a7s ii autofocus question

AaronChicago

I'm helping a young band shoot their first music video and they want it to be all handheld (by them) as they interact with people. No musical performance. Anyway I'm planning on renting an a7s ii for the IBIS and autofocus. Does the Sony 20mm f2.8 work well with the a7sii in terms of AF? If not what would be a better option in the 16-30mm range. It needs to be relatively small.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

the Sony 20mm f2.8

Remember that it is an APS-C lens, so if you want 4K you should rent the A7r mk2 instead. 

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

The concept is supposed to be DIY so AF doesn't have to be as smooth as Canons DPAF but ideally i'd like it to at least work. Any other recommendations for a small IBIS camera with good AF? 

I've been impressed with AF from my A5100, so I expect the A7r mk2 will be even better. 

It won't be perfect, but is likely very "good enough" for your DIY styled project.

Another to consider is the Samsung NX1 which is meant to have godly AF, and had a firmware update which gave it in camera stabilization. You could pair it with the Samsung 30mm f2 pancake lens. 

a7rII's AF is much better than the a7sII, the PADF array covers most of the sensor and it does a good job tracking subjects, face detection stays locked on for a high percentage of shots when the subjects face is visible, even at wide apertures. Lots of test videos show it effectiveness. S35 4k means you can use smaller APS-c lenses, the 16-50pz is a great small option.

Olympus or the GX85 are your only other IBIS options. 

Canon 80D would work pretty well for this application, assuming you do not need 4k. The 80D does not suffer from the rolling shutter problem that will make your shots pretty much unusable should you go the Sony route. What this video to get an idea of what I'm talking about.