Camera suggestions for specific need

August McCue

I'v been growing my wedding videography business and now am offering a new package that will require a camera without a recording limit for a entire ceremony. I already own a NX1 that I float around with and LOVE but I need a second camera. I'm not super familiar with the camcorder world or ever know if that would be a good option to think about. If I had it for narrative filmmaking too that would be great but I'm pretty happy with the NX1 now so the main focus is an affordable cheap option. I'm assuming the GH4 would be the best option for me but would love to get opinions. Also I'm not interested in using magic lantern on a T2i or anything hacked like that.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

C100 is a great camera, used it a tons of times and I would say its prolly my favorite cameras when it comes to design, just not the image, although I am not knocking, it turns out great video, just my opinion as in Image vs. Price Point. I used to own a GH3, again great little low price camera, you can get one on ebay USED, but in great condition w/box right now for about $450 bucks give or take, add a a couple hundred for GH4. there are plenty of good camcorders out there that are really good and have a fair price like the Sony PXW-X70, I have used it a few times and found it to be good for run and gun stuff that didn't require/or i didn't need shallow depth of field, because of no interchangeable lens system. I guess it all depends on what you like and how much are you willing to spend. the Sony has a 4k option ( even though that bumps the price up a bit ) the GH3/4 can take great Stills if you need that in a camera as well, and both the GH3/4 and the Sony can do 60fps, in case if you need that too.

Great suggestions, thanks!

Yeah I was thinking if I spend the extra money on a C100 I could use it for film work but I'm not sure yet if I like the image more than my NX1. Besides it's dynamic range and low light. That Sony is interesting but it hurts me to spend that kinda money on something that I wouldnt really use for narrative work which is my real passion.

yeah, i feel you, I was/am kinda in the same situation, but luckily knowing a good group of people helps, we all work together and a couple of them have more cinematic looking (if you prefer calling it that) Cameras. So i stopped (for now at least) trying to invest in a new one and just started investing in lighting and grip gear. If you buy a c100, since it's already kinda outdated in a way, I would recommend again, from eBay, from a reputable seller, because you would save several hundreds of dollars than going to Adorama or BnH. I seen them go for an average price  of 1600 bucks, for the mark 1 (without Dual Pixel Auto). The ergonomics on the c100 are genius, and the biggest reason that I used and like it a lot... again, just my opinion.

Yeah man, I agree. Sounds exactly like what I'v been doing just got some new lights and grip gear myself. I really didn't want to spend money on the camera thats why I posted this to try and find a decent option for those kinda gigs but nothing more and the GH3 maybe a 4 sounds like a great option for what I need. I am at the point where I just want to rent out for projects that I need better cameras for. That is until I can save up for a Ursa 4.6k!

14 hours ago, August McCue said:

I'v been growing my wedding videography business and now am offering a new package that will require a camera without a recording limit for a entire ceremony. I already own a NX1 that I float around with and LOVE but I need a second camera. I'm not super familiar with the camcorder world or ever know if that would be a good option to think about. If I had it for narrative filmmaking too that would be great but I'm pretty happy with the NX1 now so the main focus is an affordable cheap option. I'm assuming the GH4 would be the best option for me but would love to get opinions. Also I'm not interested in using magic lantern on a T2i or anything hacked like that.

C100 Mark II and forget all of the other lower cost photo cameras.......

It's a professional known tool where Canon has done all of the marketing for you. Sure an NX1 and GH4 (similar) can put out a nice image for the price, but realistically especially when forming a business you should definitely be as good or better than the current industry in gear, production, cost, total package, etc.

Also owning a C100 will allow you to do other more professional jobs by marketing to an entire different set of clientele. Commercials, Documentaries and of course like you mentioned Weddings.

1 hour ago, j.f.r. said:

C100 Mark II and forget all of the other lower cost photo cameras.......

It's a professional known tool where Canon has done all of the marketing for you. Sure an NX1 and GH4 (similar) can put out a nice image for the price, but realistically especially when forming a business you should definitely be as good or better than the current industry in gear, production, cost, total package, etc.

Also owning a C100 will allow you to do other more professional jobs by marketing to an entire different set of clientele. Commercials, Documentaries and of course like you mentioned Weddings.

I think at that price I'd be leaning toward a URSA 4.6k since the Mark II but I get what you're saying!

Here's my question. Do you think owning a camera like that will really open you up to getting more clients? I love the thought of that and it makes some sense but I live in LA and most people I know get brought on and just rent what they need. I'm building to that point myself but I know of a cinematographer who seems to be working a ton and he said he's done buying cameras and just renting whatever he needs per shoot. So my question is are there commercial shoots that are looking for a DP with a camera? And would that spark more work?

I mean I LOVE the idea of buying the camera I want and that also benefiting my business it's win win. But also I don't want to blow money when it's not going to spark much business.

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I think the Personal-View links let you buy cameras that specifically have their record limits removed.

The GX85 also lacks the 30-minute limit. 

I'v never heard of Personal View. This is Interesting! Do they use a hack like magic lantern?

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I think the Personal-View links let you buy cameras that specifically have their record limits removed.

14 minutes ago, August McCue said:

I'v never heard of Personal View. This is Interesting! Do they use a hack like magic lantern?

It's a good thing that @TheRenaissanceMan mentioned Personal-View, otherwise you would have never known about it!   :glasses:

http://www.personal-view.com is a camera web site and forum run by Vitaliy Kiselev, who happens to be the founding developer of the GH1 and GH2 hacks.  He also uses the site to sell gear.

On May 22, 2016 at 3:18 PM, August McCue said:

I think at that price I'd be leaning toward a URSA 4.6k since the Mark II but I get what you're saying!

Here's my question. Do you think owning a camera like that will really open you up to getting more clients? I love the thought of that and it makes some sense but I live in LA and most people I know get brought on and just rent what they need. I'm building to that point myself but I know of a cinematographer who seems to be working a ton and he said he's done buying cameras and just renting whatever he needs per shoot. So my question is are there commercial shoots that are looking for a DP with a camera? And would that spark more work?

I mean I LOVE the idea of buying the camera I want and that also benefiting my business it's win win. But also I don't want to blow money when it's not going to spark much business.

I 100% absolutely feel you would get new clients with either the C100 Mark II or Ursa Mini 4.6k. You can easily do interviews, documentaries and weddings with the C100 Mark II. Many people do not like DSLR's being used and prefer professional cameras which the C100 Mark II is.

The Ursa Mini 4.6K imo is a specialty camera where you definitely can get work doing Music Videos, Events or even small short film projects and commercials, just need to build up your reel and people will DEFINITELY note the quality.

With lesser cameras like NX1, GH4, etc. People from my experience really don't value those tools and you're looked at like an over glorified hobbyist. A C100 Mark II will cut perfectly as a B cam with a C300 which are used for a lot of tv shows. Make the step and don't be scared, it can honestly be the BEST decision of your life!

Yeah, I'd agree that if you can go up to a c100... Canon really has the best colour for me, except maybe an Alexa or Red - and can just look so right out of the box. With all the proper video features of a c100 - if you can stretch to it then that makes alot of sense. I do love Blackmagic but they have that "DIY" factor... where the C100 seems to be robust, reliable, technicologically mature and makes great footage!