An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, Michael Ma said:

Hey Jon.  I don't know if I have any exemplary video of people with the Summilux.  Most of the video I have is at a friend's wedding and the groom is very protective of anything that involves him being put on the Internet.  I'll try to grab a video of people for you next time I'm in Seoul with the 12mm.  Are you looking for samples for color, distortion, dof?

Just a few clips sooc to see how it renders skin tones, texture of fabric. I would appreciate it. I'm still considering replacing my Vario 12-35mm f/2.8, it just hasn't seemed as sharp as I'd like recently. It could just be my imagination, I took it in to a couple of shops and they said there's nothing wrong with it. I really like the results I've gotten with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and I'd like to find a 12mm lens. The Samyang/Rokinon is an option, still hoping Sigma releases a 12mm MFT lens soon. I just finished shooting some more people with the Nocticron. I'll try to post them this evening if they look alright.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That's too bad, but it was also my suspicion- the G80's IBIS problem isn't fixed with firmware version 1.1 with certain lenses according to 43rumors.com. :frown: I guess the GX80/85 is still top dog for Panasonic when it comes to IBIS. Hope the GH5 won't have that same issues as the G80/85.

The new G80 1.1 firmware update only patially fixed the IS issue. CameraJabber reports:

The firmware update was to correct the visible recoil or bounce-back effect that happens in video mode when panning the camera. I’ve now shot more video with the camera and there is an improvement with the updated 12-60mm kit lens and at common video panning speeds many would struggle to spot it. However, as you can see from the video above, the problem persists with the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 lens. The narrow angle of view of this lens makes any movement much more obvious.

3 minutes ago, Grimor said:

This test is a 100-400 handheld shoot...

What do you spect from this long lens without a tripod?

I don't think it's a question of expectation if that's what you meant. Although I believe expectations are too high with IBIS in general, this is more a question of behavior when panning and I guess it can only be described as a subtle "bounce" effect. Also, I'm not completely sure the GX80 wouldn't do something similar. At 400mm, it's a long way away for things to not go somewhat wrong.

Here's me walking with the GX85 and Panasonic 12mm 1.4 (no lens stabilization).  

Towards the end of my trip, I figured out how to walk better with the camera.  Pull down with the weight of my arm while holding on the lens with the left hand.  Then pull sideways with my right hand with an equal amount of pull to stabilize the roll.

1 hour ago, Michael Ma said:

Here's me walking with the GX85 and Panasonic 12mm 1.4 (no lens stabilization).  

Towards the end of my trip, I figured out how to walk better with the camera.  Pull down with the weight of my arm while holding on the lens with the left hand.  Then pull sideways with my right hand with an equal amount of pull to stabilize the roll.

Looks pretty good! Still some up and down motion, but not bad at all. 

3 hours ago, John Matthews said:

That's too bad, but it was also my suspicion- the G80's IBIS problem isn't fixed with firmware version 1.1 with certain lenses according to 43rumors.com. :frown: I guess the GX80/85 is still top dog for Panasonic when it comes to IBIS. Hope the GH5 won't have that same issues as the G80/85.

Looks pretty decent to me and is similar to the GX85. 

I think that some people have unrealistic expectations about image stabilization.

4 minutes ago, Cary Knoop said:

Looks pretty decent to me and is similar to the GX85. 

I think that some people have unrealistic expectations about image stabilization.

Yes... maybe, but why did they change it and market it was an upgrade to the GX80/85? I'm not getting that "upgrade" feeling. Is this just a case where a camera manufacturer launching a product that's not quite ready? It was the USP for the G80. :astonished:

I cant believe 43rumors used the headline "The new G80 firmware doesn’t seem to fix the IS issue on all lenses" for that video. Anyone who's used a telephoto zoom with optical stabilisation has seen that "recoil"  effect. You can't expect a zoom of that range to be totally stable handheld. Ridiculous. I don't even have/intend to get the camera and I feel annoyed. Poor journalism and all that..

8 hours ago, Inazuma said:

I cant believe 43rumors used the headline "The new G80 firmware doesn’t seem to fix the IS issue on all lenses" for that video. Anyone who's used a telephoto zoom with optical stabilisation has seen that "recoil"  effect. You can't expect a zoom of that range to be totally stable handheld. Ridiculous. I don't even have/intend to get the camera and I feel annoyed. Poor journalism and all that..

Exactly! as @jonpais said in the other topic:

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

43 Rumors posted a video showing that the IBIS still sticks when panning with the Leica DG Vario Elmar 100-400mm f/4.0-6.3 lens, but who cares - i'd never spend $1,800 for that crap lens anyhow. If I were a sports or nature photographer, I would however invest in the gorgeous Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 300 mm f/4.0 ED IS PRO, whose image stabilization reaches a remarkable 4.5-4.7 EV, according to LensTip.com.

#I'mnotafanofuniversalzooms

Edit: I should add, in all seriousness, that a good tripod is worth its weight in gold, and I can highly recommend the iFootage Wild Bull T7 carbon fiber tripod. I've been using it for a while now, and it is sturdy as hell, handsome enough that it gets nods of approval from people on the street, and is able to handle up to 40 kg payload.

