An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

Okay, you boys are bad, i mean bad!

Because off you I bought a GX85. Though one of its biggest supporters is now in awe of the beautiful canon xc10. Talking about you here, merce!:)

Well, that Canon beauty is too expensive for me, will have to rent that one, but couldn´t resist that GX85.

So done it and will test it. Maybe I should have waited longer. But couldn´t resist it like i said. So for all you G6 lovers out here, a screenshot

of the most recent footage I did with my G6.

@John Matthews, Hey John, i think I remember that you tested HDMI out and stated that internal recording and at the same time Liveview with an external monitor was possible.

Do I remember that right? Anybody else to chime in on that?

cheers and regards and hoping the GX will be a worthy addition to my G6!

Woulndt dare to say successor:) G6 has mic in ;)

g6 light.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Okay, you boys are bad, i mean bad!

Because off you I bought a GX85. Though one of its biggest supporters is now in awe of the beautiful canon xc10. Talking about you here, merce!:)

Well, that Canon beauty is too expensive for me, will have to rent that one, but couldn´t resist that GX85.

So done it and will test it. Maybe I should have waited longer. But couldn´t resist it like i said. So for all you G6 lovers out here, a screenshot

of the most recent footage I did with my G6.

@John Matthews, Hey John, i think I remember that you tested HDMI out and stated that internal recording and at the same time Liveview with an external monitor was possible.

cheers and regards and hoping the GX will be a worthy addition to my G6!

Woulndt dare to say successor:) G6 has mic in ;)

g6 light.JPG

Haha... Now I'm obsessed with Nikon but I still love the XC10. So you shot that screengrab? 

IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!

Seriously, I hope you are writing a screenplay, because you need to shoot a narrative if you're getting that image from a G6!!!

Thanks, bud! Once I uploaded the vid, you will know for sure that I not only need a script but a shotlist as well :)

So hopefully for the future, I won´t do so much run n gun and fun filming anymore, but rather disciplined and planned out approach. But thanks a lot for the great compliment!

Yes, I shot that vid. But my mistake was to hunt for the beautiful colors and moments, rather than following the little dialogue and preparing a shotlist :)

Some heavier grading involved. Shadows got broke, so i had to dither it out with additional noise. Shot with the 28 2.8 FD, chinaboosted.

Below is another one.

cheers and have a great night. Over here in Germany it´s dark already:)

g6 light2.JPG

9 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

No. I didn't test it. @Andrew Reid did in this article:

http://www.eoshd.com/2016/05/an-adventure-into-the-panasonic-gx8580-begins-and-a-look-at-the-leica-nocticron-for-micro-four-thirds/

This is what he said:

One thing they surprisingly did NOT leave off the GX85 is a clean uncompressed 4K HDMI output.

I’ve been trying out the new Blackmagic View Assist 4K with the GX85/80, it works superbly with native 4K 30p, 25p and 24p from the camera, has a great audio feature too – twin XLR jacks. These are of the mini-XLR type, with a supplied cable adapter to full size XLR. These inputs mean you can rig your professional mic to the GX85 and have sync, not to mention 4K ProRes HQ image quality. Suddenly the lack of 2.5mm audio jack and crappy preamps don’t seem to matter much.

[...]

But there’s more… the camera’s new processor can record 4K to the SD card internally at 100Mbit/s AS WELL AS outputting the full 4K 422 feed to an external recorder for high bitrate ProRes at the same time. The recent G7 did not do simultaneous dual-stream 4K recording (and I thought it was generous of Panasonic to put a live 4K output on that at all!) This is unheard of in a 4K camera costing £500. Not sure if it is 8bit or 10bit yet though. I suspect 8bit but it looks damn nice, just like the GH4’s 10bit.

It’s worth noting however – that when connected to an HDMI recorder or monitor, the sensor must always be in 4K video mode, so when you switch to stills mode the field of view remains 2.2x for 4K video, rather than 2.0x crop for stills and AF runs at the speed it does when recording 4K video, rather than the lightning quick speed it operates at during live-view for stills. That’s because the sensor must do a full pixel readout for the 4K HDMI feed all the time, rather than the super fast 240fps sampling mode for AF and live-view when no HDMI device is connected.

Panasonic has been very coy about getting back to us on 8bit vs 10bit, but everyone suspects a 8bit signal. I sent a question into Panasonic France, but they never got back to me. They're probably focusing more on sales, as they probably should given the dramatic downturn in camera sales. Let's just say it's 8bit 422 from the HDMI and 8bit 420 to the SD card. You CAN record video simultaneously on the SD card and an external recorder.

On 29.10.2016 at 10:15 PM, John Matthews said:

@jase,

I think I read that you were mainly shooting 1080p 50fps. I would like to know if it was only because you thought you'd slow it down or because you thought it was a slightly more gradable image? ...or both. I'm just trying to get the best gradable image out of the 1080p options without transcoding the 4k.

