An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Grimor said:

What is the workflow wuth this Lut?

Anyone know how not to do a red/orange colorcast?

I've only been looking at it today so have only had a limited amount of time to play.

Workflow is to use camera settings as described in Andrew's guide, apply the LUT in your NLE (or through EditReady if you are transcoding first) then apply any shot correction as usual for exposure and balance and then add another LUT for a particular style if you like.

I was only messing about doing some stuff of my niece and nephew at the beach so it was hardly a scientific test so take this with a grain of salt until everyone else chimes in. I was on auto white balance and did have the orange cast that @jase reports but went into the CC on FCPX and pulled the orange down by about 22% and that re-balanced it. The CrumplePop AutoWhiteBalance plug in that I'm evaluating at the moment also removed it in one click. Like I say, I'll reserve judgement until I test it properly but I got an end result that, for me, was significantly better than I've been able to create through manually setting profiles and correcting it myself and certainly a hell of a lot faster so again, for me, even if I had to build that 22% cut into a saved composite effect with the LUT so I can apply in one hit then the end would justify the means based on my very limited testing.

But your mileage may well vary, especially if you are more skilled at colouring than I am. *And in general, most people that are less skilled than me probably have a guide dog to help them.

Probably best check out the pinned thread for other's experiences who've tested it more extensively and critically than I have. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
42 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I've only been looking at it today so have only had a limited amount of time to play.

Workflow is to use camera settings as described in Andrew's guide, apply the LUT in your NLE (or through EditReady if you are transcoding first) then apply any shot correction as usual for exposure and balance and then add another LUT for a particular style if you like.

I was only messing about doing some stuff of my niece and nephew at the beach so it was hardly a scientific test so take this with a grain of salt until everyone else chimes in. I was on auto white balance and did have the orange cast that @jase reports but went into the CC on FCPX and pulled the orange down by about 22% and that re-balanced it. The CrumplePop AutoWhiteBalance plug in that I'm evaluating at the moment also removed it in one click. Like I say, I'll reserve judgement until I test it properly but I got an end result that, for me, was significantly better than I've been able to create through manually setting profiles and correcting it myself and certainly a hell of a lot faster so again, for me, even if I had to build that 22% cut into a saved composite effect with the LUT so I can apply in one hit then the end would justify the means based on my very limited testing.

But your mileage may well vary, especially if you are more skilled at colouring than I am. *And in general, most people that are less skilled than me probably have a guide dog to help them.

Probably best check out the pinned thread for other's experiences who've tested it more extensively and critically than I have. 

Thanks for the explanation. I'll try this way.

On 8.4.2017 at 10:57 PM, jase said:

I dont need that HDMI clamp since I dont have any monitor / recorder or whatsoever. I have put the latest Firmware on my body, which made the IBIS pretty much silent, at least I cant hear it in the recordings (which are crappy anyway, but thats a different story). Or do you mean sth else with "show in usage"?

Hey Jase, not worried about sound so much. Was wondering if firmware update gives IBIS better performance?

Still got 1.0 on my camera. Also wondering about Extele mode. It looks pretty blurry compared to my Lumix G6.

Also the top three options for extele in the menu are greyed out. I can only choose on and off. Is there

a way to get to choose from the greyed out area? I´m in 1080p mode of course.

cheers

5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Jase, not worried about sound so much. Was wondering if firmware update gives IBIS better performance?

Still got 1.0 on my camera. Also wondering about Extele mode. It looks pretty blurry compared to my Lumix G6.

Also the top three options for extele in the menu are greyed out. I can only choose on and off. Is there

a way to get to choose from the greyed out area? I´m in 1080p mode of course.

cheers

Afaik the performance of the IBIS doesnt really change on the GX80 in later firmware updates, yet the sound of it running does.

The Ex Tele Converter only knows one option when you are in FHD (2.4x) hence the reason why you only can do it on / off. When taking pictures, you can use different amounts based on your aspect ratio - see page 151 in the manual. It shouldnt be blurry at all, at least that I cant confirm that.

18 hours ago, jonpais said:

May be the special light in Chile. ?

15 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

he's probably just a damn good camera operator thats why 

Well, I filmed this with Nikon D5200 and Nikon D5300. At that time, grading skills were just in the beginning stage. So not perfect, not Davinci Resolve and Full HD. But I completely doubt whether one could get such colours with GH5 or GX80 (which I own). Panasonic's image is boring, cold and synthetic when compared to Nikon or some others. Do you agree with me?

