket cage that fits micro camera? I search on ebay for similar cages but the dimensions seems smaller there. 

UPD. Looked at the Pocket specs - its 66mm. The Micro camera is 66mm too, so any Pocket cage will fit to Micro. Seems its just a sellers mistake in cage description. 

24 minutes ago, shijan said:

Nice idea with cage. Can you post a link to exact model of the pocket cage that fits micro camera? I search on ebay for similar cages but the dimensions seems smaller there. s-l1600.jpg

Thanks, this is the one I bought...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/ePhoto-Camera-Cage-Handle-For-BlackMagic-Pocket-Camera-Video-Movie-Cinema-Camera-/360913863701?nav=SEARCH

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2016 at 3:31 PM, Fil said:

Just to mention SmallRig have confirmed they are going to release a wooden side grip soon for their micro cage.

Thats great news. I wait for release of Monitor mount which is so neededed for Micro camera. Also magnetic filter rings looks promising.

Here is some update. The Andoer Top handle from BMPCC cage fit perfectly to SmallRig co-designed cage. Also added DIY cable clamp.

Problem with earlier setup - Side handle plank blocks REC. button.

IMG_2849-.jpg

IMG_2853-.jpg

On September 24, 2016 at 2:25 PM, shijan said:

Thats great news. I wait for release of Monitor mount which is so neededed for Micro camera. Also magnetic filter rings looks promising.

Here is some update. The Andoer Top handle from BMPCC cage fit perfectly to SmallRig co-designed cage. Also added DIY cable clamp.

Problem with earlier setup - Side handle plank blocks REC. button.

IMG_2849-.jpg

IMG_2853-.jpg

Just turn the cage upside down and spin it, the side handle plank will then be on the left side. 

What are you using as a monitor mount? It looks like a GoPro mount?

I was experimenting with flipping the camera before, but SmallRig cage is not suited well for flipped usage, also i got a problems with monitoring, 1:1 glitches and overheating on smallhd DP4 in flipped mode. And the last problem is the camera menus can't be flipped so you always see them upside down, which is uncomfortable too.

The monitor mount is a semy-DIY. It was a cheap camera TILT Mount Clamp, i unscrew the top part and made a bottom plate for it (drilled a a gauge from used cold shoe mount). But it is made of plastic, all parts are very shaky, it can't operate by one hand because it uses mini rosette inside. So you need unscrew and screw it back every time to change an angle. It is a temporary solution.

s-l500.jpg

13 hours ago, shijan said:

I was experimenting with flipping the camera before, but SmallRig cage is not suited well for flipped usage, also i got a problems with monitoring, 1:1 glitches and overheating on smallhd DP4 in flipped mode. And the last problem is the camera menus can't be flipped so you always see them upside down, which is uncomfortable too.

The monitor mount is a semy-DIY. It was a cheap camera TILT Mount Clamp, i unscrew the top part and made a bottom plate for it (drilled a a gauge from used cold shoe mount). But it is made of plastic, all parts are very shaky, it can't operate by one hand because it uses mini rosette inside. So you need unscrew and screw it back every time to change an angle. It is a temporary solution.

s-l500.jpg

Sorry, I meant if you turn the Andover BMPCC cage upside down and then flip it 180 degrees before you mount it to the BMMCC, the cage handle plank will then be on the left side so it does not interfere with the record or menu buttons. But it looks like you picked up the SmallRig BMMCC cage, so the Andover cage isn't being used anymore anyway. Good DIY on the mount clamp. 

• 1 month later...

One more small improvement. For extra durability added four 1/4-20*3/4 GRUB SCREWS around the lens mount. Screws coated with heat shrink tube sleeve around the end. Also added one 1/4-20*5/16 GRUB SCREW to fix camera at the top of the cage.

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

• 1 month later...

HDMI clamp was slightly changed after some testing and now it looks like this.

Also if someone interested i decoded to produce a small batch of those clamps for sale. It is factory machined with high precision. Tested, works great! PM me if you interested. The price is in range of SmallRig clamps. Inexpensive shipping worldwide in small packages.

angle micro clamp batch1.jpg

angle micro clamp closeup.jpg

angle-micro-clamp-render-1.jpg

angle-micro-clamp-render-2.jpg

angle-micro-clamp-IMG_3116.jpg