NO!!! Digital Bolex has stopped making cameras!

Dave Maze

7 hours ago, kaylee said:

i love this footage... theres another thread right now about what "filmic" means.... hard to find a digital camera that beats bolex on filmic imo

I believe the Bolex is good at producing the "traditional" film look. However, I am seeing more and more use of a much cleaner look in modern movies. Imo, the traditional filmic look is being displaced with the newer clean look. While I do like the look of the Bolex, I think the new look is also pleasing, if somewhat less forgiving of physical imperfections of the talent.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Lots of the not so heavily graded shots in this imo.

And its always fun to try and pick out the $$$$$$ lenses vs the very affordable Kish Primes in this.

It does produce a pleasing image. It would be great to see this sort of imagery coming out of a DSLR or mirrorless camera. The motion cadence really looks quiet nice.

On 16.7.2016 at 9:23 PM, iaremrsir said:

The D35 is more of a dream camera for me. Nothing like it currently exists. I actually made a list a while ago and posted on our user group that Joe was actually on board with had the funding been there to pursue it. It'd basically be an EMCCD version of our sensor, but double the dimensions and resolution horizontally and increase the dimension vertically enough to achieve 16:9.

How does one actually go and make a digital camera? Are they build around evaluation boards with custom software, controllers etc?

10 hours ago, kaylee said:

i love this footage... theres another thread right now about what "filmic" means.... hard to find a digital camera that beats bolex on filmic imo

Yeah that looks great. I love the sloppy zooms and focus. It feels like genuine 8mm or 16mm newsreel and home movies. 

You should be getting some nice footage out of that mk iii of yours. Any footage to share?

1 hour ago, mercer said:

You should be getting some nice footage out of that mk iii of yours. Any footage to share?

aww thank you for asking, not yet! i love the camera tho... ive been busy finishing a ton of artwork that im gonna go pitch to galleries in a few months... i worked ALLLLLL year on art in 2016, up all night, and its finally done!!!! ?????  anyway this spring im gonna spend some real quality time shooting some raw video ?

my overall reaction to 5d3 raw so far is:

1) its easy and it actually "just works": ive been getting profoundly satisfactory results since my first day of testing; no endless menus to adjust color, no stress in post

2) its like film: i dont know what to compare it to besides that, but ive processed quite a few rolls of film and thats what i feel like im dealing with, robust individual frames... it does NOT strike me as "video" like every other camera ive ever shot with. its different

and the cameras great for stills, of course, using it to shoot some artwork rn ?

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

I believe the Bolex is good at producing the "traditional" film look. However, I am seeing more and more use of a much cleaner look in modern movies. Imo, the traditional filmic look is being displaced with the newer clean look. While I do like the look of the Bolex, I think the new look is also pleasing, if somewhat less forgiving of physical imperfections of the talent.

That was actually one of things Olan mentioned in his post on the user group. He decided to go for ISO 400 instead of 200 because he didn't want the clean look for this. While it is possible to get the clean look, I think a lot of people like the mojo that ISO 400-800 bring.

Now, on a D16 mkII using the KAE-02150 sensor, a clean image would be extremely easy to get, and you wouldn't be sacrificing much high end range at all.

14 hours ago, kaylee said:

aww thank you for asking, not yet! i love the camera tho... ive been busy finishing a ton of artwork that im gonna go pitch to galleries in a few months... i worked ALLLLLL year on art in 2016, up all night, and its finally done!!!! ?????  anyway this spring im gonna spend some real quality time shooting some raw video ?

my overall reaction to 5d3 raw so far is:

1) its easy and it actually "just works": ive been getting profoundly satisfactory results since my first day of testing; no endless menus to adjust color, no stress in post

2) its like film: i dont know what to compare it to besides that, but ive processed quite a few rolls of film and thats what i feel like im dealing with, robust individual frames... it does NOT strike me as "video" like every other camera ive ever shot with. its different

and the cameras great for stills, of course, using it to shoot some artwork rn ?

Congrats on finishing your artwork, and good luck with the pitches. I am currently doing the same with a half dozen scripts I rough drafted over the past five years.

I bought a 50D a few months back for a couple hundred bucks and the image still astounds me. I took the easy route and process the footage through ML Raw Viewer directly to prores but even with a little less latitude in post, and no sound, it mops the floor with any image in that price category. I hope to get a mark iii at the end of this year or in 2018 when the used prices drop a touch more... beautiful image. Please report back when you have some footage to share. Even a shot similar to that one you posted from the RX a while back... I think it was your dog's head out the car window? Good stuff. 

I usually shoot my D16 at iso 400 or 800 for the extra highlight range.  There is more noise, but most of the noise is luminance noise which is quite film grain like (I think CCD noise is fairly random with no banding -like the Leica M9) and I find it quite pleasing especially if you have contrast in your lighting/shot.  If there is any chroma noise, then neat video take cares of this very well and I usually turn off luma noise reduction all together.

• 2 weeks later...
On January 19, 2017 at 1:17 PM, iaremrsir said:

That was actually one of things Olan mentioned in his post on the user group. He decided to go for ISO 400 instead of 200 because he didn't want the clean look for this. While it is possible to get the clean look, I think a lot of people like the mojo that ISO 400-800 bring.

Now, on a D16 mkII using the KAE-02150 sensor, a clean image would be extremely easy to get, and you wouldn't be sacrificing much high end range at all.

I have been loving ISO 400 so much with the latest firmware, I've been picking it over ISO 200 as well. The range and the grain just feels right.

On February 6, 2017 at 7:55 PM, mat33 said:

but but but but but this is NOT a low light camera...:grin:

Hahaha yeaaaa,I can probably do without the night vision shots of Brighton Beach.