Canon 5D Mark IV spotted on Red Bull sponsored surf shoot

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

canon-levi-siver.jpg

In this Instagram post Levi Siver is working on a windsurfing feature with a crew, for an "unreleased Canon camera". In the picture you can indeed see a Canon camera on a rig, although not clearly enough to make out the model. In the comments he's asked if it is a 5D Mark IV, and in his reply he says "Yep it is", smilie face.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hmmmmm.... doubt he'll get that opportunity again.

And not to knit pick but as a American surfer I can't understand why Europeans don't get that surfing is surfing. Stand up paddle boarding, windsurfing and kite boarding are NOT surfing. Please stop calling them that. Germans especially seem to confuse kite boarding and surfing. Drives me nuts. /rant 

Hi Guys - I have worked with Levi (back when HD was AMAZING) and he is one of the great Athletes in windsurfing.

I know action sports are a little bit generic these days but his latest clip is pretty special  - 

I do see the need to head in different directions for fresh promo material - having said that shooting windsurfing is one of the hardest gigs I have done to stay on top of focus and exposure. A really good showcase for testing the dynamics of a camera.

And you do get exposed to some sensational colors.

Bit of a leak for sure - but the fact that people are interested is a great sign for Canon. I love the full frame look (which I can nearly get anyway on my voigt 25 / GH4 combo)

As a GH4 lover / addict / user  I really wish it was a Panasonic GH5 leak... Panny - time to start leaking!!

Is this not the norm these days?

The 5D3 was spotted in a similar way, maybe more noticeable now since the craze of instagramming the sh*t out of everything without thinking.

http://www.slashgear.com/canon-5d-mark-iii-spotted-in-the-wild-23210416/

I suspect the attitude that Canon or others have when letting a new model out of the lab door is that it will be seen and spotted soon enough and it is no longer at risk of being harmed by competitor scrutiny and risk from them trying to file a blocking patent on something innovative and new. Unless it's revealed front and center in detail, or an NDA period is clearly breached by speech or writing about specifications - I can't see them giving a damn, or having much legal power to do anything about it. If they were really concerned, they would disguise the body, like they do with pre-production cars when they go out on real-world road tests.

Luckily for Canon, all their cameras look the same...no cutting edge stealth technology to be stolen from image reconnaissance there. :)

The benefit to Canon of leak like this is that makes anyone thinking of switching brands think twice. A rig like that suggests that cutting edge stabilisation may not be a key feature of the new camera (if that's what this is).

7 hours ago, josef said:

And not to knit pick but as a American surfer I can't understand why Europeans don't get that surfing is surfing. Stand up paddle boarding, windsurfing and kite boarding are NOT surfing. Please stop calling them that. Germans especially seem to confuse kite boarding and surfing. Drives me nuts. /rant 

You might wanna chat to a native Hawaiian about that.... Surfing is riding a wave on a board... SUP has roots in the original surfing of Hawaiian kings, you must know that, surely? If you are SUPing on a wave, you are surfing in the original sense of the word.

It appears that it's only the action sports/skater guys who still use canon dslr's for movie making..  they're so busy enjoying their full throttle lives they don;t have the time to sit browsing the web for the latest and greatest gear.  The only other camera the action guys seem to know about is gopro and if they're happy with the ghastly image from that, a crippled 5dmk4 will be a dream.  If canon didn't reach out to this crowd then they'd not sell any dslr's for video stuff

27 minutes ago, richg101 said:

It appears that it's only the action sports/skater guys who still use canon dslr's for movie making..  they're so busy enjoying their full throttle lives they don;t have the time to sit browsing the web for the latest and greatest gear.  The only other camera the action guys seem to know about is gopro and if they're happy with the ghastly image from that, a crippled 5dmk4 will be a dream.  If canon didn't reach out to this crowd then they'd not sell any dslr's for video stuff

Why so bitter ;) jokes

I know a lot of people who have full throttle lives, who switched to sony because on paper and appearance, it seemed like a much better choice. But once they switched their pictures start looking bad, in every way, and this continues after the adjusting period. I can think of a lot of reasons. 

Sometimes better isn't better. Years ago I started following people who used the pentax 6x7 and mamiya rz67 because those were the cameras that interested me. The general trend is that these people bought a Hasselblad afterwards, because it's more convenient and the lenses are supposed to be great. Turns out that the quality of the photos went down the drain, but if you ask on geek forums, everybody will tell you hasselblad is the best.

1 hour ago, richg101 said:

as a guy who is in the skateboarding filming industry i can confirm that +80% of the cameras used are t3i, 6d and mark iii. Some use the a7s but most stick with canon. I think the reason is that the image is "good enough" for a lot people. Seeing that a lot of skate videos still are filmed with sony x2100 and vx1000's the canon image defiently look better than those.

8 hours ago, DPC said:

The benefit to Canon of leak like this is that makes anyone thinking of switching brands think twice. A rig like that suggests that cutting edge stabilisation may not be a key feature of the new camera (if that's what this is).

So true, just TODAY I was seriously wondering if Canon would ever announce a Mk IV as I am looking over at Panasonic and Sony, what a coincidence!!
I mean, if that actually is the Mk IV, and really, even if it is I still doubt they would provide anything that could beat the hot competition now... it will be expensive on release, and by that time the current cameras in the spotlight will be cheaper too, I can already get an A7s on the used market for cheaper than a Mk III used as well here. Only if you are stuck with fancy Canon glass is it worth to wait a little while longer.

"The wind-surfing quite possibly suggests Dual-Pixel AF will play a big part of the new marketing campaign . . ."

DPAF on the 5D! Nice, but still no MJPEG codec probably. 5D body is no match for 1D heat management, recording data rate, and processing power.

At least Canon is working on new models. I hope the 1DC II is next, along with the C500 II or C200/C100 III.