Adobe Premiere Pro 2015.3 update available now

Michael Ma

I've been anxiously waiting for the new Improved Lumetri Color (Secondary HSL)  I've always liked Colorista, but I always thought the only reason I still use it is because there is no localized HSL correction for a particular color range.  Now, it has it.  Crossing my fingers to see if it works well with skin as Adobe at NAB precariously stayed away from demonstrating it on skin.

Edit: Works on skin OK.  I had "Add color" after I "Set color" to cover the entire spectrum though then blur the mask.  Then "Remove color" to remove some nearby similar colors.  I would say Colorista is better at skin isolation but this will probably do.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

That's a nice new feature. Proxy workflow is great as well. I can't believe that they're still not supporting Blackmagic 4:1 RAW.

This may have more to do with Blackmagic than Adobe.

I work at a school and all the kids edit on Macbook Airs. This proxy workflow is going to be great as well as the new hardware decode support, those laptops cant deal with 50mbps XAVC-s let alone 100mbps gh4 stuff. Now I just have to set the project up once and it will give them an optimised experience when I give them a copy to work on

13 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Yup ! The new ingest setting will create proxies or even transcode the h.265 to cineform if you want. a life saver especially for our hacked footage 

I ave tried it and it is great.

I was hoping that playback of original files will be better - it still uses only CPU on 100% (which is pretty annoying) even I have GTX960 with full HEVC support... I will report it as bug again.

However - proxy feature is big step forward (even Sony Vegas has this few years ago)

Just now, kidzrevil said:

@Pavel MaÅ¡ek yup ! Now I can edit NX1 files without wanting to kill myself LOL. All I need to figure out now is how it handles 0-255 files. Should we use 0-255 or 16-235 ?

:-) I really do not know. I am using 0-255 and "convert" to 16-235 in Premiere. I think it is better than record directly in 16-235... sometimes (when I do not need higher DR) I let files in 0-255 because colours are much better than in 16-235.

Guys, if you use SpeedGrade for grading, DO NOT upgrade to 2015.3! They've removed DirectLink so you can't interact with SpeedGrade. What's worse, they haven't updated SpeedGrade, so there's no way to grade 2015.3 sequences without rendering out for SpeedGrade (like very old times). Looks like I will need to go back to the old version. If you care about this, please ask Adobe to put those back.

Unfortunately Abode seems to be adding bugs faster than they are removing them. 2015.3 is more buggy with GPU accelerated rendering (OSX latest, GTX980ti latest drivers). Not only does the display corrupt (or go black) frequently, it's also even slower than the prior version (both OpenCL and CUDA). The solution? Turn off Mercury and run Software Only and 1/4 or 1/8 rendering. Faster, less slowdowns and rendering issues. Since Premiere GPU crashes also crash OSX, NVidia's drivers are also an issue.

[EDIT] Even with 1/8 Software rendering, PP CC is so slow as to be almost unusable when jumping around the sequence (4K material).

1 hour ago, jcs said:

Unfortunately Abode seems to be adding bugs faster than they are removing them

i kno rite. luckily im a subscriber so i can always have the LATEST bugs!!

i havent had a chance to get into premiere yet but im v happy to see color range secondary adjustments in lumetri and the proxy worflow is much needed

for photoshop users there are some nice new features, like content aware crop, and if you use liquify a lot to work on images of people this is dope

Updated to PP CC 2015.3 and I did notice the preview Windows don't black out or glitch as often. The interface lags a bit less when switching between tabs. Other than that, so far so good. 

I haven't tried the HSL settings in Lumetri. I'm curious to see what it does. If anyone has a demo on using it.

3 hours ago, kaylee said:

i kno rite. luckily im a subscriber so i can always have the LATEST bugs!!

i havent had a chance to get into premiere yet but im v happy to see color range secondary adjustments in lumetri and the proxy worflow is much needed

for photoshop users there are some nice new features, like content aware crop, and if you use liquify a lot to work on images of people this is dope

Face-aware in PS is cool. Portrait Pro is amazingly useful (can even fix makeup in post): http://www.portraitprofessional.com/

Adobe has never really put much emphasis on performance or stability: feature bloat wins the day in the boardroom. This means that the folks in business and product development have advised engineering to bloat-it-up vs. improve stability and performance. If this is a wrong assumption, then epic fail on the bug fixes! PP CC is now so slow and buggy, it has 'jumped the shark' and is not really usable for 4K material (C300 II, A7S II, and 1DX II footage). On the exact same hardware, FCPX is mostly smooth as butter, and very rarely crashes. So even though the NVidia drivers are buggy too, FCPX seems to be doing a better job working around them (as I have done back when I wrote a lot of Windows audio/video software).

Photoshop, Illustrator, and Audition (and AE for simple effects else way too slow) are useful tools. Acrobat DC doesn't crash, however it's unbelievably slow (hint: turn off font smoothing while editing PDFs). Premiere gets useful new features along with incredibly time-wasteful bugs, and either doesn't get faster or gets slower. At first I thought maybe 2015.3 was slightly faster, however after using it on a medium complexity project, it's much slower and far buggier. I know there's also problems with NVidia GPU drivers, however I haven't changed them, so the extra bugs and slowdowns are Adobe's.

These issues have come and gone, for many years. I thought changing back to a GTX770 would help as perhaps my 980ti has hardware issues, however that doesn't appear to be the case: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wierd-issues-with-cmp-gtx-980-ti-and-premiere.1966577/. Note that in Windows 10 I haven't gotten any BSODs, however it's slower than OSX (CUDA. OSX lately is faster with OpenCL). Also note that Resolve hasn't done anything weird with GPU accelerated effects or crashed (have only done basic C300 II, 1DX II, and A7S II tests).

PP CC in 2014- same issues- Windows/Mac different GPUs, doesn't matter, clearly PP CC bugs: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1515611

FCPX will need some plugins to get closer to PP CC basic features; I think it's time to bail on PP CC.

EDIT: in order to finish a PP CC project in progress, I installed an older BETA version of the NVidia drivers (first one for 10.11.5 here): http://www.macvidcards.com/drivers.html . The theory is the Adobe developers write their code based on drivers available when they started the bug fixes. They tend to 'lock' code based on said drivers, so that by the time the product finishes QA and is released, it may actually work better on the now older (even BETA) drivers. Surprisingly and thankfully, the older BETA drivers are at least usable with PP CC 2015.3 (still buggy, but can make progress on project). So, to be fair to Adobe, while the glitches and bugs are annoying and hurt creativity, they can usually be worked around and aren't show stoppers. The show-stopping performance bugs are clearly related to the NVidia drivers (Windows and OSX).