Cheap wide

ricardo_sousa11

Hey everyone,

Im in need for a cheap ultra wide lens (zoom or prime), I tried the 10-18, and its quite decent for what I need, but focus by wire makes it impossible to use on the Samsung, so am currently looking for some suggestions. So far the only that occurs to me is either the Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-22 and Samyang 14mm f2.8, but i'd prefer wider than that.

What do you guys suggest ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Any wider than that and you're getting close to fisheye territory. 

I guess you could try one of those Rokinon/Samyang 8mm fisheye lenses for Canon or Nikon. Since it would crop in a bit, it may get rid of the worse outer edges of the fisheye effect... But not by much. 

Never mind the Rokinon is for aps-c so it will be fisheye no matter what. 

Yeah I agree, the Roki 12mm f2 is awesome, and for me, it's the obvious choice for an ultra-wide on NX cameras. It's very small and lightweight, and of course it's f2! I used to own the 10-18mm, loved it, but had to sell it for the same reasons as Ricardo, as sadly it's just unusable with fly-by-wire adapted. I also briefly owned the sigma 10-20mm, which I bought to replace the canon, it was fine, but too slow for my needs. The rokinon 12mm f2 is both very sharp and very fast! Awesome for steadicam stuff (including low light) and astrophotography as well. For me the extra stop was more useful than the zoom and 1 millimeter more width of the tokina 11-16 (the rokinon is also cheaper.) 

If all you care about is the widest glass you can possibly get, there is also the Sigma 8-16mm, which I believe is the widest rectilinear glass ever made for crop cameras. I've never used it, but it's fairly pricey and I have heard it's not the sharpest lens. You never know though! 

4 minutes ago, Parker said:

Yeah I agree, the Roki 12mm f2 is awesome, and for me, it's the obvious choice for an ultra-wide on NX cameras. It's very small and lightweight, and of course it's f2! I used to own the 10-18mm, loved it, but had to sell it for the same reasons as Ricardo, as sadly it's just unusable with fly-by-wire adapted. I also briefly owned the sigma 10-20mm, which I bought to replace the canon, it was fine, but too slow for my needs. The rokinon 12mm f2 is both very sharp and very fast! Awesome for steadicam stuff (including low light) and astrophotography as well. For me the extra stop was more useful than the zoom and 1 millimeter more width of the tokina 11-16 (the rokinon is also cheaper.) 

If all you care about is the widest glass you can possibly get, there is also the Sigma 8-16mm, which I believe is the widest rectilinear glass ever made for crop cameras. I've never used it, but it's fairly pricey and I have heard it's not the sharpest lens. You never know though! 

Good to know that the Rokinon 12mm is a good lens. I was looking at the Cine version in micro 4/3 for my BMMCC. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

since I adored my ultra cheap CANON STM 10-18 because it's the omly one I"ve ever shot with IS Iwas hoocked by the look it makes having an iS Ultra wide angle that's very shatp. Problem is the same as yours can't adapt it to my gh4 unless I get a duper expensive active metabones Seedbooster, so i put the SLR Magic RANGEFINDER on the lrns and made it a s35 UWA lens with a 199$ price tag and a real cinema ring/witness marks. Of course  can do this just because I happen to own a rangefinder (600$ and 300$ version withouy witness markd) but of course I wouldn't buy one for that solution, but I hppen to made it an awesome set up. If I were to want an UWA I'd get a tokins 11-16mm and find a used low price if budget is limited to the canon/sigma range. It's a much better lens for you ,neven used vs a new poor sigma. It's really the UWA to get. 

I never figured out how people shoot with a wide angle prime because for me it's impossible, every single frame needs a little zoom adjustment or otherwise with a fixed lens I"D have to go across the street to get a few mm in the frame. A varisble range, small one, is a must on an UWA. And  Am a prime kind of guy who shoots nothing but 50mm and 100mm primes for folms and even docs. Longer lenses can be used easily as primes while an uwa needs a little frame adjustment capability. 

Get a Tokina new or used and never look back. You will miss the IS on the STM but the bokeh snd lowlight ability on a wide angle lens will keep you entertained!

14 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

since I adored my ultra cheap CANON STM 10-18 because it's the omly one I"ve ever shot with IS Iwas hoocked by the look it makes having an iS Ultra wide angle that's very shatp.

Just had a look into this lens, and I'm considering an ultrawide also. Looks like it yields some good results! And the IS on an ultrawide looks like a good combo for video. I'd like to ask though: This being an EF-S lens, would it fit ok on a metabones EF to MFT adapter? I saw this blog post where a guy mods the mount to remove the lip on the mount to allow it to fit a Canon FF camera.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=17037103

Would this process also need to be done for the metabones? Thanks

8 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I had my eye on the samyang 16mm t2.2

My buddy has the Bower version... Same lens. It's sweet. Crisp images. Good construction. I had a preconceived notion of the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower lenses, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. 

3 minutes ago, homestar_kevin said:

Still rocking the 11-16 2.8 v1, which can be had very cheap used now.

I'm tempted to upgrade to the 11-20. but haven't been motivated enough to do it yet, as the 11-16 is still great for me, and don't want to deal with the 82mm front thread.

Found one of these for 200€, might jump in.

3 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@mercer it was between the rx10 or that wide angle for me. I seen some shots with it on vimeo and was blown away by just the character of it

That's what caught my eye too. Like I said, I had a preconceived notion that the Rokinons were sterile, but after testing that lens, I am beginning to think otherwise. 

42 minutes ago, mercer said:

That's what caught my eye too. Like I said, I had a preconceived notion that the Rokinons were sterile, but after testing that lens, I am beginning to think otherwise. 

I guess this is sort of an aside from the discussion on ultra-wides, but the Rokinon 85mm T1.5 cine lens is one of my favorite pieces of glass. It's got a fairly low-contrast, very creamy rendering of things, definitely gives a dreamy look. Sometimes it makes it harder to cut between the more modern, contasty look of something like the sigma 18-35, but I often prefer it! Just very different. The 85 pretty much lives on my camera during weddings. Rokis are sweet!

31 minutes ago, Parker said:

I guess this is sort of an aside from the discussion on ultra-wides, but the Rokinon 85mm T1.5 cine lens is one of my favorite pieces of glass. It's got a fairly low-contrast, very creamy rendering of things, definitely gives a dreamy look. Sometimes it makes it harder to cut between the more modern, contasty look of something like the sigma 18-35, but I often prefer it! Just very different. The 85 pretty much lives on my camera during weddings. Rokis are sweet!

Yeah, sorry about OT Ricardo, but I find myself in a lens quandary. I am selling all my cameras because I just purchased a BMMCC. I have a few wide c-mount lenses but their IQ just aren't up to par with my Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95. In an earlier thread I discussed the idea of only owning one lens and what would it be. I had thought, if I had to, only own one lens, I would stick with the Voigt, but now with this 2.88x crop... I think I may need something a touch wider... I like to stay right around 50mm. So anyway, am looking at other options without having to resort to a speedbooster. I will probably just sell off more lenses and pick up the Voigt 17.5mm. But that is starting to get a little pricey. Has anyone tried the SLR Magic 17mm? I've heard great things from Renaissance about the 25mm... So maybe sell the Voigt 25mm and go with the SLR 17 and 25? Idk. Ugh. 

Or maybe do a Rokinon 12mm, 16mm and 25mm. Those will keep me between long wide, normal and short tele.