Sony FS5 RAW/Prores footage... where is it?

Jonesy Jones

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/26/2016 at 8:08 AM, Jonesy Jones said:

What is the real price of the 7Q+? Seems very confusing... SSD's, firmware, 4K?

Yeah it is a bit confusing... good news is they have opened up SSDs though to 3rd parties! But only very specific Samsung SSD.
As for buying licenses from Convergent Design, I'm not 100% sure if that was just a thing of the past and now new models come with it, or this is still true? Would need to look that up. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah it is a bit confusing... good news is they have opened up SSDs though to 3rd parties! But only very specific Samsung SSD.
As for buying licenses from Convergent Design, I'm not 100% sure if that was just a thing of the past and now new models come with it, or this is still true? Would need to look that up. 

You very much still need to buy the license from Convergent Design. Looks like it's on sale until mid August for $595, as opposed to the usual price of $995.

On 7/26/2016 at 6:08 AM, Jonesy Jones said:

What is the real price of the 7Q+? Seems very confusing... SSD's, firmware, 4K?

Yeah - this is why I went for the Shogun flame. Single price, cheaper than the 7Q+ from the get-go, and comes with everything you need to get shooting (minus SSD, but I had one from my original Shogun, and it takes standard SSDs).

7Q+ the base price is for monitor only, which means you then have to tack on the cost of SSD, codec licensing, battery plate, batteries, charger(s), D-tap and/or 12v Lemo cables, sunhood,  etc.

The sale price at the moment is not bad, but you can easily add $1000+ to it quite quickly

just the HDMI/SDI .... Just pointing out that it is not just a monitor though, when you first get it.

I've owned both the Odyssey and Shogun... If you can stretch the cash, the Odyssey is far better and more future proof.

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

just the HDMI/SDI .... Just pointing out that it is not just a monitor though, when you first get it.

Yeah well that puts it at a big disadvantage for the price when compared to Atomos with an FS5/FS700

In terms of getting started yea... The premium price goes into making a noticeably better product though.

Just getting 4K, 120fps is worth the extra alone, for me... Though I have not used the newest Atomos range, maybe that has it now?

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

In terms of getting started yea... The premium price goes into making a noticeably better product though.

Just getting 4K, 120fps is worth the extra alone, for me... Though I have not used the newest Atomos range, maybe that has it now?

It seems that Shogun Inferno could be the one to beat CD 7Q+, specs are almost the same but it has high brightness FHD screen(1500 nits) with an option to view footage in HDR.

https://www.atomos.com/inferno/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1247728-REG/atomos_atonfi001_shogun_inferno_7_4k.html

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'd go with FS5, the small size, slow motion, variable internal ND, features, all make it more attractive than a C500. Plus in many cases will be a better match with your A7r II as a B cam.

I'm thinking about the FS5 again. 

The 7Q stuff looks may better than the internal XAVC-crap the camera currently has. 7Q all together though is very very expensive - and a bit large for the FS5.

Anyone know if the Inferno will do everything the 7Q can with the FS5? 

Also noticed the FS7 has increased in price by around £1500. 

3 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Probably an after effect of Brexit. Alot of folk were saying that if the £ remained really weak, prices on imported products would rise.

4 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I'm thinking about the FS5 again. 

The 7Q stuff looks may better than the internal XAVC-crap the camera currently has. 7Q all together though is very very expensive - and a bit large for the FS5.

Anyone know if the Inferno will do everything the 7Q can with the FS5? 

After looking through the B&H website and Atamos' site it appears as though the Inferno will do everything the 7Q+ (with firmware) will do. But I thought I read somewhere the 7Q+ will do 120 4K at 4 sec bursts, if so, the Atamos won't do that. 

I'd also say the Inferno is by far the superior monitor on many levels. I got to see it in person at NAB. It's gorgeous. Personally, I lean toward the Inferno for several reasons. One of them being that I try to avoid companies, Convergent, that obfuscate the costs of their products, which tells me their hiding other things too. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Probably an after effect of Brexit. Alot of folk were saying that if the £ remained really weak, prices on imported products would rise.

Grey imports are even more expensive than UK prices now. Not everywhere. But majorly!

3 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

After looking through the B&H website and Atamos' site it appears as though the Inferno will do everything the 7Q+ (with firmware) will do. But I thought I read somewhere the 7Q+ will do 120 4K at 4 sec bursts, if so, the Atamos won't do that. 

I'd also say the Inferno is by far the superior monitor on many levels. I got to see it in person at NAB. It's gorgeous. Personally, I lean toward the Inferno for several reasons. One of them being that I try to avoid companies, Convergent, that obfuscate the costs of their products, which tells me their hiding other things too. 

The Inferno is sexier, but that elusive 4K 120fps.....

BUT......The 7Q annoys me with the own brand SSDs and the license thing.