Canon C300 Cinema EOS camera - specs and initial thoughts

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/201111036017.jpg[/img]

Canon’s new Cinema EOS camera is here and it is 5D Mark II inspired in terms of design although not price! Costing over $16,000 the Canon EOS C300 has a far more compact and less cluttered design than the Sony FS100 or F3. The camera takes on the look of a DSLR with built in EVF. The camera will be available in January 2012.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/5131/canon-c300-cinema-eos-camera-specs-and-initial-thoughts/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest philipgoetz
[html]

Can’t wait to start selling, outfitting and shooting video on this!

http://shop.texasmediasystems.com/Canon-Cinema-EOS_p_4551.html

@txmedia
www.vimeo.com/txmedia

[/html]

Guest charleslim
[html]

Canon just slamdunked the sony f3 for sure on all points. I am now curious to know about the low light performance and latitude now, wondering if those would apporach Alexa levels.

[/html]

[html]

12 stops of latitude, better in the shadows than Alexa, not as good in the highlights. It’s only 8 bit color, but the way the sensor processes light info makes up for this. It’s a heck of a camera, but out of my price range. I can’t help but think lots of folks are going to be underwhelmed, when they should look into the tech behind this camera, and find out why it really is different, and capable on the big screen of knocking your socks off.

[/html]

[html]

WHAT`S THE POINT OF THIS??
you said it andrew, 20k is rental only.
and if i rent it`s surely going to be an alexa. (4/4/4, latitude, 120fps by december, etc..)
given the short lifespan of these new cameras buying is not an option at all!
just remember that you can still shoot state of the art with a 40 year old arri IIc! and these new guns hardly last two to three years!!
also all of the lenses are already available and rental houses are stuffed with alexas and lenses.. not to mention epics, f3`s, etc..
what`s the point of a 30-300 zomm when you can rent a 24-290 optimo?
i also don`t think that it`s going to kick sony`s ass as the f3 does 4/4/4 and log …

i`ll have a close eye on a scarlet, at half the price it surely will be a great b-camera to go with the alexa…

[/html]

Guest danyyyel
[html]

I don’t see how it better than the f3 in anyway. The s-log f3 (about the same price) does 13.5 stop Dr, latest firmware 14-14.5 stops, 60Fps 1080p, 4.4.4 uncompressed output. Now we are not even comparing it to the new Red Scarlet X, with true 4k raw recording for body $ 10 000, package $ 14 000. We should wait to buy it for $ 7000 in 6 month.

[/html]

Guest ryansarver
[html]

Except, the F3 with S-Log upgrade gets 13.5 stops now – then with future upgrade this month 14.5 stops…..compared to 12 stops with Canons Log. I wouldn’t call that a slam dunk at all – more of an airball. Sony also has the option for 1080p60 out dual HD-SDI. The Canon camera has some great points for sure but I am not sure it is as revolutionary as they want everyone to believe.

[/html]

[html]

It’s not what they want everyone to believe, it’s just an engineering fact. I’m smart enough to study the tech behind their claims, not take their’s, or anyone’s claim at face value.
Canon will release firmware upgrades that allow for DR expansion if DPs request it, but at 12 stops it’s already awesome. Numbers, numbers, numbers…Always numbers! How ’bout judging it’s merits on the true indicator of performance…the IMAGE!…”Specs are nothing. Image is everything….Obey your image.”

[/html]

Guest lawrencebansbach
[html]

It’s 8-bit, not 10. And S35 is a bonus, not a drawback. Film cameras are S35. A VistaVision-sized sensor would be a liability in most shooting situations: larger lenses and unnecessarily shallow DOF at any field of view. But, yeah, 1080p and Digic III seem too little too late.

[/html]

Preston Media in the UK are now selling the C300 for £10k with a year to find the money which probably means a year's grace for the dealer to pay as well. So get the work first then pay in a year's time. Not a desperate measure but Canon wanting to get in to a market quickly. This also explains the MPEG2 workflow, proven and usable out of the box. Japan probably insisted on this to prove the concept and make some money. Don't get bogged down with the numbers, look at the image and lets get Andrew a camera.