Resolve 12.5 Is Out

jcs

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The free version allows export up to and including UHD. I took this quote from their website :

About DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Software

The free DaVinci Resolve 12.5 includes all of the same high quality processing as DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Studio and can handle unlimited resolution media files. However it does limit project mastering and output to Ultra HD resolutions or lower. DaVinci Resolve 12.5 only supports a single processing GPU on Windows and 2 GPUs on the latest Mac Pro.

If you need features such as support for multiple GPUs, 4K output, motion blur effects, temporal and spatial noise reduction, HDR tools, Lens distortion correction, de-interlacing, Resolve FX Lens Flare, Lens Blur and Film Grain, 3D stereoscopic tools, remote rendering, an external database server and collaboration tools that let multiple users work on the same project at the same time, please upgrade to DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Studio.

I found their 12.1-12.3 versions to be bug-infested. Auto-save would crash the program = unusable.

I know everyone complains about bugs, and it is free software, but if they want to make it a viable alternative to CC then I hope this version is cleaned up. And find some alternative for database project management.

I think the main problem is what a system hog the software is. If your computer isn't top notch it will slow down noticeably.

Regarding the bugs, it seems everyone has different ones. I only use Resolve as a hobbyists and not for work but so far mine worked flawlessly (12.5 beta 2)... it just gives me the urge for a faster CPU.

What's better for performance in the program (not for the rendering of the output), a good hexacore or a faster quadcore (e.g. i7 5820 vs i7 4790)? I guess the hexacore wins due to the way better bus in combination with a better mainboard when using multiple harddrives, a decklink card and maybe even multiple GPU?

I like how you can switch back and forth between the media, edit, color and render pages, but I dislike the color tools and the viewer layout and the scopes and the nodes.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good program and it's free, which is really saying a lot for what you get, but I think I am just spoiled by the fact that my first NLE experience was FCPX with Color Finale. It is just simple, direct and in real time.

I've had so many bugs with Resolve 11 and 12. It really doesn't run well on either of either of my laptops (granted the newer one doesn't have a dedicated graphics card - waiting for a thunderbolt 3 GPU to plug in). 

They really need to optimize resolve. Fusion runs pretty well on my laptop (Dell XPS 12 with 4k screen) and so does autodesk inventor for that matter.

I'd love to use it, but the whole system of defining mediia pools and project directories and so on is very irritating coming from Premiere, where I just manage all my media and folders myself and drag and drop.

They could do with making it more friendly like that in V13

25 minutes ago, jgharding said:

I'd love to use it, but the whole system of defining mediia pools and project directories and so on is very irritating coming from Premiere, where I just manage all my media and folders myself and drag and drop.

They could do with making it more friendly like that in V13

Drag and drop into the media pool works fine in Resolve?

17 minutes ago, cpc said:

Drag and drop into the media pool works fine in Resolve?

Is that a question or a statement? I've not used in a while so my knowledge could be out of date...

What I mean is: you had to manage projects and users in a very arbitrary way. I'd like to just bang open a project and start throwing stuff in. The last time I used it, the whole thing was needlessly complicated for my use: define a user, log in as a user, start a project, all the folders had to be manually defined and so on, it all felt slow and clunkiy. The whole thing didn't seem as friewndly and fast as just opening a project, dragging stuff in and going.

If this is no longer true though, I'll happily give it another try, in fact I hope I'm entirely worng, as the grading interface is exceptional

7 minutes ago, jgharding said:

Is that a question or a statement? I've not used in a while so my knowledge could be out of date...

What I mean is: you had to manage projects and users in a very arbitrary way. I'd like to just bang open a project and start throwing stuff in. The last time I used it, the whole thing was needlessly complicated for my use: define a user, log in as a user, start a project, all the folders had to be manually defined and so on, it all felt slow and clunkiy. The whole thing didn't seem as friewndly and fast as just opening a project, dragging stuff in and going.

If this is no longer true though, I'll happily give it another try, in fact I hope I'm entirely worng, as the grading interface is exceptional

No, this is no longer true. You don't need to define a user etc. You can simply create a new project and drag clips into the media pool and start editing straight away.

If you are creating a very large project then smart bins help - they automatically store specific items like sound clips, stills etc

Dragging and dropping of files from explorer/finder works great since 12 I believe.

Realtime performance with H264 footage @ 1080p on a modest setup (i5, 16gb, 270x) on a gigabit NAS. 4k just set the pre-rendering to smart and it works like a charm (grading/ofx filmconvert doesn't require a re-render)

Just a shame some of the built in plugins (dust removal for example) requires specific codecs.

OSX (latest), GTX980ti (latest video + CUDA), 12 Core MacPro 3GHz 24GB, SSDs: Resolve 12.5 can play C300 II 4K24p files smoothly, 1DX II 4K24p files almost real-time and choppy, and A7S II 4K24p files are very choppy / slow. It's nice that 12.5 can load all these formats natively with audio- still a ways to go as an NLE replacement in terms of basic real-time performance. FCPX is currently the fastest, PP CC is about 1/2 as fast (but can play near real-time with 1/2 playback resolution or less), and Resolve 12.5 is perhaps faster for C300 II clips, about the same as 1DX II clips (perhaps a bit better compared to PP CC full playback resolution), but much slower with A7S II clips.