Canon XC10 versus Sony RX10 III. The Canon is underrated!

Andrew Reid

I actually liked the RX10ii. It's a fun camera. And I even liked the harsh, kinda mushy ugliness of its 1080p, but yeah there was nothing, except price, that I found remotely as good as the XC10... well I guess the constant 2.8 lens is nice. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The RX 10ii was the most disappointing thing since my son.

Kidding, I have no son, but the RX10ii is definitely my most regretted camera purchase. The originally much-hyped "great 1080p" is camcordery and mushy, the colors are Sony at their worst and the sensor is noisy as hell. Combined with the slow (and painful to use due to shit focus-by-wire) lens it made the camera require insane amounts of light to produce useable slow-motion. In bright daylight or with huge lighting setups it could produce decent-for-youtube results but jesus christ was it a pain to use and completely soulless. Can't say I miss it one bit.

28 minutes ago, Ehetyz said:

The RX 10ii was the most disappointing thing since my son.

Kidding, I have no son, but the RX10ii is definitely my most regretted camera purchase. The originally much-hyped "great 1080p" is camcordery and mushy, the colors are Sony at their worst and the sensor is noisy as hell. Combined with the slow (and painful to use due to shit focus-by-wire) lens it made the camera require insane amounts of light to produce useable slow-motion. In bright daylight or with huge lighting setups it could produce decent-for-youtube results but jesus christ was it a pain to use and completely soulless. Can't say I miss it one bit.

Is the RX10 series worse than the RX100 series for video? I always assumed they were identical except for the lens.

One note on the RX-series. I'm using the RX1RM2 and electronic steady-shot completely destroys the image quality for 1080p. It looks more like 480p than 1080 with steady-shot turned on, but without steady shot the image is quite decent.

RX10 II could have been an incredible camera if it had :

1) a sharper lens (don't trust those "amazing sharp zeiss lens" bullshit reviews). The lens is barely ok for video, as mercer said, there is something filmic about its softness, but photos are pretty much unusable at the tele photo end, and i'm not exaggerating.

2) a mechanical zoom ring or at the very least a focus by wire with linear response (this should not be so hard to fix with a firmware update). Or an autofocus on par with the RX100 V...

Those are the two complains that I have with this camera (actually I just remembered that I hate the lens wobbling around), but they are big ones :/ So I'm hesitating to sell it. I might keep it for its slow mo capabilities and overall versatility though. (and what I can get from it with a video assist, recording prores). We'll see :) 

Video reviews to come (RX10 II, RX100 V, BMMCC...), if i'm not lazy !

On 6/4/2016 at 0:04 AM, Eric Calabros said:

When will we accept this reality that with hybrids you have to compromise many things for the sake of not carrying another cam? I don't understand all this obsession with "convenience"!

I can only speak for myself, but...

On my jobs I need a main camera and a backup camera in case one dies / overheats / whatever. 

So if I needed a separate camera for stills and another camera for video, then I would have to bring FOUR bodies (main and backup stills cameras, main and backup video camera).

That is why I am using (for now) the Sony a6300. It can be a COMPLETELY FRUSTRATING camera at times, but it does the job and I have a backup for it as well, so I am only carrying two bodies and not four bodies.

8 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Is the RX10 series worse than the RX100 series for video? I always assumed they were identical except for the lens.

One note on the RX-series. I'm using the RX1RM2 and electronic steady-shot completely destroys the image quality for 1080p. It looks more like 480p than 1080 with steady-shot turned on, but without steady shot the image is quite decent.

They are the same camera, except for lens and body. The package is different but the electronics are basically the same.

3 hours ago, Papiskokuji said:

RX10 II could have been an incredible camera if it had :

1) a sharper lens (don't trust those "amazing sharp zeiss lens" bullshit reviews). The lens is barely ok for video, as mercer said, there is something filmic about its softness, but photos are pretty much unusable at the tele photo end, and i'm not exaggerating.

Any zoom lens with a range greater than x3 (or at most x4) is going to be "unfortunate".

• 1 month later...

This was a test for me to see how well the camera would do in run and gun while I framed shots and had minimal control of operations.

It was shot entirely hand held, mostly autofocus, in TV mode, using Wide DR (no.8) pic. profile. There is frequent use of the Canon wide angle lens, which I mounted via the threads on the ND filter mounted on the camera lens. Fortunately, the ND filter threads were robust enough to hold the WD58 without any concern for the len's weight. At the widest angle the lens vignettes a bit. I caught one instance of vignetting in the final video, but mostly I was able to eliminate it while shooting by adjusting the zoom so it was just short of the widest setting.

My only direct control, except for a few moments of manual focus, was with the shutter speed, and the decision of add the internal ND filter to the 3 stop ND filter mounted on my lens to assist the camera in getting correct exposure in the bright Texas sun. Otherwise, the camera made the decisions on focus and exposure.

There is a section of the video where I shot a live marimba performance of African music from Zimbabwe...pretty cool, and it looks like they had a good time performing as did all the listeners.

Video was shot in 4k 300 mbps, transcoded to Pro Res, and edited in Final Cut, with minimal adjustments in exposure and color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLJEUlekhsU&feature=youtu.be

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2017 at 7:52 PM, DaveAltizer said:

Love your vids! Thank you for your reviews. Ive been considering a CX15 for YouTube content because of the 4k and XLR adapter. Also it'll pair nicely with my 1DC as a B cam

That's nice of you. I think you'll be happy with the pairing--the colors are very compatible.

Here's one on exposure lock--with this you'll never shoot manual while run and gun.

17 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

That's nice of you. I think you'll be happy with the pairing--the colors are very compatible.

Here's one on exposure lock--with this you'll never shoot manual while run and gun.

Fantastic review and tutorial explanations.  From watching I've incorporated the reassignment of the push auto focus and will return to experimenting in shooting in TV mode.  I was before and got but away from it.