5 reasons why I will be getting a Panasonic GH5

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On June 23, 2016 at 0:02 PM, DIGIKUVAUS said:

NX1 has very bad audio? Could Andrew explain this a little bit?

Turn your external mic volume up and the in camera audio volume down. It helps lower the audio noise floor

On June 23, 2016 at 7:46 PM, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

i'll buy one when i see a non-video mage that I LIKE , eveerything else is irrelevant

When they allow us to load film stock into our digital cameras you'll get the non-video image you are looking for ?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
4 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Turn your external mic volume up and the in camera audio volume down. It helps lower the audio noise floor

When they allow us to load film stock into our digital cameras you'll get the non-video image you are looking for ?

Or load a 1DC/Alexa/BM2.5 sensor! 
This is actually not true. Because, nas it turns out, int's not at all the sensors that represent the bottleneck here, that film look we're raving for turns out to be all due to pricessing the gorgeous raw filmic data all these sensors send out. The devil is in the processing. It's all the image processing. They must hire creative managers to tune that step and not leave it to absolute engineering because this leads to an image that looks too technically perfect, perfectly compressed and into a small neat file with a pretty contrasty/natural look. Image processing stage must be led by artists, not engineers. Canon/arri get that, panasonic and sony do not. AT least not in their nin-cinema linesof cameras. 

4 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

But they have. The G7 was a huge step forward in low light performance. 

Not as good as the Sony, but a damn good performance nonetheless.

people sleep on these cameras because the average joe could go into B&H and buy it. They perform admirably as seen here. Whether you pick up the G7 or a6300 you aint losing but the film "I shot on a RED before !" snobs refuse to admit it.

5 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

But they have. The G7 was a huge step forward in low light performance. 

Not as good as the Sony, but a damn good performance nonetheless.

Would I be wrong in saying the problem of low light has been solved for the majority of us? We have great high ISO performance, speedboosters, and fast lenses. What is the new frontier? Codecs, stabilization, color rendition, DR? These cameras make me wonder where we're going next. Is it going to be 3D, VR, something else? Gimmicks?

• Super Members
2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Would I be wrong in saying the problem of low light has been solved for the majority of us? We have great high ISO performance, speedboosters, and fast lenses. What is the new frontier? Codecs, stabilization, color rendition, DR? These cameras make me wonder where we're going next. Is it going to be 3D, VR, something else? Gimmicks?

Bright light is my nr1 issue the last couple of years. ISO800 solved any lowlight problems I ever had. The Digital Bolex gives me a nice iso 160.

But I dream of a nice and clean native ISO 50.

The constant ND workaround is getting boring. I've started skipping the 180 degree shutter to get around it.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Bright light is my nr1 issue the last couple of years. ISO800 solved any lowlight problems I ever had. The Digital Bolex gives me a nice iso 160.

The constant ND workaround is getting boring. I've started skipping the 180 degree shutter to get around it.

I can understand. ISO 800 almost requires ND filter for everything but indoor or studio stuff (I assume you're talking about your beloved BMPCC). :) Maybe the next version (if it ever comes) will be what you want. The tools keep getting better and cheaper... when will it stop? The search goes on for the perfect camera for Gunpowder. Keep up the great work you do.

2 hours ago, Buckster said:

how does the sensor compare G7 vs say the latest GX80/GX85 ?

is the G7 newer tech and therefore lower noise etc or about on par ?

presumably G7 and GX8 same sensor ?

but GX85 ?

G7 and GX85 use the same 16MP sensor. The GX85 doesn't have an AA filter, but for video the quality is identical.

The GX8 is a completely different 20MP sensor.

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

D810 has a native ISO of 64. :)

38 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

G7 and GX85 use the same 16MP sensor. The GX85 doesn't have an AA filter, but for video the quality is identical.

The GX8 is a completely different 20MP sensor.

So is the gx8 the same sensor as the GH4? I will be happy if the gx85 holds up like the g7 at higer iso

Just now, Michael Coffee said:

So is the gx8 the same sensor as the GH4? I will be happy if the gx85 holds up like the g7 at higer iso

The GX8 is a 20 MP sensor...so still no. Not the same as any other Panasonic camera. 

The GX85 and G7 have identical low light performance, as they have the same sensor and same processing.

Just now, Buckster said:

I'd have been tempted with a GX8 as I like the form and fit - it feels nice in the hand

BUT I get absolutely fed up with having to consider shutter shock all the time on my G6 (with my 14-140 MKII)

add the built in IS and its a no brainer

I am all over the gx85 and can't wait to get a hold of one - it seems they have fixed the colours alot, my major gripe with the gx7 - was about to go into Canon's again - but with the ibis, for me the gx85 seems to be the best "pocket cinema" camera yet..