5 reasons why I will be getting a Panasonic GH5

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, Michael Coffee said:

How about an AI electronic virtual focus puller with voice recognition:)

Didn't think of that. What about a camera with an intel i7 chip, nvidia graphics card & SKYNET artificial intelligence that shoots & directs for you and assures you that its not a consumer camera ? Sound cool enough ? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I'd have been tempted with a GX8 as I like the form and fit - it feels nice in the hand

BUT I get absolutely fed up with having to consider shutter shock all the time on my G6 (with my 14-140 MKII)

add the built in IS and its a no brainer

I use a GX8 daily for commercial photography and video and have never once encountered shutter shock.

In fact I cannot remember taking a photo with camera shake or that is out of focus when using the 12-35 f/2.8.

I now use a Voigt 25mm f/0.95 as my main lens so that takes more care (I much prefer manual lenses and love this Voigt), but I remain hugely impressed by this camera (I dumped my Nikon D810 and pro glass for it).

The two factors that have elevated it for me are :

• Using the Voigt lens for photography. The still images are very close to Leica quality.
  • Using a Ninja Star for video. the images look awesome and are very gradeable.

2 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Didn't think of that. What about a camera with an intel i7 chip, nvidia graphics card & SKYNET artificial intelligence that shoots & directs for you and assures you that its not a consumer camera ? Sound cool enough ? 

that would be cool. The camera says, hmm, don't like that shot, how about we frame it up this way - then downloads 50 reference shots to the monitor:)

"based on your preferences, we suggest this shot" - download a Scorcese director profile etc

17 minutes ago, Michael Coffee said:

that would be cool. The camera says, hmm, don't like that shot, how about we frame it up this way - then downloads 50 reference shots to the monitor:)

"based on your preferences, we suggest this shot" - download a Scorcese director profile etc

WHAT IF HAD SCORCESE'S REAL VOICE ?! OMG im excited

It is truly a shame that there won't be a NX2...my NX1 (with the help of EOSHD's NX1 guide!) has given me amazing 4K video quality for over 75+ productions to date and I'll still be using it until I receive my RED Raven (whenever that may be...) Hope to see the GH5 announcement really soon to see what Panasonic has to offer though.

Here's some reasons I won't be getting a GH5:

1.  I am invested in Canon EF and EF-S glass.

2.  Colors (esp people) not up to my 1dx/C100 ii combo

3.  Speedbooster is nice, but bad AF (very slow).  Adapters suck, really.

4.  No adapter exists that will give me that full frame aesthetic.

But after owning a few GH2's I really respect and admire what Panasonic is doing.  If I were invested in m4/3rds glass it'd be a no brainer (this would alleviate my #1 and #3 reasons.  Still can't ever get away from FF stills and/or Canon colors.

1 hour ago, Michael Coffee said:

I think if Panasonic can improve the autofocus, with the ibis and seemingly better colours - the gh5 will be a really strong camera.. it really seems the main area they are lagging behind

As a Panasonic owner, and ex Nikon user, I'm intrigued by this oft stated view about "Panasonic Colours".

My experience is that if you take care of white balance and experiment with profiles and really get to know your camera, then it is as easy to get good colours from a Panasonic as it is from a Canon (or in my case, Nikon) camera.

Why not create your own LUT or standard set of controls/profiles and apply them in post, for example?

If you want a thick image to grade, hook up an external recorder. The cost of the Panny GH4/GH5 level cam and external recorder will be less than a C100ii, but the image quality is definitely comparable if not better (1080 of course, not the 4K that is on offer from the Panny's).

Although I am impressed by my GX8 I am no means a Panny fan boy, but there does appear to be some sort of myth circulating that Panasonic colours somehow don't cut it.

53 minutes ago, DevonChris said:

As a Panasonic owner, and ex Nikon user, I'm intrigued by this oft stated view about "Panasonic Colours".

My experience is that if you take care of white balance and experiment with profiles and really get to know your camera, then it is as easy to get good colours from a Panasonic as it is from a Canon (or in my case, Nikon) camera.

Why not create your own LUT or standard set of controls/profiles and apply them in post, for example?

If you want a thick image to grade, hook up an external recorder. The cost of the Panny GH4/GH5 level cam and external recorder will be less than a C100ii, but the image quality is definitely comparable if not better (1080 of course, not the 4K that is on offer from the Panny's).

Although I am impressed by my GX8 I am no means a Panny fan boy, but there does appear to be some sort of myth circulating that Panasonic colours somehow don't cut it.

