An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

12 hours ago, 7 Lakes said:

Will all C-Mount lenses cover Lumix GX85 sensor? Does it work with a C-Mount to Micro Four Thirds adapter?

Yes it will and it looks lovely. You get a slight bit a vignetting in 4K, but the more you stop it down, the darker the corners get.

In fact, just a few posts above yours, someone shared this video all shot with 25mm cmount:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Yes it will and it looks lovely.

38 minutes ago, Mat Mayer said:

No. Check before buying.

So yes or no? :) How to check before buying a used one in the internet? Are there different C-Mount lenses with a different angle of view? If I understand it correctly, it will almost cover the sensor with 25mm and above?

On 9/7/2017 at 7:40 AM, 7 Lakes said:

So yes or no? :) How to check before buying a used one in the internet? Are there different C-Mount lenses with a different angle of view? If I understand it correctly, it will almost cover the sensor with 25mm and above?

There is no absolute image circle size for a C-mount, nor is there an absolute image circle size for the various focal lengths with a C-mount.

Furthermore, one can use an adapter to mount APS-C and full frame lenses to C-mount cameras.

You just have to determine the image circle of each lens on an individual basis.

33 minutes ago, tupp said:

There is no absolute image circle size for a C-mount, nor is there an absolute image circle size for the various focal lengths with a C-mount.

This is true. Rule of thumb is: 90% of c-mount lenses are designed for 2/3" image circles (i.e. half of MFT, equivalent to 4:3 16mm film), 15% are designed for 1/3" image circles (Super 8 equivalent) or smaller, 4% are designed for 1" (or Super 16), 1% is designed for MFT or bigger image circles.

On 9/10/2017 at 2:45 PM, cantsin said:

This is true. Rule of thumb is: 90% of c-mount lenses are designed for 2/3" image circles (i.e. half of MFT, equivalent to 4:3 16mm film), 15% are designed for 1/3" image circles (Super 8 equivalent) or smaller, 4% are designed for 1" (or Super 16), 1% is designed for MFT or bigger image circles.

Might want to check the math and add the percentages.

At any rate, there were tons of C-mount lenses made for larger videcons/plumbicons, so, not the above percentages are a "rule of thumb."

Hey,

I've been lurking for a while now, and now it's time to post something. I have a GX80 for a few months now. Last week I found the following video about a DIY windbreaker for the built in MIC.

Now I thought that I could design something similar that could be 3D printed. So I did tonight. I still need to find some fabric to test it, but if it works I'll share the files.

zeRJfj7.jpg

rioJNzQ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@sgreszcz, nice video and great effort. I think your audience must be very happy with your documentary.

One other thing, your mididoc about your grandpa was very beautifully done! In your BTS you write, you´ve been

using the EP5, but your BTS video shows the LX100 and the GX7, great cameras too of course. Just saying :)

Thanks @PannySVHS!  The interview with my Grandpa was the first edited video that I did and when I shot it, I did use two EP-5 (which I loved at the time due to the tilting EVF-4).  However, I found out about the Rode Reel competition and realised I needed to do a behind the scenes and by then had already sold the Olympus cameras for the Pannys so needed some creative B-roll for the BTS.  It takes a sharp eye and a camera nerd from this forum to pick up the continuity errors ;)

I did a longer 10-minute doc on my Grandpa's life which screened at his 100th birthday in front of 200 people, and unfortunately his funeral at 101 this past spring in front of about the same amount of people.  I'm also working on a doc of my brother who is preparing for the 2018 Olympics in Skeleton.  Still need to do the interview though, although I'm a bit scared to throw him off his game by going too deep with questions and his 10-year struggle!  Maybe a retrospective doc instead...

Loved the LX100 (wish the colour was better, would buy a LX200 in a heartbeat with better IBIS). Liked the tilt-EVF on the GX7.  Love the GX80, but wish it had a mic-in and a better EVF.  Going to sell one of them now (and some lenses) for the GH5.

I don't think I'll ever get to the aesthetic quality of the images that I see from people on this forum, but I'm going to do my best to continue to find interesting stories in my community to document.  Thanks for the feedback and for all that I've learned from people who post on EOSHD!

The doc on your grandpa was very beautiful and very well done. Sorry for your loss. I was hoping your grandpa would live to be a 113 like his aunt. It is really great

to have a beautiful documentary like this of a loved one. Very well done!

