Sony Mirrorless reliability...

Shield3

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

So for the Tenth or Twentieth, Ive lost count, time I will give Sony a go.
Just opened the box to a a6300, charged the battery, popped in the SD, turned it on, it crashed :)

Lets hope it does better this afternoon...

EDIT: Formated the card in my computer, and then in the camera. Now it starts.
Pressed record, recorded 10 sec. Looked at it on my computer... full of vertical static stripes, blockiness and more noise than a smart phone.
Will update firmware and see if it helps.

Unbelievable. I've heard some bad things about their cameras but your experiences with them are incredible. You need to stay away from those cameras. All of them.

On 7/2/2016 at 7:37 AM, Mattias Burling said:

So for the Tenth or Twentieth, Ive lost count, time I will give Sony a go.
Just opened the box to a a6300, charged the battery, popped in the SD, turned it on, it crashed :)

Lets hope it does better this afternoon...

EDIT: Formated the card in my computer, and then in the camera. Now it starts.
Pressed record, recorded 10 sec. Looked at it on my computer... full of vertical static stripes, blockiness and more noise than a smart phone.
Will update firmware and see if it helps.

I am holding onto my a6300.  It's my camera of choice for quick snapshots, 120FPS in camera slow-mo, good static 4k of landscape stuff (not people) and my most used feature?  Taking photos of things I'm selling on Craigslist / Feebay.  The popup flash tilts.  Plus it's very light.

I cannot just set it on a tripod and let it roll in the heat though.  For sure not 4k.  It is what it is, but that with the 28 FE F/2 is a nice little combo.  Yes I realize the 28/2 is for the FF bodies.  Sorry to hear you're having bad luck.  It's pretty good in low light - but the c100 Mark II smokes it handily noise wise - shot my kids letting off some smoke bombs last night - the c100 was very clean @ ISO 10,000; much cleaner than the (don't dare move it else you'll get rolling shutter) a6300 was @ ISO 6400.  But hey, for the money?  The a6300 is smashing for what it does.

On 7/3/2016 at 7:41 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Yeah I should. They are becoming a bit of a joke.

P1030187.md.jpg

I'm sure you TURNED IT ON WRONG.  That's my assumption.  Did you eat chicken that week?  I'm sure that did it...:)

• Super Members
6 hours ago, Shield3 said:

I'm sure you TURNED IT ON WRONG.  That's my assumption.  Did you eat chicken that week?  I'm sure that did it...:)

Ha!

Actually got it replaced yesterday. Can't for the love of me figure out why I didn't exchange it for a gx80, gx8, what have you. But its like always with Sony, I want them to be good.

Anyway, the new one works.... But the EVF is crooked... Probably my fault as well :)

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Ha!

Actually got it replaced yesterday. Can't for the love of me figure out why I didn't exchange it for a gx80, gx8, what have you. But its like always with Sony, I want them to be good.

Anyway, the new one works.... But the EVF is crooked... Probably my fault as well :)

I thought your name sounded familiar - I've been following you on Youtube for quite some time.

Question for you regarding the video "5 Reasons to Buy a Used Canon 1DC"

You stated your used 1dc "cost less than a Sony a7r mark ii".  Where did you find one that cheap?

• Super Members
5 hours ago, Shield3 said:

I thought your name sounded familiar - I've been following you on Youtube for quite some time.

Question for you regarding the video "5 Reasons to Buy a Used Canon 1DC"

You stated your used 1dc "cost less than a Sony a7r mark ii".  Where did you find one that cheap?

I bought it on a forum in the market section.

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I bought it on a forum in the market section.

I am no stranger to market forums (this one, Fred Miranda, DVXuser, Photography on the Net, Sportsshooters.com and a couple others.  Cheapest one I'm seeing is $4250 with an unknown shutter count (I do not count the water logged $3k one on ebay a valid option).  PM me if you can be more specific.

Thanks,

Shawn

I service cameras all day long at a rental house, and it seems to me that as product development cycles have sped up, build quality has gone down. I get FS5s and FS7s coming back from shoots and they are simply in an appalling state. Not built for field work at all. Back in the day, the F3 was a tank. Simply a tank. That camera and other cameras built under their CineAlta banner got much better quality materials. The consumer/prosumer cameras....not so much. I was helping a fellow tech attach a battery grip to an A7S II yesterday. Couldn't get it to work. They sometimes go out six at a time, like GoPros, and come back with two or three in need of repair. These are toys, not professional cameras.

That said, Canon isn't immune. I've had to take multiple C300 MK IIs out of commission in the last few weeks due to failing ND wheels. The motors seem to burn out quickly. Meanwhile, original C300s keep on chugging after years of punishment and abuse in the field.

Canon DSLRs (as well as Nikon ones) are rock solid, though. You can give them shit for taking forever to upgrade and add features, but they take their time and build heavy-duty, reliable gear.