An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

28 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

There are not many categories where the GX80 would be number 1 compared to its pears. It's just a great all-rounder. Hey, if you can live with the A6300, great! :)

I like that - 'compared to its pears'. :) I believe I already said I would never own an a6300. The point of my post is not that people should run out and buy a Sony, it is that there are far too many discussions about specs and too much squinting at charts. And if someone of undisputed talent does share something shot with one of these newer cameras, it generates 250 pages of pixel peeping comments. Well, actually, the point of my post is first, that people don't trust their own eyes, or don't have the discernment to tell good from bad, and that there are too few people of talent doing these reviews. And then there are the legions of reviewers and readers who instantly shout 'fail!' if a camera doesn't have IBIS or a touch screen - complete and utter nonsense! Almost every single one. "Did you know that Voigtlander came out with three lenses for MFT, but they don't have OIS or AF? Isn't that a joke? Fail!" It makes me recall the MBPr 2016. I'll come out and say it, I think Tim Cook is an ass. But in practically every single forum, readers called the new MBPr a complete failure, blah, blah. Almost every video on YouTube did the same. Max Yuryev was the first I believe who actually tested the laptop specifically with video in mind, and it whupped butt. And now, one of the best stills photographers active online has posted a review of the 13" MBP, and heresy - claimed it was perfect for use out in the field. Meanwhile, the Fuji X-T2 thread slips quietly into obscurity.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It is strange and even funny how every brand has some major faults in their consumer camera video features. 

Sony has no single focus, difficult menus and overheating.

Panasonic is not showing exposure info, has useless AFC and has limitation in customation and exposure options.

Canon has good colors but poor resolution and dynamic range

Olympus has poor video quality and handling issues.

I hope the GH5 will be the first making most things right.

4 hours ago, Vesku said:

It is strange and even funny how every brand has some major faults in their consumer camera video features. 

Sony has no single focus, difficult menus and overheating.

Panasonic is not showing exposure info, has useless AFC and has limitation in customation and exposure options.

Canon has good colors but poor resolution and dynamic range

Olympus has poor video quality and handling issues.

I hope the GH5 will be the first making most things right.

When I can finally buy the perfect ink pen, I'll compose my masterpiece. It's going to be awesome. Just you wait and see.  

12 hours ago, jonpais said:

I think often the readers are most to blame. They are so unsure and desperate, they just want opinions

Eh, many just want affirmation that they're correct in their decisions.  We're all guilty of it.  Being able to step away from that insecurity is part of what separates the the accomplished from the enthusiast.

Insane price on the gx80 (245£)! I could have bought two now for less than the price I bought one for less than a year ago! 

I'm loving mine and it and the Panasonic 15/1.7 are a lovely combo.

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/P016419K/compact-system-cameras/panasonic/lumix-dmc-gx80-mirrorless-compact-system-camera

7 minutes ago, sgreszcz said:

Insane price on the gx80 (245£)!

Amazing! 

From a product marketing perspective I thought that the G80/85 and the GX80//85 were technically too similar to come so quickly after each other. As soon as the G came out the prices of the GX model fell quickly and they keep falling.

On 24-12-2016 at 8:39 PM, sgreszcz said:

Insane price on the gx80 (245£)! I could have bought two now for less than the price I bought one for less than a year ago! 

I'm loving mine and it and the Panasonic 15/1.7 are a lovely combo.

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/P016419K/compact-system-cameras/panasonic/lumix-dmc-gx80-mirrorless-compact-system-camera

On cvp.com the g7, gh4r and gx8 seem to be getting the same cashback, this is the list of camera's that cvp has listed as eligible for a 200 pound winter cashback. Not sure though if it's only applicable for UK residents.

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=category/panadcb2016

1 hour ago, jase said:

Same here :) Will test in a couple of days with the Sigma.

I am looking forward to your feedback on Andrew's Pro Color for Panasonic Cameras, since you use the Tiffin Ultra Contrast Filter. I am curious as to whether it makes the image better or worse, or it remains the same, after the Pro Color. I am guessing it may be similar or marginal better.

57 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I am looking forward to your feedback on Andrew's Pro Color for Panasonic Cameras, since you use the Tiffin Ultra Contrast Filter. I am curious as to whether it makes the image better or worse, or it remains the same, after the Pro Color. I am guessing it may be similar or marginal better.

Sure, will do!

8 hours ago, dantheman said:

On cvp.com the g7, gh4r and gx8 seem to be getting the same cashback, this is the list of camera's that cvp has listed as eligible for a 200 pound winter cashback. Not sure though if it's only applicable for UK residents.

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=category/panadcb2016

Jup, it's like before wiith the free battery grip. Campaigns are listed here: http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/promotions/promotions/campaigns/4 , the winter double cashback 'is applicable to residents of the EEA, EU, Switzerland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man who are aged 18 years or over', given that 'participants must purchase a new Qualifying Camera from a participating retailer in the UK'. I received my free G80 battery grip like a week or so ago (have to wait 28 days before claiming the bonus, then it takes a little while to get processed). Good idea to purchase from the UK anyways (mentioned it a couple of times already, body only EU mainland price roughly got me a 12-60mm, 64GB card and free promotional battery grip additionally in the UK). Geizhals.eu .

16 minutes ago, AnthonyWithNoH said:

Were the issues with connecting Canon's IS lenses, such as the 70-200 2.8 IS II, through a metabones speedbones speedbooster (more specifically XL) ever addressed? I own a GH4, GX85, and the 70-200 and it's unfortunate that it's been unusable on my GX85 due to IBIS and IS having serious conflict issues 

No issues anymore. Did you update the firmware?