Shootout - Blackmagic Video Assist 4K vs Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q+

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

16 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Si sta utilizzando le batterie DSLR di Canon sul tuo Flame?

Come sta la qualità costruttiva?

Una cosa che mi piace di + l'Odissea 7Q è il telaio in magnesio ... molto pulito progettato, sottile, leggero. Lo Shogun aveva tenute aperte, prese d'aria, in plastica e cigolante. Se la fiamma migliora significativamente il che poi giustifica il 1695 $. Come è il 7Q + a $ 1795 è l'unica per me, da un certo margine. Non ci sono prese d'aria o ventilatore. N plastica unisce in tutto il corpo.

Well there's so much stuff out creaking ...
if it was not for the cost of the disks and RAW, I would have definitely bought 7Q ...
I'll settle for Atomos.

_1000640.jpg

• Administrators
6 hours ago, marcuswolschon said:

There are telltale situations where you can tell.

Fog is a prime example but there are others.

Fog with LOG maybe :)

10bit is a good LOG recording bit depth.

I still don't see much advantage to it on the GH4 though vs the 8bit.

Of cause in V-Log.

Default profile in 8bit MPEG and external 10Bit ProRes 422HQ in V-Log

unless it's a scene with very little contrast where the latitute of V-Log is not needed at all.

OR if you need the Wifi remote control and thus accept to be limited to 8Bit external recording.

I'd love the option of recording either raw externally or record the HDMI/SDI signal uncompressed/lossless compressed but that doesn't happen with cameras in my price and weight/size range.

1 hour ago, ArturoMarinho said:

what about VideoDevices PIX E series? BM and CD aren´t full recorder display options. I would like to hear a wider point of view in regard critical gear

I had a good look at them (someone else was using a Pix E5 on a GH4 shoot) and the custom caddies with M.2 SSDs drives may be practical due to their integrated USB3 port but you can't get these media anywhere.

The firmware has aparently learned a great deal since version 1.

2.5" SATA SSD drives and SD cards you can get on short notice but M.2 ? And additional caddies? (The Samurai caddies are just a piece of plastic and are sold in units of 5.)

3 hours ago, marcuswolschon said:

I had a good look at them (someone else was using a Pix E5 on a GH4 shoot) and the custom caddies with M.2 SSDs drives may be practical due to their integrated USB3 port but you can't get these media anywhere

They use standard m sata solid-state-drives. Atleast my pix E5H does.

9 hours ago, marcuswolschon said:

But standard drives are not mSATA but SATA.

Can you go into any electronics store in a medium sized city and get a 480 or 960GB one on short notice?

I live on an island so I basicly can't get anything. But there is something like the internet and if I order the samsung 850 EVO 1TB today I have it on my doorstep by tomorrow.

10 hours ago, marcuswolschon said:

But standard drives are not mSATA but SATA.

I think they mean 'non proprietary' when they mention 'standard'.

Let's summarize the PIX media discussion:

buying media

Wow. even Amazon takes 3-4 days here and they are damn fast.

Fast enough to get spare media over night delivered into a hotel.

You seem to have a great postal infrastructure where you live.

(Sadly it's a maze of companies over here with only DHL doing a good job unless someone confuses DHL express for DHL again, then it's a nightmare.)

The 1TB and 500GB drives I could find (EVO, >350eur) over here are more then twice the price of Sandisk SATA drives (200eur)

and only by dealers that sell via Amazon, shipped by the dealer (so probably 2 weeks to be safe).

Plus I need to have enough spare "SpeedDrive" caddies.

renting media

Obviously I can't rent mSata or SpeedDrives in any of the rental houses I checked whereas I can (and do) rent 480GB SATA drives everywhere.

(However no larger drives then 480GB but for ProRes that's okay.)

renting entire recorders

Somehow the rental prices for 4K recorders of all brands are through the roof.

Who whould rent a recorder for 70eur/day + taxes when offered an entire camera BMPC4K body for less then half as much in the same rental house?

4 hours ago, marcuswolschon said:

You seem to have a great postal infrastructure where you live.

I lived for over thirty years in Amsterdam and all I can say is that since I live on this small island in the Netherlands, everything is faster. Postal services are way more reliable. When I order something and they made the promise it's there the next day , it's there the next day. If I'm not at home they leave it inside my house and sign it off themselves or if the house is locked they leave it in the shed ...the upside of a small community.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:28 PM, marcuswolschon said:

If you are into cheap media for long sessions... try beating a 960GB Sandisk for about 200eur in SD-cards for 4K or gigantic mechanical HDDs for FullHD.

If you want to work fast...why copy that SD-card? The Atomos is SATA, just edit from it right away.

Yes, exactly. Since I have my Atomos Ninja2, I never copy video files from the 1T HD or the 512 SSD I have. I simply configure my Premiere project directly on the USB3 disk next to where the video files are recorded. When I am done with editing and rendering, I save/export the final movie file and upload it from the USB3 disk. For a while, I keep the source on the disk, but eventually I recycle. I am not on 4K yet, still even today with my 1080 files, I found external recorders with (affordable) high capacity and fast (USB3) HDs/SSDs are godsend for working with enormous video files of high quality.   

On 6/17/2016 at 1:31 AM, Andrew Reid said:

To be honest even with 10bit YUV I can't tell much difference in the grade to 8bit.

RAW or RGB is where it's at :)

Has anyone tried a difficult (with flying hair etc) green/blue screen Key in AE/PR using in camera 8bit footage, vs 10bit 4:2:2 prores output to one of these recorders to share their experience? or in the lumetri fx raising shadows to lighten a scene, will the "10bit" footage make a difference?

• 2 months later...
On 17/06/2016 at 5:58 PM, Andrew Reid said:

DSCF9520.jpg

I've recently had a Video Assist 4K 7"on loan from Blackmagic. Here are some observations on this newcomer to the 4K recorder party.

Read the full review

When do we stop saying 'entry level' and start calling it standard?

What is 'pro' exactly?

Metal casing... works with a Red or Arri... ?

Cannot this do such?

• 3 months later...
On 17/6/2016 at 9:35 PM, Andrew Reid said:

I don't know the make as it's a generic chinese thing from eBay. Will try and find a link. Get asked for this a lot. Wish there was a high quality hot-shoe hinge made of metal. This one is plastic and a bit wobbly when something heavy is on the end.

The design of this i good. We just need a high quality version.. But i can't even find this cheap thing..

• 7 months later...

Hi, I noticed that in the photos this is combined with the gx85, have you done tests about this combo? As I saw the hdmi output of the gx85 is 4k 4:2:2 8bits, do you know if this is true?

Also I saw that you can hack the gx85 to use the profile cinelikeD, know if the hdmi output could use this profile? Many thanks beforehand for your answer, I am thinking of acquiring this combo, as it seems to be the cheapest way to shoot 4k 422 prores with the plus of 5 axis image stabilizer.