Lots of C100's at the NBA finals

Shield3

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 6:45 AM, Shield3 said:

I noticed in the "champagne" celebration room folks with c100's.  Then I noticed out on the court the same thing...Makes you think about how important pros value reliability over high Sony specs...:)

Keep in mind I am biased as I have a c100 mk2 due here today and have been burned twice in the last 3 months with 2 Sony a7r2 failures that required the same camera to be sent in for repair.

IMG_0397.JPG

I think it is more indicative of how pro's value the name plate than anything else. You can't be a real pro unless you have a Canon. we have heard that often enough. If you use anything else you lose respect among your peers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, tugela said:

I think it is more indicative of how pro's value the name plate than anything else. You can't be a real pro unless you have a Canon. we have heard that often enough. If you use anything else you lose respect among your peers.

What did I just read? How does your world work?

When I see the local pros do work here, I see cameras from Blackmagic to Canon to Sony and to Red and to Alexa. The whole goddamn palette. So those pro's in in the screenshot are just wannabes? Or what? I don't get what you are trying to say.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:54 AM, Ed_David said:
2 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

When I see the local pros do work here, I see cameras from Blackmagic to Canon to Sony and to Red and to Alexa. The whole goddamn palette. So those pro's in in the screenshot are just wannabes? Or what? I don't get what you are trying to say.

They use those cameras because that is the brand they have been brought up on, the brand their network supplies etc etc. I doubt any of those guys have even used anything else. Never underestimate pavlovian conditioning when it comes to consumer choices.They are not making the choice of one over the other because it is "superior". If you have always used a Canon, or a Sony, or a Panasonic, or whatever, you are probably going to continue using that brand, no matter what, because it is familiar. Inherent superiority has nothing to do with it.

The cold reality is that most modern cameras are adequate for those applications. When you start reading nonsense with terms like "organic", "filmic" and "cinematic" when describing sports footage, you know that you have just encountered someone who has been consuming way too much cool-aid ;)

On 6/28/2016 at 6:52 PM, hmcindie said:

Not only that, but almost all the stills shooters put tape over the Canon logo so they aren't giving free advertisement.  All I know is I shot in 95+ heat for hours Monday night with a 1dx + C100 II (both doing video) and neither camera even blinked.  Meanwhile the Sony a7r2 I sent in for repair finally came back after the 2nd failure since March.  I'll keep mine Canon or Nikon or pro Sony, not "mirrorless" when it counts.

On June 22, 2016 at 0:54 PM, Ed_David said:

The interpoliation of frames - how it combines them and yes, sensor readout - but the smoothness of a frame into the next. 

That to me seperates cameras just as much as other things such as skintones.  

The C300 has a blockiness and harshness to it, to me that doesn't feel organic.

Cameras I feel are organic in motion is the Canon 1dx, digital bolex, and blackmagic micro camera.

The FS7 and the Ursa Mini 4.6k also feels blocky and unnatural.  

There is a science behind it all that I don't understand, I just know what I like unfortuately.

Not to discredit these cameras - I have seen amazing things out of them.  I just have a particular aethestic.  

1dc also?

On 6/28/2016 at 2:04 AM, tugela said:

They use those cameras because that is the brand they have been brought up on, the brand their network supplies etc etc. I doubt any of those guys have even used anything else. Never underestimate pavlovian conditioning when it comes to consumer choices.They are not making the choice of one over the other because it is "superior". If you have always used a Canon, or a Sony, or a Panasonic, or whatever, you are probably going to continue using that brand, no matter what, because it is familiar. Inherent superiority has nothing to do with it.

The cold reality is that most modern cameras are adequate for those applications. When you start reading nonsense with terms like "organic", "filmic" and "cinematic" when describing sports footage, you know that you have just encountered someone who has been consuming way too much cool-aid ;)

I don't know much but I know canon and I know Sony when it comes to event reportage. Nobody ever said wow to the Sony footage out of the box. Brides, friends, famy... everyone loved anything shot in the Canon XL series.  (Edit: I had a camera owner/ operator work for me on a job and her footage was incredible. But she had spent a lot of time with that Sony z series and knew how to wrestle it into submission. Then it was actually a bit more natural and superior to the Canon. From what I can see, not much has changed in this regard)

They, Canon, simply nailed the DIY, pretty footage out of the box market. 

I can't speak to anything else but this obvious 'fact'. 

These folks with 10 seconds with Lebron are living in a fact based reality. They are showing you indirectly their weapon of choice. To dismiss them as uninformed on the 'plethora' of options available is to quite frankly sound a bit ridiculous.

No insult intended. Just bemusement.

Edit:  the fact based reality is you are making crap money for long hours with stiff competition, and nobody wants to color grade your footage at 1am when you send it to the studio, or listen to your excuses about how your equipment overheated, or has a magenta cast, or is not broadcast ready -yet, or wants you to telepath your filmconvert ritual to get to rec709...

6 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:
On 6/22/2016 at 8:54 PM, Ed_David said:

The interpoliation of frames - how it combines them and yes, sensor readout - but the smoothness of a frame into the next. 

That to me seperates cameras just as much as other things such as skintones.  

The C300 has a blockiness and harshness to it, to me that doesn't feel organic.

Cameras I feel are organic in motion is the Canon 1dx, digital bolex, and blackmagic micro camera.

The FS7 and the Ursa Mini 4.6k also feels blocky and unnatural.  

There is a science behind it all that I don't understand, I just know what I like unfortuately.

Not to discredit these cameras - I have seen amazing things out of them.  I just have a particular aethestic.  

1dc also?

I laughed my ass off the other day when a filmmaker literally said...

"The Ursa footage doesn't look like video, but it doesn't look like film.

Quite frankly, it doesn't look like anything I have ever seen before."

This is a good or bad thing depending on what you gamble is the future of digital video. 

Black magic footage will either get dated or go mainstream, either way it will always instantly jump out as Blacmagic footage when used in consumer hands.