Let me share this music video shot on Micro Cinema Camera

Jonatan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, DBounce said:

No one else has said it, so I will... This is NOT a music video. It is a series of random clips with some background music. And the two are not the same. Frankly, it looks more like vacation footage.

I'm exited to hear qualifications needed to be a music video. And the other thing was so obvious that I just left it out.

Your criticism is boring. 

Just now, Jonatan said:

I'm exited to hear qualifications needed to be a music video. And the other thing was so obvious that I just left it out.

Maybe you should google around and educate yourself? But here's a thought, is every video that has background music a "music video"? Well then?

I liked the feel of the video and the romantic way you captured the subject, but I think it could have been nice to see the band playing in the background, as street performers, as you followed your subjects. With that being said... It still is quite beautiful and successful as is.

15 minutes ago, Jonatan said:

I for one enjoy hearing people try to assign what is and isn't art. Makes it easy to weed out whose opinion I should care about.

8 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Maybe you should google around and educate yourself? But here's a thought, is every video that has background music a "music video"? Well then?

No - as I said, I want YOU to tell me.

18 minutes ago, Antonis said:

Nice stuff Jonatan. I especially liked the *squeezes thigh* part...hehe. 

What kind of setup did you use to monitor the BMMCC?
Also how is the rolling shutter on it in your experience?

Yeah, I love that girl, I hope that shines through.

I just had the camera in the 8sinn cage, a zacuto zamerian magic arm (short one), black magic videoassist. 

21 minutes ago, Jonatan said:

No - as I said, I want YOU to tell me.

Well for one thing, your video should be in-sync to the music. Most music video are shot with the music that is to be sync'd to playing while the talent acts out their role. This music is used strictly as a guide to aid syncing the footage in post. I'm sure all the pro in the forum know this. And I'm sure all the pros in the forum can clearly see you did not do this. If you had posted this footage and titled it as "some interesting clips of the woman I love"... Well, I would have said nothing. But you stated it was a music video... Which it is clearly not.

If you want me to teach you, I can, but I am not cheap! Best just goggle. There are several good tutorials about how to make music videos online. 

I posted the video here because theres been a request for footage shot on the Blackmagic Micro Camera. It's in the title. 

Then this guy comes.

7 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Well for one thing, your video should be in-sync to the music. Most music video are shot with the music that is to be sync'd to playing while the talent acts out their role. This music is used strictly as a guide to aid syncing the footage in post. I'm sure all the pro in the forum know this. And I'm sure all the pros in the forum can clearly see you did not do this. If you had posted this footage and titled it as "some interesting clips of the woman I love"... Well, I would have said nothing. But you stated it was a music video... Which it is clearly not.

If you want me to teach you, I can, but I am not cheap! Best just goggle. There are several good tutorials about how to make music videos online. 

I'm glad you told me so everyone can see you prove the point I would like to prove.

You're a joke. This is laughing stock. I'm done talking to you.

Beautifully shot and overflowing with authenticity. All those genuine moments you captured, orchestrated or not, resulted in something like a fast-paced Lynne Ramsey piece. That BMMCC is in good hands. 

I've had DBounce on my ignore list for awhile. Doesn't work when he's quoted. This garbage about music videos adhering to a rigid form is just another reason to leave him there. It's noise that drags the forum down.

I'm not sure whether it is or isn't a music video, it's certainly an ode to the girl. Whether you find it romantic, creepy, indulgent, life affirming etc. is going to be up to you, influence by the preconceptions you bring to the video, and the context within which you are viewing it. 

In other matters arising, with 13 stops of DR there's no excuse for blowing out highlights on skin tones.

2 hours ago, Nick Hughes said:

I for one enjoy hearing people try to assign what is and isn't art. Makes it easy to weed out whose opinion I should care about.

It may or may not be art, but music is about timing and rhythm. A music video that fails to accommodate these attributes, is well... not a music video. It could be this conversation is beyond the level of understanding of most people. I suspect these are the same people that are hopeless on a dance floor.

9 minutes ago, DBounce said:

It may or may not be art, but music is about timing and rhythm. A music video that fails to accommodate these attributes, is well... not a music video. It could be this conversation is beyond the level of understanding of most people. I suspect these are the same people that are hopeless on a dance floor.

Anything that is edited to be entertainment is all about timing and rhythm. Doesn't even have to be music related. I thought he did a good job of pacing and holding shots for a pleasing amount of time.

6 minutes ago, DBounce said:

In the commercial sense of the term, well no, this video is not a "music video" - something which is made to sell records, concert tickets, merchandise and generally promote the brand of the artist. I assume this video was not made for that function. 

For the purpose that it's made though - the filmmaker can call it whatever he wants. A short film, vacation video, visual poetry, video journal, experiment, music video, whatever. Does it really matter? I was more interested in the shots accompanied by the music track. I enjoyed watching both in unison. It's a music video to him whether we like it or not. And he did very well. :)