What's your favorite action movie?

Viet Bach Bui

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Is Heat an action, if so then I love that too. Matrix (the original) is the only other action film that I'd really watch.

I would say it is, blended with other genres (a crime thriller/ drama), and with some good character development (similar to "The professional")... muscle & brains mix well. 

And if it isn't action, I would say it's got one of the best action scenes ever filmed.

I agree Jonesy, Matrix is right up there too... and it's also a mix.

The Killer (Dir. John Woo) - mind blowingly amazing & a must if you like action/gangster movies (American films just pale in comparison).

Best action sequence - the opening 10mins of 'Hard Boiled' (John Woo again). Don't know how many people die, but its a lot & the gun play is out of this world.

Midnight Run (my most watched movie ever: filled with action and humour)

Battle Royale (unique, brutal and very cool)

Crank (the most fun film ever, not stop action and amuzement)

Spy (had a room of 8 in tears of laughter all the way through the other day)

I like action movies with wit.

40 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

The Killer (Dir. John Woo) - mind blowingly amazing & a must if you like action/gangster movies (American films just pale in comparison).

Best action sequence - the opening 10mins of 'Hard Boiled' (John Woo again). Don't know how many people die, but its a lot & the gun play is out of this world.

The body count for the opening scene of Hardboiled : 44.

Woo's early work like The Killer, Bullet in the Head, and Hardboiled, are amazing.

18 minutes ago, Bold said:

The body count for the opening scene of Hardboiled : 44.

Woo's early work like The Killer, Bullet in the Head, and Hardboiled, are amazing.

Love that - thought it was more, but that's probably because 307 people die in the film!

Hong Kong cinema rules for this sort of thing - kung foo or guns it doesn't matter.

"Infernal Affairs 1&2" are probably the best gangster films made recently (re-made by Scorcese, but not a patch on the originals - not even close).

Blade 2. Blade teams up with vampires to fight SUPERvampires; huge fight/shootout in a vampire club; a samurai vampire; and an awesome (and, at times, funny) CGI fight between Blade and the main badguy. All around great action flick.

Digging for the roots: North By Northwest. Few know that this very film was the blueprint for the James Bond style: chases in impossible places, denying probability, the plot driven by some deliberately silly pretext which Hitchcock himself labelled as "McGuffin". Before that, Hitchcock had made many comic thrillers. He liked the cinematic approach from the silent movies. Montages of sensations (a term coined by Sergej Eisenstein), that's film in it's origin. It's all about fun, being amazing.

Of these films I remember leaving the cinema, and everybody could just say "Wow-wow-wow!" :

The first Terminator (hate all others).

Robocop (the first, hate all others, but find the remake quite good).

Alien and Alien³.

Luc Besson (his approach).

Kill Bill (that was pure fun)

With modern CGI, anything goes. But little is awesome anymore. Speaking for myself, I am bored to death by watching superheroes or desasters.