I shot this with the Nikon D5200 three years ago. Mostly, I simply can't achieve the same pleasant and warm image with my GX80. If only Nikon had similar specifications to Lumix GH5 (stabilization, bitrate, 10bit, etc.), it would be a very good camera for non cinematic cases.

2 hours ago, 7 Lakes said:

Well, I filmed this with Nikon D5200 and Nikon D5300. At that time, grading skills were just in the beginning stage. So not perfect, not Davinci Resolve and Full HD. But I completely doubt whether one could get such colours with GH5 or GX80 (which I own). Panasonic's image is boring, cold and synthetic when compared to Nikon or some others. Do you agree with me?

Hey Lakes, nice and very charming video! Pannys are very beautiful to grade and to get some nice color out of it.

Here is one of my videos I shot last summer with the G6. My GX80 is much easier to grade, very easy indeed to get beautiful color out of it.

2 hours ago, 7 Lakes said:

You've probably not checked out Jase's videos shot on the GX85/80. He has some of the best work shot on the GX85 right now. 

Been looking at the GX80/85 all night with a view to pairing it with the 14-140ii as a daytime run and gun all in one solution for street protests.

Originally, I was concentrating on one of the 4K bridge cameras such as the FZ1000 or FZ330 and possibly the FZ2000 but the stabilisation on the GX80/85 is something else. Then there's the option of adding lenses in the future and having a 4/3 system alongside my full frame gear.

Camera, lens, two spare batteries, two 64gb cards - £1150. Cheaper than the half loved, half derided FZ2000.

What say GX80/85 owners?

2 hours ago, Davey said:

Been looking at the GX80/85 all night with a view to pairing it with the 14-140ii as a daytime run and gun all in one solution for street protests.

Originally, I was concentrating on one of the 4K bridge cameras such as the FZ1000 or FZ330 and possibly the FZ2000 but the stabilisation on the GX80/85 is something else. Then there's the option of adding lenses in the future and having a 4/3 system alongside my full frame gear.

Camera, lens, two spare batteries, two 64gb cards - £1150. Cheaper than the half loved, half derided FZ2000.

What say GX80/85 owners?

You can't go wrong with either one.

2 hours ago, Davey said:

What say GX80/85 owners?

IMO go with the GX80 + lens option. My thinking is for 3 reasons:

1) the FZ330, FZ1000, FZ2000 don't have real 4k options for wide angles, something that's important with street protests.

2) the next time you buy a camera you'll be able to use the lens which means a cheaper ownership.

3) if your needs change, the GX80 will change with them and do low-light as well.

Hope that helps.

11 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

IMO go with the GX80 + lens option. My thinking is for 3 reasons:

1) the FZ330, FZ1000, FZ2000 don't have real 4k options for wide angles, something that's important with street protests.

2) the next time you buy a camera you'll be able to use the lens which means a cheaper ownership.

3) if your needs change, the GX80 will change with them and do low-light as well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers - makes perfect sense.

On 4/9/2017 at 6:21 PM, jase said:

Especially since the G85 has this awesome Mic-In which would nowadays really mean a lot to me since I discovered only recently how important good audio is. Sure, I have a dedicated field recorder as well, but I only use it for planned recording of foley - for the action that happens during the shot I have to fallback to the (quite crappy) onboard mic of the GX80. On the other hand I really love how stealthy the GX80 is... I like the tilting screen solution much more than this flipout thingy. So a G85 could not replace my GX80 but be a nice addition, the weather sealing also comes in handy when I am on the road, especially if I will ever get the Summilux 12, which is also weather resistant. Yet again, I would love to have the 4k teleconverter option which only the GH5 has. Choices.

Hey Jase, I'm in the same situation as you.  Love the GX80 and it goes everywhere with me and the 15/1.7 mounted.  Prefer the tilt screen too.  I'm doing a small documentary with a lot of kids in educational settings.  The client loves the fact that I just disappear and the kids forget that I'm there.  I would love the extra slow motion and Tele-converter features of the GH5, but the tradeoffs in size, extra battery type, etc. are a pain.

For sound I've been relying on a lav + small Tascam DR-10 recorder, but I've just received my instamic pro which is great and should make it so easy to quickly clip to someone when needed and record excellent audio without wires, especially kids.  There is a unofficial facebook group about the instamic.  I haven't had a chance to really test the mic yet, but when I'm on Easter Holiday this weekend, I'll clip it to my kids and see what I can put together.

Awesome! From what I've seen on their YouTube channel and the Facebook group it's really going to be friggin' cool! Hope that everyone that hasn't heard of 'em yet go do themselves a favor and explore what the Instamics are about! Really neat stuff.