Look - I have to disagree regarding my gx7 - no matter how carefully I white balance, and grade, there always seems to be something wrong going on in the red to orange range for me.. I try to avoid those colours, and yeah, it can look pretty good but I get to the point where I think its ok, especially with filmconvert..  - then look at any Canon footage straight out of cammera and think that it just looks so right, more pleasing.. the gx85 does look alot better at this stage to me though - from what I've seen it looks somewhat Blackmagic like with the colours.. slightly more neutral than the Canon's and looks like a great base colour look for grading!

Two frames from where I'm happy with the Panny's colour:)

Illie2a.jpg

Untitled_1.1.1.jpg

49 minutes ago, DevonChris said:

I'm not an expert on video or colour, but have owned the Gx7, LX100, G7, and now GX85.  I have also used Olympus cameras, whose colour especially with JPEG output (and video) for skin tones I preferred.  The Panasonics sometimes have some sort of orangey tone in the skin and purple in the lips - I especially found this with my LX100.

I know you can use a custom white balance, which seems to fix a lot of these colour shifts, but that isn't always practical.  I am finding that my new GX80 has quite nice balanced colour using the Natural 0,-5,-5,-2 settings as recommended by @Inazuma on another thread.  I used those settings and "cloudy" WB to shoot a carnival event this weekend and was quite happy with the few clips that I got before the skies opened up and the event was cancelled.

I did a colour comparison of the GX80/LX100 with my E-M5ii and G7 (before selling them).  They all used identical settings and custom white balance with an expo disk.  You might have already seen this on the other thread, but if not here it is again.

I'm looking forward to the GH5 to have a stabilised slow-motion camera with continuous recording.  I could see myself using a GH5, GX80, and LX200 combo (if they add tilt/touch screen and improved Panasonic colours/low-light like G7/GX80).  Right now I'm running with two GX80 bodies and the LX100 for time-lapse or for one-camera travel.

@Michael Coffee I have definitely found issues with the red channel as it seems to over saturate, however knowing that allows me to work around it as part of an easy and repeatable workflow.

Have you considered an X-rite color checker so that you can balance the output of the cam against the knowns of the color checker? This is the basis for Paul Leeming's  LUTs. 

My 5 things for getting the GH5

-4k 60P and less noise

-good AF in 4k

-better EVF and please no toy plastic EVF lens

-GH5 should show exposure values during video

-more custom options for video (FN-buttons working also for video items).

Echoing some of what others have said (I'm new to the forum here, been lurking a long time) this is what I want with the GH5: 

1) 4k 60P: Absolutely a requirement for me to upgrade from my GH4. And the image has to be clean as well––no moire or aliasing, and comparable in quality to 24/30p (not like the awful 96fps mode on the GH4)

2) 6k 30P: Not absolutely necessary at this stage, but would certainly increase the longevity of the camera. 

3) Significantly cleaner images at higher ISOs. Completely clean at 3200, useable at 6400 would be nice. 

4) In Built Image Stabilization: An absolute requirement, and able to pair with IS in Panasonic lenses for even better stability. 

5) Zoom in focus while recording. The GH4 doesn't have this, and the A7S I & II I believe do have this (can't confirm that). Great for refocusing manually while recording.

6) Automatic rack focus system, with the ability to decide length of shot and how slow/fast the focus is pulled. The GH4 sort of does this now, but the autofocus often does this rock back and forth effect that ruins the shot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2016 at 10:36 PM, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Or load a 1DC/Alexa/BM2.5 sensor! 
This is actually not true. Because, nas it turns out, int's not at all the sensors that represent the bottleneck here, that film look we're raving for turns out to be all due to pricessing the gorgeous raw filmic data all these sensors send out. The devil is in the processing. It's all the image processing. They must hire creative managers to tune that step and not leave it to absolute engineering because this leads to an image that looks too technically perfect, perfectly compressed and into a small neat file with a pretty contrasty/natural look. Image processing stage must be led by artists, not engineers. Canon/arri get that, panasonic and sony do not. AT least not in their nin-cinema linesof cameras. 

Again not true

Filmic images is a complete stupid word.

What is filmic to one person is mad max fury road and to others it looks horrible

The filmic look or the hollywood look we like to think of it is skintone... handling of color....dynamic range...motion...how it handles highlight s and shadows.

How the motion cadence is.

To me the best motion is from my sony f65. To others they like the Alexa. I dont like the alexa cause my images out of it im not happy with. But other dps work blows me away.

If you were older abrahim you would know we used different film stocks based on mood and feel for the film.

I am a fuji man. More than kodak. I like the green.

But neither can or not be called more filmic.

The best digital footage i saw was from the panavision genesis... global shutter later became f35 which i own.

But i loved it cause of the colorist and dp.

You cant make a blanket statement about a camera as filmic or non filmic.

Thats what young dentists do.

One day youll get older and see this.

Canon has beautiful skintones but the c300s motion i hate. I prefer the motion on the 1dc.

I dont know why.