An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, jase said:

To my eyes, there are no real differences between -5 on all and -5/0/-5/0. Yet, maybe I didnt recover totally.

Regardless of using Procolor, I DID notice a serious problem with contrast at -5 in really flat, softbox light. It gave me and my daughter a strange skin condition that I don't have. I've decided to go to with contrast at 0 since it doesn't really impact the final image negatively... at least I can't see it. Anyway, it fixed the problem.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, jase said:

I did some tests today with different settings and Andrew's Procolor mode. Forgive me my awesome hangover look - 4K screencaps

This is the OOC Standard Profile with 0/-5/0/-5:

std 0505 org.jpg

And this is with Procolor applied:

std 0505 procolor.jpg

To be honest, I dont really like it. My skin looks as if I had sex with an orange.

This is my own quick grade with Filmconvert:

std 0505 fc.jpg

And since I am using normally Standard with -5/-5/-5/-5, here are the same shots again.

First OOC:

std 5555 org.jpg

Procolor:

std 5555 procolor.jpg

Own grade:

std 5555 fc.jpg

To my eyes, there are no real differences between -5 on all and -5/0/-5/0. Yet, maybe I didnt recover totally.

Are you supposed to push the settings to -5/-5/-5-5? Also, did you use the Ultra Contrast Filter in these shots?

The highlight recovery seems to be in existent curiously in thsee pics with Procolor.

The window seems to have some crazy blown highlights. 

2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Regardless of using Procolor, I DID notice a serious problem with contrast at -5 in really flat, softbox light. It gave me and my daughter a strange skin condition that I don't have. I've decided to go to with contrast at 0 since it doesn't really impact the final image negatively... at least I can't see it. Anyway, it fixed the problem.

Makes sense. I think I will stick to 0/-5/0/-5 also.

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Are you supposed to push the settings to -5/-5/-5-5? Also, did you use the Ultra Contrast Filter in these shots?

The highlight recovery seems to be in existent curiously in thsee pics with Procolor.

The window seems to have some crazy blown highlights. 

Yes, Ultra Contrast 2 Filter was used which I have put between the speedbooster and lens - flaring issues are greatly improved. Window is really blown because it was already golden hour and the sun was directly shining through the window.

On 01/01/2017 at 2:37 AM, jase said:

Makes sense. I think I will stick to 0/-5/0/-5 also.

Yes, Ultra Contrast 2 Filter was used which I have put between the speedbooster and lens - flaring issues are greatly improved. Window is really blown because it was already golden hour and the sun was directly shining through the window.

Do you think the results would be better with everything at 0/0/0/0 perhaps? 

On 1/1/2017 at 4:07 PM, jase said:

Yes, Ultra Contrast 2 Filter was used which I have put between the speedbooster and lens - flaring issues are greatly improved.

How did you manage this? Just a very small filter that fits inside the lens mount?

2 hours ago, sanveer said:

Do you think the results would be better with everything at 0/0/0/0 perhaps? 

I dont know, I would have to test that again. Could try to do so this weekend.

1 hour ago, aldolega said:

How did you manage this? Just a very small filter that fits inside the lens mount?

I bought a Tiffen Ultra Contrast Filter as 37mm Version. Then i took a metall saw and removed the filter housing very carefully, so that I ended up with just the glas. At first I had the impression that it might be too thick, but when I put it inside the speedbooster it doesnt touch the speedbooster glas because it is a bit larger than it. The glas of the rear element of the Sigma lens doesnt protrude as well. Anyways, I put the glas inside the speedbooster and then carefully mounted the sigma lens - no issue at all. The filterglas stays at its place - seems to be a perfect fit.

P1060518.jpg

Wow, very cool. Could also be useful for ND with ultrawide lenses that don't have filter threads. So there's a lip of some sort that the filter glass fits into?

I wonder if the extra glass messes with the optical formula, affects the back focus etc? Paging Brian Caldwell...

1 minute ago, aldolega said:

Wow, very cool. Could also be useful for ND with ultrawide lenses that don't have filter threads. So there's a lip of some sort that the filter glass fits into?

I wonder if the extra glass messes with the optical formula, affects the back focus etc? Paging Brian Caldwell...

Well, the speedbooster glas has like 34mm diameter if I would have to guess. Also, it sits some millimeters within the adapter, so the filter glas wont touch the speedbooster glas.