On 11/18/2016 at 4:53 PM, jonpais said:

Looks fine to me. Now, if only I could find the camera somewhere. :( A shop in Malaysia said on their Facebook page that the G80/85 wouldn't be on the shelves till December. Could be next year when we see it in Vietnam, just in time for the GH5!

Yeah. It looks like it has sold out in many places... often a true indicator that this camera is rather popular. Don't give up as something might show up. The same thing happened to me with the GX80 in the French market, but I found a French company that imported them from Germany. Now, they're everywhere. :)

Back testing profiles, and still not happy with my best effort so far which was

Natural 0, -5, -3, -3, Highlights -3, Shadows +3

and still too contrasty for my taste,

I tried setting iDynamic to Standard rather than Off and was very surprised with the improvement.

I'm sharing this because conventional wisdom is to leave this kind of thing off and someone else might like to try it.

This is NOT interesting video. Just walking around the block, pointing at "difficult" lighting situations...

51 minutes ago, DPC said:

Back testing profiles, and still not happy with my best effort so far which was

Natural 0, -5, -3, -3, Highlights -3, Shadows +3

and still too contrasty for my taste,

I tried setting iDynamic to Standard rather than Off and was very surprised with the improvement.

I'm sharing this because conventional wisdom is to leave this kind of thing off and someone else might like to try it.

This is NOT interesting video. Just walking around the block, pointing at "difficult" lighting situations...

Looks pretty good. I was using the Prolost Neutral settings that were popular for Canon DSLRs... for Panasonic maybe it's Prolost Natural...

But basically turn contrast, sharpening and noise reduction all the way down and then saturation half way. I did not touch the curves or iDynamic.

Where did you notice a benefit with iDynamic?

I also started shooting everything at 4400 Kelvin. I found it was a good all around WB number that worked better than AWB, but still gave me the leeway to correct/push either way in post without too much effort.

I've posted this before, but it gives you a quick idea of my results. I colored it with FilmConvert...

I have been going through a lot of my equipment and deciding what to keep and sell. Every time I think I am definitely selling the GX85, I'll pick it up and the floaty image brings me back to it. 

I am primarily a hobbyist with a few short/feature film ideas I'd like to work on in the next year. Each film has its own look and needs, so I have been testing and testing a bunch of cameras. One of my ideas is a B&W project, with my preliminary tests, the GX85's L-Monochrome is excellent... so much so I have ordered the Rokinon 12mm cine lens (I'm done with lens adapters) to give the GX85 one last test to see if it would be a good option for this upcoming project.

Anyway, I love seeing the results the members of the forum are getting with this camera!!!

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Looks pretty good. I was using the Prolost Neutral settings that were popular for Canon DSLRs... for Panasonic maybe it's Prolost Natural...

But basically turn contrast, sharpening and noise reduction all the way down and then saturation half way. I did not touch the curves or iDynamic.

Where did you notice a benefit with iDynamic?

I also started shooting everything at 4400 Kelvin. I found it was a good all around WB number that worked better than AWB, but still gave me the leeway to correct/push either way in post without too much effort.

I've posted this before, but it gives you a quick idea of my results. I colored it with FilmConvert...

I have been going through a lot of my equipment and deciding what to keep and sell. Every time I think I am definitely selling the GX85, I'll pick it up and the floaty image brings me back to it. 

I am primarily a hobbyist with a few short/feature film ideas I'd like to work on in the next year. Each film has its own look and needs, so I have been testing and testing a bunch of cameras. One of my ideas is a B&W project, with my preliminary tests, the GX85's L-Monochrome is excellent... so much so I have ordered the Rokinon 12mm cine lens (I'm done with lens adapters) to give the GX85 one last test to see if it would be a good option for this upcoming project.

Anyway, I love seeing the results the members of the forum are getting with this camera!!!

Hey Mercer, could you verify for me the crop-factor when shooting 4K - is it x2.2?

6 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

Hey Mercer, could you verify for me the crop-factor when shooting 4K - is it x2.2?

Yeah, that is the word on the street. I haven't personally done the math but all reports confirm it is 2.2x. In that video it may be a little more because I use e-stabilizer as well. 

Just now, mercer said:

Yeah, that is the word on the street. I haven't personally done the math but all reports confirm it is 2.2x. In that video it may be a little more because I use e-stabilizer as well. 

Cool, thanks :)

That's what I'm hearing too, x2.2 crop.

I'm leaning towards the GX85 for run and gun/something to throw in my jacket, or the A6500 (which has been offered to me by Sony Australia at a 30% discount - $1600AUD/$1185USD).

I'm invested in Sony lenses, and have the official Sigma MC-11 to go with my 18-35mm F1.8, as well as Metabones Canon-EF to Sony-E adapter...but man, I'm on the verge of getting rid of everything and grabbing a GX85 + 20mm F1.7.

I wanna go back to basics...ultra basics :P