Is here anybody who uses Sony Vegas Pro for 4K editing?

midloch

Hi guys,

I use Sony Vegas Pro 12 and I am about to upgrade my pc. I know that SV Pro does not support GPU while editing (and preview) but uses only CPU. This requires a huge CPU power.

Now I want to switch to 4K but I have read that you must have a really strong pc especially for non proxy editing.

Please what is yout setup for smooth 4K editing with Sony Vegas?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I have latest premiere installed along with my VEGAS PRO 13, and both have virtually the same speed, playback and renderring. 

I rate Sony's Vegas at the highest end NLEs ever made for video production. The visual tactile representation of cutting and editting footage on the timeline is a generation ahead of ALL NLEs. Makes you edit faster and simpler. Deliver files and move on. It's one of the very few NLEs where you can edit, colour, and do audio on the highest level there is, no need to get out for anything (except for resolve to get auto subject tracking in maks, that's the only missing piece and the reason resolve is installed here). I LOVE vegas pro 13 and can't imagine why there doesn't seem to be more users. 

As for 4k, I edit 4K and colour abd render easily, nothing stops you. 

I currently use 1DC 4K MJPEG files (very heavy) and it does stutter a bit on playback but I set the preview resolution to ''Best, Quarter (1080p)'' and it works realtime. I also editted R3d. Red epic files (import natively) and heavily compressed GH4 H.264 4K. 

So yes  am using Vegas Pro for 4K video and it's a breeze, both in 4K and HD timelines. But It's actually faster when you work with 4K in a native 4k timeline vs an HD timeline, perhaps scaling bogs it down a bit. 

Nothing fancy, my average laptop and workstation work great (i7, nvidia, HDDs, 16/24ram)

The only serious hit I encounter is running Neat video, in 4K, this little plug in add on eats up playback rate from 24p to 5-6p max. But i've yet to see any setup that runs 4k neat at 25p+ with zero glitches, even in our post houees witj serious machinery. 

I use Movie Studio Platinum and rate it almost as highly as you do. However there is one big problem that has driven me away from it into the arms of Resolve, which I also rate highly.

The problem is that the UI is not compatible with 4K display resolutions so I struggle to see and use the interface on my Windows 10 laptop with a 4k display.

I hope the new owners of these excellent Sony products sort this issue out soon, but I am very happy with Resolve 12.5.

Hi Ebrahim,

I totally agree with you. SE Pro 12 or 13 is the best NLE on the market. Lately I made some project together with my friend using his Premiere it can not be compared to SV at all in terms of simplicity.

Please what exact type is your i7?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

PC is I7-5820K I think, and Laptop is something lower, and even their I edit a lot on the road. As long as you don't need to watch the footage on an external 4K monitor as you edit, you're fine with any decent set-up editing with a 1080p preview window. 

BTW from Pro 13, it uses GPU to its full extent, in playback/editing/rendering. This was not the case with 12. 

How optimized is Vegas vs Resolve? That's the main reason I can't reliably use Resolve on my laptop: playback at 10 frames and stuttery, and random glitches causing all videos to randomly change colors every second. 

I've used SV Pro 9-12 and has been my all time favorite NLE, ease of use made my workflow a breeze.

But the lack of color wheels, and LUT support is why I left. 

Maybe I got spoiled with those features from Resolve, Premeire and fcpx that I've used now.

But if SV Pro added those features then I'd consider jumping back on PC, as I've been on a Mac for awhile now.