GH2 first time camera owner.

paulva

Hi,

I will be using the GH2 purely for filming shorts.

Purchased the 14-42mm kit ( I know it is not the best in comparison to the other option ).

I've read Andrew's Shooter Guide, on top of that; can any of you recommend 1-3 lenses
that are [b]MUST HAVE[/b] under the $500 range that would suit my needs.

I don't want to go overboard and  buy lenses that I don't necessarily need just yet since I am a complete beginner.
But, if there is at least one mandatory lens that I could use to compliment my stock 14-42mm for shooting shorts;
I would like to buy it.

Thank you for your time!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Have you considered buying an adapter and using other brands' lenses?

With the adapter you can buy fairly good used lenses. You can buy the old ones, which are usually cheaper - since you won't be able to use the AF anyway. Unless MF is a problem for you, I think it's a pretty nice and cheap solution.

Just remember that m4/3 crop factor is 2x.

Renting Glass is the best way to figure out what you want. 

Borrowlenses or Lensrentals (personal fav) have cheap prices and a great selection.  You can rent exotic lenses for under $100 a week.

Adapters are a fun way to try out expensive glass for video shoots.

[url=http://tiny.cc/z4l6g]http://tiny.cc/z4l6g[/url]

That one above lets you use Leica M lenses (expensive but used ones are not that bad and renting is fun).

Take care!

I think you need the 25 or 24 . These is a standard focal lenght. Not wide, not tele, it's on the middle.
I got the canon FD 24mm 2.0 . It's is very good but I didn't find on ebay right now. Maybe is hard to find. Another option is the canon FD 35 mm 2.0
I use for the moment just canons FD. Good glass and construction for the price.
For wide shots I got the slr magic 12mm. It's a fantastic lens. More expensive but really great.
Saludos.

I'm a journalist who has used a Panasonic AG-HMC150 for video but I'm a complete newb when it comes to photography, micro four thirds and DSLRs. But I just sold my HMC150 and picked up a used GH2 on the cheap. I don't understand the difference between any of the lenses listed above. Should I start with the 14-42mm kit lens? The guy who sold me the camera threw in a Canon adapter and an old Canon FD 50 mm 1:1.8 lens with it. Can I use that for learning photography and videography on the GH2?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I bought the EOSHD guide but it didn't identify which lenses I should start with.

I started with the Panasonic Hpx 170 (very similar to 150, just change the card) and three months ago I switch to GH2.
On video we are familiar with the zoom lens ,but I think the great power on GH2 are the prime lens to get the best image. A good zoom lens (bright one and constant iris) is very expensive, big and heavy.
For run and gun style I suggest to have the 14-42 or the 14-140, but the best image must been made with a prime lens.
Now I like to focus manually and to move the iris on the lens. I don't use panasonic automatic lens. Of course that's a personal choise and style... I have the 14-140mm but I didn't like to use it, but I want to practice with it for Run and gun ocasions.

I suggest three lens to start:

1. 12 mm 1.6 slr magic ( 500 us)
2. 24 mm 2.0 Canon FD (Don't know the price but it should be cheap)
3. 50 mm 1.4 Canon FD ( 200 us I think)

The Nokton 25 mm 0.95 is my dream , I don't have it yet. It cost money but great lens are expensive...
Saludos.

The 50 mm with GH2 works as 100 mm lens, so it's like a tele. It's a good lens to have, but I think you will still need the 12 or at least the 25 mm to get more wide shoots.

The panasonic prime lens are different in terms of size, weight, they have automatic and manual focus and you must control the iris by the dial on the GH2.

Is a matter of personal taste. I prefer Canon FD but the panasonic lumix prime lens are very good lens.
I don't use automatic focus and I like to have the iris control on the lens. Also prefer the focus ring of the canon's FD. The panasonic hasn't an end stop, don't have marks...are more expensive than the canons FD.
It's a personal choice. You have to shoot and check them and then decided.
Rental is a good option like Sara said before buy.
Saludos!

Hello, This is my first message! My name is Jonathan, I'm French, and I live around Paris (40km from the city to be exact, so in the close suburb).

I acquired a gh2 at the beginning of 2012, so not long ago, I bought it with the panasonic 14-140mm lens, and I just bought and received the helios 44M with the adaptater today!
So I replaced the Panasonic lens with the Helios, and I have to say it's working great!!! It looks good even if I wouldn't shoot a whole movie with it, it's still fun to experiment with!

I have a question though, I noticed that there was a very tiny looseness between my lenses and the body of the camera, (a tiny little bit of play, between both? I don't know if it's correct in english) not even a millimeter, something barely noticeable, so I just wanted to ask if it was normal, as the lens and the camera body aren't one whole object but two different parts put together...

I thank you for your attention, and hope I'll be able to make a constructive contribution to this forum...
Jonathan.

Hi Jonathan, Welcome! Bienvenido!
I also have the helios 44m but I didn't use it yet, because my adapter is in US. I have to wait until abril.

For the moment I use my canons FD with an adapter. I check what you said and yes , it got a little movement my canon fd's adapter but I didn't have problem to shoot. I think you don't have to worried about that, probably is normal.

Saludos!
Francisco.

Great! Thank you very much!

I already heard great things about the canon FD! I also watched a video on youtube where it was compared with the Super Takumar 50mm 1.4, both lenses'results were amazing even if I have a little preference for the Canon's ones!

Now I have to install the hack on my camera, and then I'll be able to really get started!
I hope you will enjoy the helios 44M as much as I do!!!

[quote]I'm a journalist who has used a Panasonic AG-HMC150 for video but I'm a complete newb when it comes to photography, micro four thirds and DSLRs. But I just sold my HMC150 and picked up a used GH2 on the cheap.[/quote]Heh, I'm in the process of selling my HMC40 for a GH2. ;)

I was going to ask about lens to. I plan to get the 14-140mm kit lens to start with, but wondering if there are better options for filmmaking.

The 50mm 1.4 sounds like a good place to start, thanks!