An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

7 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Cool! :) Did you get the HDMI clamp too? Also, what is the best firmware version for IBIS? Does it really show in usage?

Darn, out of likes for today. Should have saved em all up for that beautiful setup of yours:)

cheers

I dont need that HDMI clamp since I dont have any monitor / recorder or whatsoever. I have put the latest Firmware on my body, which made the IBIS pretty much silent, at least I cant hear it in the recordings (which are crappy anyway, but thats a different story). Or do you mean sth else with "show in usage"?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, jase said:

I had a quick play with the new GH5 profile for Filmconvert, but since the GH5 has a different sensor than the GX80, I wasnt too convinced, judge for yourself: top is gh4 profile, bottom gh5 profile:

58e9d74c7df28_helenkennemeergh4-5.thumb.jpg.00f5cc01066777eeedd5b25472e5d685.jpg

Are you shooting in natural, standard, or what?

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Love the colors of your latest video.

And this one was the one where I had to apply the least amount of color correction! Like you said, the Summilux lenses have some special mojo going on. Once the GH5 drops in price or a GX comes out that allows the teleconverter option while filming 4K, i am on board.

4 minutes ago, jase said:

And this one was the one where I had to apply the least amount of color correction! Like you said, the Summilux lenses have some special mojo going on. Once the GH5 drops in price or a GX comes out that allows the teleconverter option while filming 4K, i am on board.

This guy Ben Aqua, whose video I just posted in The Advantages of Traveling Light, does great stuff with the G85. I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my GH5 order at the moment.

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

This guy Ben Aqua, whose video I just posted in The Advantages of Traveling Light, does great stuff with the G85. I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my GH5 order at the moment.

Especially since the G85 has this awesome Mic-In which would nowadays really mean a lot to me since I discovered only recently how important good audio is. Sure, I have a dedicated field recorder as well, but I only use it for planned recording of foley - for the action that happens during the shot I have to fallback to the (quite crappy) onboard mic of the GX80. On the other hand I really love how stealthy the GX80 is... I like the tilting screen solution much more than this flipout thingy. So a G85 could not replace my GX80 but be a nice addition, the weather sealing also comes in handy when I am on the road, especially if I will ever get the Summilux 12, which is also weather resistant. Yet again, I would love to have the 4k teleconverter option which only the GH5 has. Choices.

1 minute ago, jase said:

Especially since the G85 has this awesome Mic-In which would nowadays really mean a lot to me since I discovered only recently how important good audio is. Sure, I have a dedicated field recorder as well, but I only use it for planned recording of foley - for the action that happens during the shot I have to fallback to the (quite crappy) onboard mic of the GX80. On the other hand I really love how stealthy the GX80 is... I like the tilting screen solution much more than this flipout thingy. So a G85 could not replace my GX80 but be a nice addition, the weather sealing also comes in handy when I am on the road, especially if I will ever get the Summilux 12, which is also weather resistant. Yet again, I would love to have the 4k teleconverter option which only the GH5 has. Choices.

I believe Ben owns both cameras. He's done a comparison of them over at his channel. Still mulling over the GH5. Lots of goodies, but I much prefer the compact size of the G85.

7 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Have either of you tried Andrew's EOSHD Colour with the GX80/85?

I've been experimenting with it today and its very interesting indeed.

I've just been trying out CineLike D with the Leeming LUT, haven't given Andrew's a shot yet. 

9 hours ago, jonpais said:

Are you shooting in natural, standard, or what?

12 hours ago, jase said:

I had a quick play with the new GH5 profile for Filmconvert, but since the GH5 has a different sensor than the GX80, I wasnt too convinced, judge for yourself: top is gh4 profile, bottom gh5 profile:

58e9d74c7df28_helenkennemeergh4-5.thumb.jpg.00f5cc01066777eeedd5b25472e5d685.jpg

Yikes, I like the GH4 one Way better.

12 hours ago, jase said:

Is there any "real" difference in Film Convert between the default profile and GH4 profile? 

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Have either of you tried Andrew's EOSHD Colour with the GX80/85?

I've been experimenting with it today and its very interesting indeed.

Bought it, turned everything into orange, asked for help, no reply given.

28 minutes ago, Bizz said:

Is there any "real" difference in Film Convert between the default profile and GH4 profile? 

Judge for yourself. Top is GH4, below is generic:

58ea93935bb66_helenkennemeergh4-generic.thumb.jpg.dab94efbfa527400e3c36b63a074242d.jpg