The effect of the ultra contrast is now much less as when mounted on the lens thread as normally. I started a seperate thread for this, were Brian already commented:

How well does the GX85 match with the GH3? Pretty good I think. I'm the idiot who sold my GH4 when I bought the GX85 because I thought it was a lot easier to get results with the GX85, and the rumors at that time indicated that the GH5 would be arrive in late 2016... And now when I need a mic jack I had to borrow my friends GH3 and shoot in 1080p. Can you tell which angle is the GX85 and which is the GH3? Lenses used were the PL 12mm and 25mm.

Audio is recorded with the Sennheiser AVX system. Sorry for the strange language...

6 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

How well does the GX85 match with the GH3? Pretty good I think. I'm the idiot who sold my GH4 when I bought the GX85 because I thought it was a lot easier to get results with the GX85, and the rumors at that time indicated that the GH5 would be arrive in late 2016... And now when I need a mic jack I had to borrow my friends GH3 and shoot in 1080p. Can you tell which angle is the GX85 and which is the GH3? Lenses used were the PL 12mm and 25mm.

Audio is recorded with the Sennheiser AVX system. Sorry for the strange language...

Nice sound. The footage matches perfectly. 

On 1.1.2017 at 5:08 PM, jase said:

To be honest, I dont really like it. My skin looks as if I had sex with an orange.

I had the same reaction, but I don't think its meant to be accurate. It's more of a stylized look and I don't think it works with a white wall in daylight. Works better in the evening. 
Try to pull down the mid tones using the red curve to your taste and it works better with whites I think. But I don't regret purchasing it because it's was a good practice in grading to try to find out how Andrew made it :)

46 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

What would have been wrong with an external recorder + lapel mic, clipped onto her? Wouldn't it have yielded similar results, yet with even better audio?

17 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

What would have been wrong with an external recorder + lapel mic, clipped onto her? Wouldn't it have yielded similar results, yet with even better audio?

1. I don't have an external recorder. 

2. The Sennheiser transmitter look much better on her than a external recorder. I wanted it to be as small has possible. 

3. I don't want to sync in post more than I have to, even though it's a simple task in FCPX. 

4. The GH4 had decent enough preamps for me and I expect the GH5 to have even better ones. GH3 is ok for now.

5. The Sennheiser AVX system is small, easy to use and I'm able to monitor the audio while recording. 

She is wearing a lavalier and transmitter btw, ;) but I will invest in a headset mic for better mic placement when she moves her head up and down at some point. 

Since you mention better audio with a lav, is there anything in particular you thought could be better? Appreciate the feedback!

5 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

1. I don't have an external recorder. 

2. The Sennheiser transmitter look much better on her than a external recorder. I wanted it to be as small has possible. 

3. I don't want to sync in post more than I have to, even though it's a simple task in FCPX. 

4. The GH4 had decent enough preamps for me and I expect the GH5 to have even better ones. GH3 is ok for now.

5. The Sennheiser AVX system is small, easy to use and I'm able to monitor the audio while recording. 

She is wearing a lavalier and transmitter btw, ;) but I will invest in a headset mic for better mic placement when she moves her head up and down at some point. 

Since you mention better audio with a lav, is there anything in particular you thought could be better? Appreciate the feedback!

I don't really know of a lapel to recommend... I've got a $20 Sony Lav and it's good enough for me. I connect to a Zoom H1... I suppose it's slightly bigger than your setup, but I'd say the results are more than good enough- they simply amazing! The down-side, as you mention, is not having the ability to adjust on the fly. I'm waiting for someone to develop a lapel stereo mic with a super-small recorder that will record at -12 and -24 decibels simultaneously. Once this happens, I'm not sure there will be a need for the remote options. If someone knows of something like this, I'd like to know. :)

5 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I don't really know of a lapel to recommend... I've got a $20 Sony Lav and it's good enough for me. I connect to a Zoom H1... I suppose it's slightly bigger than your setup, but I'd say the results are more than good enough- they simply amazing! The down-side, as you mention, is not having the ability to adjust on the fly. I'm waiting for someone to develop a lapel stereo mic with a super-small recorder that will record at -12 and -24 decibels simultaneously. Once this happens, I'm not sure there will be a need for the remote options. If someone knows of something like this, I'd like to know. :)

5 hours ago, John Matthews said:

A lot of recorders record a safety track at a slightly lower volume.

The new Tascam DR 10L also records a safety track at at lover volume (I am guessing the difference must be 10 dB or so, not too sure or one could probably chose the difference in recording volumes).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1281085-REG/tascam_dr_10l_mini_portable_recorder.html

11 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Been waiting patiently for ages for this to ship :)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/instamic-the-smartest-microphone-ready-to-record-video-music