FS5 lens

Billysurf

I'm considering the FS5 but want to get an all purpose great lens for a trip I'm taking to Haiti.  Lots of bumpy rides, pretty vistas and close ups on these beautiful people.  A zoom is probably in order.  The kit 18-105 is appealing, I like to get wide and the zoom aspect is awesome but I've read it's hard to use.  Is it really the best option?  I've also read the metabones adapter works well on this camera and that's an option.  Things I need: 

Image stabilization
Low light as i can get
Easy to focus (manual)
Auto focus
Constant aperture

I'm wondering what one lens you would recommend (and what metabones adapter if applicable).

I appreciate your time!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The kit lens is decent, not stellar. Well built, compact and a bit of a pain in the ass to focus manually. A little better now -the lens had a recent firmware update- but far from the feel of a manual focus lens.

With a metabones speedbooster ultra you could use the Canon 24-105 f4. Speedboosted It would behave as a 17-70 f2.8, so you would sacrifice some range but gain a faster, easier to focus lens. Needless to say the bulit quality of a Canon L lens is nice, but I haven't tried the autofocus of the FS5 on that lens. On the kit lens is not good; might do for jobs without sudden focus changes in well lit environments, but in my opinion it is unusable in most situations.

5 hours ago, Billysurf said:

Thanks pablo!  Do you know if IS is supposed to work with the metabones ultra and canon 24-105?

Yeah, it will work. A kit lens may be more compact. Another nice lens is the Canon 35mm F2 IS. I would say any lenses with IS will be best for this type of setting.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Canon/Sigma 24-105mm F4 IS with SB is best choice. For cheaper option, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS + normal active adapter. 

Both would do a great job at general purpose-yet-prime-like applications.

We have just bought an FS5 at work and we are waiting for it to ship, with the 18-105 as a kit lens because it was barely more expensive to add it. Would you recommend going with e mount lenses for video or am I better off going with canon? I know from personal experience with m43, the by wire focus there is generally pretty poor. Is it the same on Sony?

Depends on how your find it and your needs, see how you find the 18-105 at first. And perhaps buy the 35mm f1.8 lens as that is a cheap general purpose prime which also has optical image stabilisation.

Want lenses do you have currently?

We have a metabones adapter and we can use some of the art department's lenses, so a canon 85 1.2 and a 24 1.4. That being said, we want to try and wean ourselves off their gear. Apart from that only the 18-105 when it comes. We need to buy a wideangle and a tele to add to the kit and that will cover us.