DAM software

gethin

I need to get my stock clips organised.  Thought I'd have a look at adobe bridge as a starting point and found it wont thumbnail h.265 (so imagine dnxhd would be right out).

Dont need anything hugely complex - well in fact I need something like bridge, but for video files.  Any suggestions?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
47 minutes ago, gethin said:

@Axel Kyno looks like exactly what i need. Alas I'm a windows user. I'll go nag them on their website :)  

It's brand new, beta version for OSX, and Windows version on the way.

27 minutes ago, gethin said:

I found this one: http://www.squarebox.com/  CATDV. Anyone using it?

No, no need for it. Saw it before. It's basically what you are asking for to judge from the (well hidden) description in their reference guide: "A cross-platform media cataloging and video logging tool."

However, their site is completely incomprehensible, a 30-days-trial is mentioned, but no prices. To get he app running, you need to *import* media first, and that's what's ridiculous to start with. I want to have instant access to everything on my system, I want to browse it, evaluate it and subclip and tag it so that it is somehow prepared for the import in the NLE.

BTW: did you check Prelude? 

Nope didn't think about prelude.  I always saw it as a logging program rather than a dam, but maybe it'll do for now.  I agree the CATDV website looks like its from the 90's, I did find pricing though.  the simple version is $99 USD, which is fine (if it does what I need). The pro is $450 ish which I wouldn't stretch to.

59 minutes ago, gethin said:

Nope didn't think about prelude.  I always saw it as a logging program rather than a dam.

Yes. The design of Preludes GUI is also not very lightweight (as Kyno describes itself: "The main point is, that is is much more light-weight than typical MAMs because it does not require an import/ingest step before you can do something useful with your material. That means there is not really a concept of "inside" or "outside" of Kyno, which also means there is no global search of all content Kyno has ever seen.")

This could also be the reason why many Premiere users don't know Prelude. They are not familiar with the concept of logging clips. Actually knowing your footage in advance, having it consolidated before import (in short: having it logged and organized) is a big time-saver. It needs a good player for that, batch-renaming and a search filter.  

EDIT: 

I am not sure if it supports all kinds of codecs, but the afaik free Sony Catalyst Browse could be something worth trying. Used it once when FS7s XAVC-L was not yet working in FCP X and found it to be fun. Excellent player, unrivaled meta data view.

Hmm so with kyno you cant search all your media?  (like you can with lightroom?)  Ho Hum.  I just downloaded acdsee.  Its a bit retro, but actually supports h.265, not DMX though (but I've only got a handful at the moment).  You can tag and keyword, and build catalogues and smart catalogues.  With my photography background its very familiar, but I probably should check out prelude too. (Just hope it's search is better than the one in premiere).

3 hours ago, gethin said:

@Hans Punk is this an asset management software or a media player?  Confused.

Both (and a load more).

Worth checking out the tutorial videos on vimeo and online to get an idea of how it works. It is probably one of the most powerful player/ asset organisers out there - and will be overkill for most, but when you deal with mixed media from high or low end  formats - it works seamlessly.  

2 min in on this video hints at some of it's very powerful features that can be very useful to review and organise media on a drive : 

Ah OK, well I'll give that a whirl. Currently downloading it. It saying it'll take 9 hours. Regional australia FTW!

Thanks both of you, its been a big help :)

Trying prelude too. Wish it would play back my slowmo clips slow like kyno promises to

edit: well not sure if its because I'm remote desktopping or a problem with my system, but cant get scratch to open (I click it, nothing happens, no process is task manager) and prelude wont preview clips (I hit play and nothing happens).  Some head scratching here...

1 hour ago, gethin said:

edit: well not sure if its because I'm remote desktopping or a problem with my system, but cant get scratch to open (I click it, nothing happens, no process is task manager) and prelude wont preview clips (I hit play and nothing happens).  Some head scratching here...

Be patient ...

I am not cutting with Premiere (but know it until CS5.5), but if I still did, I didn't use Prelude either. Compared to the direct access and fluidity the Kyno demo suggests, it's ancient software. Compared to the usability of the MAM features within FCP X, it was sheer masochism to prepare footage that way. You still have to double-click clips to load them, you still have only thumbnails for the awkwardly designed 'hover scrubber', you still have those almost useless colored markers instead of intelligent filters. Yes, and there are **folders** - quote from the video in the link: The classic method of using containers to organize your material (...) is kind of the old school way of doing it, but {using metadata} is the way of the future, it's ridiculously powerful.

That said, when do I really need mighty tools for media management? Only if I was confronted with a lot of footage. Anything below, say, a hundred clips can easily be found in Premiere with different techniques to audit and sort them. But at a certain point, you'll need something more efficient.

• 1 year later...

I have been using Lightroom for media management, but I just doesn't survive any more with GH5 files. I quickly tried acdsee, but it doesn't support them either. 

What I am looking for:

- quick browsing

- keyword tagging

- ability to see the content of the clip

Any suggestions?