Essential 'Cine' lens for my Lumix G7?

Alphonzo Alegrado

I've been using the 14-42mm kits lens and want to invest in a a good prime lens, mainly for video use. 

Ideally one with in-lens stabilisation, quiet focusing, aperture between f1.4-f1.8, and a 20-25mm focal length. 

Now, my main concern now is whether I should get a micro four thirds lens, and have all the compatibility perks that go with it, OR buy an adapter so I can use Canon/Samyang/Rokinon glass with my lens, then just buy a separate stabilizer for the camera anyway. 

All help is much appreciated. Thank you! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Go for cheap speedbooster if you dont afraid of manual focusing:

http://www.zyoptics.net/product/zhongyi-lens-turbo-adapters-for-micro-four-thirds-cameras-m43/

Minolta MD / Canon FD mount is your best choice, and go for fast primes

Here are the lens you can choose from if you go with Minolta: 

http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/

If you want to go native m43 mount, it's much more expensive, but you can have AF and stabilisation

Your third option is to get a 4/3 to m43 adapter, and get cheap 4/3 lens. You can have AF + stab with this option, but good 4/3 are rare even on ebay

My opinion is that IS within a lens isnt anymore important in the future, since IBIS will do it. The gx80 does it already extremly well and it will even get better.

your choice boils down to:

- do you accept fly by wire focussing lenses?

- is size an issue?

if you hate fly by wire as I do, basically all olympus and panasonic lenses are out.

if you want it small, have a look at the voigtländers.

if size is not an issue, go with any speed booster and any lens you like.

if you need AF it gets tricky - either you accept fly by wire or you need to go the EF route with a metabones speed booster.

10 hours ago, Alphonzo Alegrado said:

Ideally one with in-lens stabilisation, quiet focusing, aperture between f1.4-f1.8, and a 20-25mm focal length. 

Afaik no such lens exists.. this might be the closest you can get - Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM - and you would need a smart adapter or smart speedbooster to get a nice focal length

Maybe look at the Canon FD 28mm f/2 S.S.C.? With the cheap Zhongyi focal reducer making it 20mm f1.4.

Not stabalised but very cheap (around £200/$300). Sounds like you are happy to spend the spare change on a separate stabalizer anyway. 

The panasonic 20 would be my dreamlens if it wasnt a fly by wire lens. Seriously, if one could mod that lens to manual focus i would pay a premium for it, dont care about the AF.

20mm on m43 is just about perfect in my opinion and the pana20

is a stellar performer!

I had the suggested canon 35 2.0 is - but you would have to use the expensive metabones xl speedbooster to turn it into a 22mm lens. Yet the awesome thing about the canon glas in general would be that you get AF *and* nice manual focus. Especially for street this is quite nice. As much as i love my voigtländer and MF, stil there are moments in time were AF is quite handy.

the sigma 20 and rokinons are just too big for my taste, but that is totally subjective.