ANAMORPHIC ON LOW BUDGET?

Ricardo Constantino

Hello all,

I'm currently using a G7 for paid work but I want to embrace the anamorphic beauty for a couple of personal projects, mainly handheld and couple of steady shots.

What's the best all arounder lens (no speedbooster, only adapters) to use? My guess would be something between 35 and 50mm?

From my understanding the X factor of the ANA lenses cut the crop factor of the sensor right? So 50mm with a X2 it's a 50mm FOV with a 100mm DOF?

Thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, ken said:

How much is your budget?  Is flare the important factor for your consideration?

I don't have any budget in mind. Don't want to sell a kidney of course.

No it's not the flares (but I love them) I just love the overall image with distortion and soft corners and the out of focus area being 1000x more beautifull that with spherical lenses.

IMO, bokeh should depend on your taking lens, all 2x Ana lens should be same.  Another consideration is the view angle has little difference from each other ana lens.

Btw, golden lenses are more currently made, multi-coating, has good sharpness, but lack of flare.  So they are cheaper.  Black lenses may have good flare.

1 hour ago, ken said:

IMO, bokeh should depend on your taking lens, all 2x Ana lens should be same.  Another consideration is the view angle has little difference from each other ana lens.

Btw, golden lenses are more currently made, multi-coating, has good sharpness, but lack of flare.  So they are cheaper.  Black lenses may have good flare.

I've sent you a PM Ken.

6 hours ago, Tito Ferradans said:

I would recommend a Century Optics small adapter (or the SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot) as an all arounder with nice flares, distortion and edge artifacts.

http://tferradans.com/blog/?p=7670

Or Panasonic LA7200, those focus through adapters much easier to film with, but you're not getting the same bokeh that 2X lenses produce

Ricardo,

Everything is relative.  One man's low-budget could fund another guy for 5 years. 

Usable anamorphics range from $300 Sankor to $40,0000 Hawks.  Add to that figure lens/rig mounts, additional accessories, calibration for 40 year old lenses, single focus adapters etc.

If you just want to play around with anamorphic you could probably get away with a $350 budget (uncalibrated, dual-focus, no weight concerns etc).  If you want production-ready anamorphic (except for very limited use), you'll need either a native single-focus lens (prices go from $3000 to $7000 to $40000 or rent) or a high-quality dual focus (Bolex Moeller comes to mind), adapter (use the custom ones out of UK), calibration (a couple great sources), single-focus adapter (Rectilux seems to be the best), good taking lens (any number of great old lenses here, beware of too much anti-flare coating) and other misc items to hook to a rig.

Again, for experimentation: Sankor 16D 2x and adapter: Probably around $350 - $400.  Beautiful blue flare like the big Panavisions used in Alien and Blade Runner.

For Production: (One possible example) Bolex Moeller 1.5x 32/16 ($2000) , Rectilux single focus ($1000), Mount Adapter ($120), Calibration ($350), taking lens (Helios 44m for $30, Jupiter 85mm for $175, Canon FD 50mm for $60, Minolta MC Rokkor 50mm f1.4 for $60, Nikons are great but have had heavy dual coatings for a long time, otherwise the list is endless).

Other great anamorphics are the Bell and Howell, the Baby Hypergonar and Kowas among others.  Good to great single-focus anamorphics (in order of increasing cost),  Iscoramas ($3000-$5000), Lomos ($7000-$15000), Hawks ($40k) 

I have both the Sankor 16D for the specialized flare-heavy, night time science fiction look and the Bolex for more exacting and lightweight optical demands.  The Bolex is a 1.5x compression lens which allows you to use the 16:9 sensor mode on any modern camera into good looking anamorphic.  The Sankor is a standard 2x compression which either requires a camera with an anamorphic (4:3) sensor mode (GH4 and some others) or you have to do excessive cropping and throw away resolution.

Good luck on your adventure.

eris

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2016 at 2:10 AM, funkyou86 said:

I'm tempted to get a 2x moller as well, would you please be so kind and post some test footages? :) 

Will you use it with a rangefinder?

Sorry, I don't have a suitable taken lens to test.  I think this 46/2x needs 135mm or above to be able to eliminate vignetting.