Super mobile editing workspace: Need your ideas!

Jonesy Jones

Hey guys, I could really use your help. 

Within the next month or so my living and working arrangements are going to change drastically. In the past/present, I've always used a bedroom or closet as my workspace and that has always worked for me, but that is not going to be an option soon and I need to become super mobile. Like, one day working from a hotel room, next day my truck, next day a coffee shop... you get the idea. Right now I'm doing most of my work on an iMac and I love it, but I just can't see a way to make that as mobile as I need it to be, I'll be going to a MacBook Pro most likely. 

That part's easy. But there are some peripherals that, I don't necessarily need day to day, but that I use enough that I need to work them into the plan - like audio/speakers, external monitor, etc. 

As mentioned, the system will probably be built around a MacBook Pro and my favorite idea right now is to get a Pelican case that can house the laptop and peripherals. Obviously the laptop is ultra portable on it's own, but I'd also like a system where I can open the Pelican case and go to work. 

What I need are your thoughts and ideas, any of them, but also specifically with audio/speakers, an external monitor, and possibly a small power solution.

• Audio/speakers - obviously I can use headphones, but I know from experience these are not good enough for a final mix. Right now I'm using 5" KRK's, but those are way too big. I've had them for years and haven't looked anytime recently, maybe you know of something with awesome sound and super portable, and maybe even bus powered.
  • External monitor - it might seem like this is something I can do without, and maybe I can, but I am thinking this is something I need for some scenarios. Even if it's small. Just something I can use in addition to the laptop screen. I've got a 7" Lilliput, would that be weird? Any other ideas would be welcome.
  • Power - I think that much of the time I'll be able to plug in, but is there a cool little power pack of some sort that can run a laptop and accessories for an hour or two? 

Thanks in advance guys. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What I would do:

• wait a couple weeks....IF Apple announces new laptops at their WWDC, hopefully recharging will be via USB-C

(then there should be many more battery options than currently with MagSafe)

• get a 12.9" iPad Pro and connect via TwoMonUSB

(four speakers are built into iPad Pro 12.9" or 9.7", but only 9.7" has DCI-P3 gamut)

Reference headphones will be far superior to any small speaker setup. I've been cutting audio spots for local radio for years, you don't have to go overboard, something like Sony 7506's are a great budget option and they're built like a tank. A hot rodded MacBook Pro with max ram and the video upgrade should do the trick for a mobile workstation, the 1tb PCIe drives are faster than the smaller ones. FCPx is much faster than any other NLE IMO. 

Not sure which NLE you use, but for a mobile-friendly setup, Premiere's next update is supposed to greatly improve the way the software handles proxy editing, especially on less-powerful, more portable setups, which could definitely be useful for you: 

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/whats-coming-next-in-adobe-premiere-pro-cc-and-media-encoder-cc/

For some reason I can't edit my post, but what I meant to say about FCPx is that it's faster on a Mac laptop than any other NLE, again IMO. My mobile setup was a MacBook Air, i7, 8gb with a 1tb PCI-e SSD, and while slower than my 6-core trashcan Mac Pro, I could edit 4k files from the GH4 without issues. 

If Apple goes all in with USB-c I'm grabbing one of the current models with a USB port that doesn't require an adapter for every existing USB device I own, plus you get a display port and SD reader without an adapter that's not as convenient as MagSafe - which I love. Until the rest of the world is on board and the machines have more than one input, I'm passing on USB-c. 

5 hours ago, photographer-at-large said:

What I would do:

• wait a couple weeks....IF Apple announces new laptops at their WWDC, hopefully recharging will be via USB-C

(then there should be many more battery options than currently with MagSafe)

• get a 12.9" iPad Pro and connect via TwoMonUSB

(four speakers are built into iPad Pro 12.9" or 9.7", but only 9.7" has DCI-P3 gamut)

Definitely going to wait a couple/few weeks, and thanks for the iPad tip. I think right now that's my first choice for an external monitor.

3 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

Audio: stick to reference quality headphones. Speakers will sound different in different environments.

2 hours ago, The Chris said:

Reference headphones will be far superior to any small speaker setup. I've been cutting audio spots for local radio for years, you don't have to go overboard, something like Sony 7506's are a great budget option and they're built like a tank. A hot rodded MacBook Pro with max ram and the video upgrade should do the trick for a mobile workstation, the 1tb PCIe drives are faster than the smaller ones. FCPx is much faster than any other NLE IMO. 

I actually already have the 7506's, if I end with this as my audio monitoring setup it'll save me some money and space for sure.

53 minutes ago, mkabi said:

You should look into rack systems... And suitcases that will hold rack systems.

Those look really cool. A bit power hungry I'm sure but an interesting solution. hmmm...

Re mixing audio on 'phones, I have been getting very good results using the plug ins from http://sonarworks.com/ - and also TB Isone http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/ - I like using monitors too, have been looking at a cheap small 3" set - these seem to get good feedback and are definitely cheap - the little Alesis 320's http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-M1-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0011Z87I0

also thinkin about getting mobile as much as possible, but my calculations included all the gears for shooting and edtiting. So i'm thinkin about a smartphone that can be used as additional video recorded device and also small monitor. There is software that allowed to use it wireless. But is there any phone with good enough screen for cg reference?)

also thinkin about getting mobile as much as possible, but my calculations included all the gears for shooting and edtiting. So i'm thinkin about a smartphone that can be used as additional video recorded device and also small monitor. There is software that allowed to use it wireless. But is there any phone with good enough screen for cg reference?)