X Pro 2 vs Sony A6300

BrorSvensson

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Yep the X Pro 2's colour is effortless, you don't need to do anything to it in post and if you just want 1080p, it's a lovely simple solution.

The magenta cast in the S-LOG 3 footage though is down to the user not being knowledgable enough with grading tools to correct it.

S-LOG is a bitch to work with, so it is partly the camera's fault and partly the user's.

I don't blame anyone who has trouble getting the colour from Sony cameras to match Fuji! It's hard!

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yep the X Pro 2's colour is effortless, you don't need to do anything to it in post and if you just want 1080p, it's a lovely simple solution.

The magenta cast in the S-LOG 3 footage though is down to the user not being knowledgable enough with grading tools to correct it.

S-LOG is a bitch to work with, so it is partly the camera's fault and partly the user's.

I don't blame anyone who has trouble getting the colour from Sony cameras to match Fuji! It's hard!

i was also surprised by the Continous AF on the x pro 2, didn't know that it had such good capability!

• Administrators

It's a bit lens dependant. The 35mm F2 WR and 18-50mm F2.8-4 OIS work best in AF-C mode but it's definitely not very reliable all the time.

The 35mm F1.4 and 56mm F1.2 have really noisy AF motors and big heavy glass elements to shift... so don't work as well.

I think the A6300 and X Pro2 share a very similar sensor and phase-detect AF is on the chip.

• Super Members
32 minutes ago, Viet Bach Bui said:

That Fuji video looks like something coming out of a smartphone: oversharpened, low dynamic range, baked in and saturated colors (which look nice, btw), little room to manipulate in post.

Have you tried it?

In my experience the DR is just fine, lots of info to bring out in the shadows and just as gradable as any 8-bit footage. 

14 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Have you tried it?

In my experience the DR is just fine, lots of info to bring out in the shadows and just as gradable as any 8-bit footage. 

No, just commenting on what I saw in this video.

And your experience is...interesting, considering what is displayed in this video. Perhaps the author didn't know what they were doing?

14 minutes ago, Viet Bach Bui said:

No, just commenting on what I saw in this video.

And your experience is...interesting, considering what is displayed in this video. Perhaps the author didn't know what they were doing?

I can testify that the FUJI footage needs at least a basic color grade...but there's lots of info in the darks and it "lifts" up just fine.

--and that's about it. The colors have been looking pretty good to my eye.

Playing with my X-T1, I found out that the picture profile best suited for video is the Pro Neg. High. which doesn"t crush blacks as much, and gives a little bit of room for grading.

(For the record, video from the X-T1 is not as bad as people believe. The video firmware upgrade helped a lot.)

• Administrators

The X-T1 firmware update lifted the quality? I can't say I noticed.

The quality was always better in 1080/30p than in 60p by the way.

I can confirm the creator of the video didn't handle the X Pro 2 files correctly. They should be mapped to 16-235 in Premiere and the shadows lifted.