Turns out people hate being filmed

dbp

"Oo I'm filming you!" - I don't get it. What's so scary about being filmed? We can all SEE YOU in real life too. Some people just kinda hate the idea that someone sees them. Which is weird, we see each other every day.

I mean sure, filming people like this isn't exactly nice. But hey, look at the funny reactions! Totally worth it. Atleast the videos aren't monetized.

19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

First 4 minutes are hilarious, then I stopped it - does it get a bit repetitive after that? If not then I'll watch the full 50 minutes :)

I think in the 90's there wasn't the urge to control our own images quite so much or the suspicion over how the material would be used.

The internet changed all that and it does make it more difficult to capture a slice of life, documentary style, undetected. People behaving naturally. If you ask them permission, it changes the nature of the footage, it feels stiff and staged.

This video from the 1987 is great! Everyone is so... natural.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/9/2016 at 7:30 AM, Andrew Reid said:

I think in the 90's there wasn't the urge to control our own images quite so much or the suspicion over how the material would be used.

The internet changed all that and it does make it more difficult to capture a slice of life, documentary style, undetected.

Yeah.  I think it is a perfectly rational reaction.  I don't like to be filmed or photographed or recorded unless it is just a generic public seen like a square full of people.

With the way the internet is forever and people misuse images it is prudent to be a bit cautious.

16 hours ago, Davey said:

Turns out that people hate being filmed - by arseholes.

Yup.  I have noticed a certain phenomenon when I've been out shooting with a film camera that some people purposely wander into your shot because they think you are a professional and they are going to be famous or something.

It's interesting what the internet age has done.  Some people react by wanting more privacy and wanting more control over their image and others want more fame and more distribution of their image.