BM Production Camera 4K still good?

enny

Hi guys what is your thoughts on Production Camera 4K compare to others ursa mini red mx gh4 ect.

Some questions

1 Is camera still supported by BM?

2 It comes in PL and EF mount can other adapters be used like CY mount on EF and PL.

3 you can get ursa mini 4k for same price of price Production Camera 4K EF what am missing here just update and support of ursa mini.

Thanks guys

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Still supported by blackmagic. The ef mount production camera 4k and ef mount ursa mini are the same price, maybe just to say that's where they take more pride and shift sales that way. The ursa mini still requires some additional add ons to be ready to shoot, the production camera is ready once you put in an ssd and put on a lens. Production camera could be a lot cheaper used. Same image from both of those, different ergonomics is, I think, the only change.

Very different workflow between this and the gh4, hardly comparable, both can do great things. The production camera is a little difficult to expose - low native iso, and and a raw image which you can't push the exposure of as much as with other raw cameras. But a really great image if you trust yourself to get it right. Don't know what kind of shooting you do, but if you were considering a gh4, an lx100 could be plenty for you for way less. It's possibly still the best budget 4k. But there are reasons you might want basically any camera on the market.

Oh yeah, neither of those mounts are super adaptable, but cy, m42, nikon can all be adapted to ef. Pretty easy to google that

21 hours ago, Liam said:

Same image from both of those, different ergonomics is, I think, the only change.

UM has a faster processor allowing higher FPS, more codecs and the new OS which will be a game changer for BM cams.. hence i'd strongly suggest UM over BMPC4K. 

I'd never recommend buying one brand new as you can get the better UM4K instead for the same price.

But there are some killer deals for them secondhand now!

I saw one available for just NZ$2K, or about US$1.3K once you convert it to USD

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

A Blackmagic Executive told me the new basic Ursa Mini is simply a Production camera with all the Ursa Mini feautres added for free! 

So no it's not a smart buy right now since you can get a superior successor for the same cost, but used, it's sensible. 

The Ursa Mini for the same cost, adds a new articulating 5" LCD, XLR audio & meters and knobs, big cheap V-mount battery native support (BM cameras need it!), top handle, SDI output, Full HDMI, High Frame rates (Slowmotion capability), more buttons and physical controls, a new AMAZING operating/menu system, 3D Lut support. 

If you want to pay the extra: A great EVF, shoulder mount, extension for grip and CFast 2.0 media. 

Overally just a better camera other than size there is no reason to buy a new 4K production Camera. 

-About the sensor in both these cameras: It's horrible is all environments and AWESOME in one, Well Lit film sets/Daylight Nature. Other than these two, shooting documentary, family, weddings, news, guerrila films, low-budget music videos, natural light stuff: the image simply falls apart in a horrible way. Fixed Pattern noise and More regular noise, desaturated colours, unpushable image, that's all beyond 200 ISO. But kept at its home at 200 ISO and exposing to the right with well lit environments, it produces one of the best s35 images out there, period, including highest end Alexas and Reds and C300II and such. Just a beautifully filmic 4K image with AMAZING colour science.