Atomos recorders that allow HFR recording with FS700?

Ru C

Hi all, have been in the market for an Ursa Mini 4.6k, but have decided to pass at the moment until they sort out their quality control issues .

My second choice was a Sony FS700 with an external recorder. I'm aware that the Odyssey 7q+ allows High Frame rate recording to ProRes. My question is, do any of the atomos recorders also allow this? & has anyone tested this in the field? 

Thanks

Ru Cook

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Not at the moment no the shogun doesn't go higher than HD 120p. 

If you want HFR now from the FS700 you need a Q7. It has so much support for that camera other than just recording all it's albe to output. The RAW to ProRes HD conversions are absolutely stunning especially when you can add a Resolve-created 3D LUT on top of it. 240p 2K full DCI continuous is just beastly. 

It's the one to pair with the fs cameras even though I wish the Slick-er Atomos ones offered the same sheer power and capabilities. 

Hi Ebrahim, many thanks for the reply. Yeah I don't actually need any faster than 120fps, which is why I was wondering if either the Shogun, or newer Shogun flame/inferno would be able to record 120fps over SDI? Does anyone know? I would message Atoms directly, but can find no way to do that though their site, without first owning one of their products ! Thanks

The FS700 only outputs 100fps and above as raw data. So with any current Atomos product you are limited to HD at 60p. 4K up to 30p only.
The inferno is said to do 4K at 60p, but I haven't seen anywhere where it has been specifically stated that it can turn the FS700 raw and turn it to 60p ProRes. I assume it will though. Also haven't seen anything that says specifically it will be able to turn the FS700's high speed 2K raw and record it. So until that is clarified, it's a bit of a crap shot. Also the release date of the Inferno can slip (or not).

So with current Shoguns you have 60p HD and 30p 4K. 

Before I bought the 7Q I was looking into the Shogun... But one of the things that made me go for the 7Q+ in the end was Atomos total silence. I tried emailing and asking on their forum (now defunct) to no avail. Convergent Designs on the other hand are VERY responsive. The really have a professional customer service second to none.

If you have the time, hold out and see what the Inferno brings, if you want a recorder that is proven, ships and works now, the 7Q is the only choice (if you want anything above 30p).

I bought the Shogun Flame as high speed raw, for me, was a 'nice to have' rather than a necessity. The situation is thus (on the Flame):

4K raw to ProRes/DNx** via SDI
2K raw also

You can also record HFR using the end trigger on the FS700 and output over HDMI to the Shogun to get 8bit 4:2:2 to ProRes etc.

The inferno supposedly offers 4K raw to ProRes etc at up to 60fps as well as raw to CDNG.