Take that Sony : GX80/85/7MKII give 1h of continuous recording...

TSV

If you were wondering how long you can shoot with a Lumix GX80/85/7MKII, well at least 1h04 minutes! Or the full length it takes to ride the Yamanote line in Tokyo ;-)

And, will the trains here are air cooled, the camera after 1h was just barely warm and it had enough juice for maybe another full hour ride... Impressive!

Note.

1. The Camera used was a GX7MKII from Japan (English menus are now available on these cameras)

2. Used a 12-35mm Lens

3. Tiffen Variable ND

4. Dual IS was on

5. Battery was fully charged when started recording.

6. The video was shot in 4K30p (Update)

IMG_8020.JPG

IMG_8019.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
33 minutes ago, The Chris said:

The app/hack allows unlimited recording on Sony bodies that can take apps. My a7rII goes until the card is full with the grip attached. 

Cheers

So you need a "Hack" that may break your camera warranty, a battery grip with two batteries on a 3000 USD camera to do something that a 800 USD Camera can do out of the box? Just saying...

11 minutes ago, TSV said:

So you need a "Hack" that may break your camera warranty, a battery grip with two batteries on a 3000 USD camera to do something that a 800 USD Camera can do out of the box? Just saying...

No it's just an app, no impact act on anything at all. I can record for over an hour on a single battery. The grip allows me to fill larger cards. 

Great.  Now I can record the feature lecturer at the insurance adjusters conference next month without having to miss a single moment by pausing the recording and then restarting.

Seriously though...is non-stop recording (a feature that many people seem to go on about) not at all a big deal?  Legitimate question: does anyone here really need to record this long?  I'm actually curious.

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Great.  Now I can record the feature lecturer at the insurance adjusters conference next month without having to miss a single moment by pausing the recording and then restarting.

Seriously though...is non-stop recording (a feature that many people seem to go on about) not at all a big deal?  Legitimate question: does anyone here really need to record this long?  I'm actually curious.

Yes, for wildlife. if you've established an area of "routine" wildlife activity, you can plop a camera nearby, hit record, and walk away. Of course, that means sifting through hours of footage, but at 8x speed in an NLE, it's not really that big of a deal.

This is also why heat management is essential, as well as good DR..since the light shifts dramatically over the shooting period...as well as high ISO performance.

5 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Yes. I often shoot as a single operator running 3 or more cameras simultaneously. If I'm recording a full band set, or an orchestra, or a long lecture, I'm usually actively operating a camera that is far removed for several static cameras. If they only record for 30 mins at a time, then I'm missing a minute or more of potentially crucially coverage (an entire guitar solo, for example) from my main camera to walk around restarting cameras that are spread around the concert hall. 

For someone looking for an A cam, a recording limit probably isn't a big deal. To me, these small ~$1,000 cameras are useful as B, C, and D cams, which I often need to let run unsupervised for long stretches of time. 

2 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Does the GX have slight 4K crop? is there some downsampling involved? Sony put their bet on a higher mpx sensor and drop-dead gorgeus downsampled 4K image and went with the hunch that most of their customer shoot short clips.

The 4K out of the box on the GX is the same as the G7 or GH4, and in my opinion, if you put aside the amazing ISO performance of a Sony Camera, the GH4 produce a sharper video than a a7Sii for example and have a better color science than Sony's. Then add on top of that the price of a Sony...

Anyway this GX is my B Cam, and I love it. Not perfect but affordable. 

On 12 June 2016 at 10:40 PM, Ivanhurba said:

I'm waiting for my GX80 but I'm sure that won't be the case in Europe. So either grey import or hack that won't happen.

Supposedly the Australian version of the gx85 is pal and has continuous recording.  Also someone has figured out how to put a gx80 in NTSC mode, so I wonder if the unlimited recording (NTSC) gx85 can be put in PAL mode?

i have the gx80 (PAL) so I'll see if there is a hack or wait until some PAL gx85 end up on eBay...