Yeah, we camera lovers have a sharp eye and a soft heart for cameras:) LX200 with mic in and a mechanical focus ring and IBIS and pixel perfect HD up to 60fps with

at least 100mbit would be an instant buy for me:)

Did my first attempt to create a wedding movie since my cousin asked me to do so. Technically speaking, the thing has many flaws: no tripod, crappy in-camera mic of the GX80, .. you name it. Also i was a bit intimidated since the official wedding photographer told me not to get in his way, which is kind of understandable. In the end, the compact form factor of the GX80 really made it easy to wander arround and sneak some shots and i was suprised about the quality of the standard 45-200m zoom which I never used before.

However, it becomes more and more apparent to me that I need a camera with mic-in. Since I am happy with my GX80 the G85 would be the logical step, but the GH5 looks also amazing...

Not sure how much ambient schtuff you'd want to record at some venue like a wedding, it's mostly picking up what people are saying and how they're reacting (bringing some correlation to what you're seeing, actually isolating them from the mumbling crowd) rather than ambient sound, no? But yeah, shure, it's a directional mic by all means. I'd call shotgun on it. Of course it isn't a cheapy, and you could just get the G80 and even a simple mic as the RØDE VideoMicro would make a big difference compared to the GX80's own built-in mic and indeed no syncing workflow required if you would go external recording...

10 hours ago, jase said:

Interesting, I need to check this out, thanks! Still, you would have the post-sync pain, but on the other hand if it is decent, why not... Yet, this is not really usable for ambient stuff, right?

Hey @jase,

First of all, I really liked the wedding video, and I actually like it a bit more raw than some of the overproduced wedding videos that I see.  Yes, you can see the judder in the beginning, but I don't think it takes away from the images.  I had the same problem with the IBIS during my documentary when I tried some pans and camera movement (see the shot of the costumes in the museum) or when someone might have bumped me.  Overall though the GX80 IBIS really helped me be able to move fast, and unobtrusively compared to having to use a monopod or tripod.  For shorter static shots you probably cannot tell that it was handheld.  

I like the look of your movie too.  Was that due to a filter that you are using or done in post?

As for the audio and microphones - I think you are in Europe.  I own the Shure VP83F (I got it second hand) so if you want to try it out PM me and I can see if I can loan it to you.  Since I mostly have had cameras without audio input (LX100, GX7, Olympus, GX80) I decided to get this one with built-in recorder.  The microphone works well and is very sensitive it picks up great ambient sound.  I have had troubles with wind noise as the deadcat I have isn't the greatest, but the low-pass filter helps a bit with that.  The mic has a shockmount and which isolates it quite well from the camera body.

Dave Dougdale did a comparison with the Shure VP83 (the one without the recorder):

I my last documentary, I used a combination of the Shure VP83f, the Rode SmartLav+ and Tascam DR-10, the Instamic Pro, and a Sony ICD-SX1000 hand recorder (small and way better than a Zoom H1, but unfortunately discontinued).  If I had some time, I should put a few clips together from the documentary comparing the raw audio.  The Instamic was a bit of a godsend.  It doesn't have as good sound as the SmartLav+ but it can be controlled remotely with a mobile phone and can record a safety track at a lower dB (configurable).  (The DR-10 also has a safety track but only records in mono).  Also it has magnetic attachments so I hid it out of sight on walls, chair legs, overhead lights.  The magnet also made it easy for kids and other on-mic talent to put on their own mics.  The instamic has a mic muff which helps with the wind.  It is a bit uglier than a Lav mic, but I don't think that it was too bad.  If I can get my son on-camera I will set up a test comparing the Instamic, my SmartLav+ into my phone, the Shure on-camera, the camera mics, and the Sony hand recorder close but out of camera on the floor.

7 hours ago, tonysss said:

:-) my wedding "combo"  GH5 Sigma 18-35 and spot shoot  GX80 - Pan 42,5 f1.7

Hi there, I really liked the shots.  Was everything there handheld or did you use a gimbal at all?  How did you match up both cameras?  What profile did you use for both cameras?  How do you like the 42.5/1.7?  It seems to almost double as a macro lens.

I'm really curious about this combination as trading in one of my GX80 and have sold my 12-35 and 35-100 2.8 lenses to upgrade to a GH5.  I was thinking of using the 12-60/2.8-4 on the GH5 and the 42.5/1.7 with dual-IS on the GX80.