While currently editing my trip to Peru which was my first project with the GX80, I have to admit that the 4k clips just look plain awesome... If it would only have slowmo.

4 hours ago, jase said:

While currently editing my trip to Peru which was my first project with the GX80, I have to admit that the 4k clips just look plain awesome... If it would only have slowmo.

4k 60fps would be one of the GX80's weaknesses. Having played around with the 1080p 50fps, it looks quite nice... along the shots that you were making. I'm finding that the weakness of the 4k for me is the computer. I really need a video card and about two more 6 tb drives to make the experience go better. Those will probably be my next purchases. Also, I don't even have a 4k display to look at this footage yet; so, I'll add that to the mix too. There's no real rush though in that few can even tell the difference between the 4k and 1080p unless they're using a large 4k display and sitting within two feet. In terms of downscaled 4k, this camera performs very well. Right now, 4k is more about options in post (for the people who have computer that can handle it). :)

On 31.10.2016 at 6:37 AM, John Matthews said:

Panasonic has been very coy about getting back to us on 8bit vs 10bit, but everyone suspects a 8bit signal. I sent a question into Panasonic France, but they never got back to me. They're probably focusing more on sales, as they probably should given the dramatic downturn in camera sales. Let's just say it's 8bit 422 from the HDMI and 8bit 420 to the SD card. You CAN record video simultaneously on the SD card and an external recorder.

Hey John,

thank you for your reply. This is really cool then, internal recording with parallel external recording and/or external display! I hope I didn´t just fall for GAS and picture quality is recognizably better compared to my G6, which is a cool cam on its own. I will see.

38 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey John,

thank you for your reply. This is really cool then, internal recording with parallel external recording and/or external display! I hope I didn´t just fall for GAS and picture quality is recognizably better compared to my G6, which is a cool cam on its own. I will see.

Don't regret that GX85 purchase Panny. Even if you use it in 1080p, with the 5-Axis, it will add another tool to your box. The G6 and GX85 will work beautifully together. Put the G6 on sticks, press record, then walk around with the GX85... Perfect 2 cam set up. My only advice to you... And this is based on the high level of work I have seen from you, is don't get enamored by the 4K. It's nice and all but the 1080p you're producing looks great as well and is more than enough for some narrative pieces... If that's your goal?

18 hours ago, jase said:

Well, since I am an avid FCPX user, i work with proxies on my Macbook Pro 2011 and it works flawlessly. Sure, the preview looks a bit.. disappointing, but for editing, I dont need the perfect IQ.

I agree. I'm also using FCPX, but on a hackintosh. It also does very well with proxies, but I like to have WYSIWYG and it can't handle 4k until the 1050 or 1060 are supported in OSX. Also, proxies can take quite a bit of space; so, you need to work on fewer projects at a time. It works, but I would like a no-compromise system I guess.

2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I agree. I'm also using FCPX, but on a hackintosh. It also does very well with proxies, but I like to have WYSIWYG and it can't handle 4k until the 1050 or 1060 are supported in OSX. Also, proxies can take quite a bit of space; so, you need to work on fewer projects at a time. It works, but I would like a no-compromise system I guess.

Whats your hack's spec if I may ask?

6 hours ago, Samin said:

Whats your hack's spec if I may ask?

Sure. It's an i7 3770 (not K), using HD 4000 integrated graphics (this is the problem). Recently, I upgraded the SSD to a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO. IMO the system needs a proper GPU. The 1050 is probably the one I can afford, but there still aren't any drivers for OSX yet. When I put it together 4 years ago (can't believe it's been that long!), I suspected it would last 5 years max, but I think I can get another 4 years if I put a good GPU in it. Thoughts?

28 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

Sure. It's an i7 3770 (not K), using HD 4000 integrated graphics (this is the problem). Recently, I upgraded the SSD to a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO. IMO the system needs a proper GPU. The 1050 is probably the one I can afford, but there still aren't any drivers for OSX yet. When I put it together 4 years ago (can't believe it's been that long!), I suspected it would last 5 years max, but I think I can get another 4 years if I put a good GPU in it. Thoughts?

It looks good, Im upgrading my CPU to core i7 4790K (hopefully will overclock it to 4.5) and also my GPU to an AMD card. If you are planning to use FCPX for editing I suggest to get an AMD card, the most recent one that works OOB is R9 280X, you can even find them second hand for 100~150€ if not AMD then probably GTX970 or GTX980. I don't think we would get support for 10xx series any time soon! 

1 hour ago, Samin said:

It looks good, Im upgrading my CPU to core i7 4790K (hopefully will overclock it to 4.5) and also my GPU to an AMD card. If you are planning to use FCPX for editing I suggest to get an AMD card, the most recent one that works OOB is R9 280X, you can even find them second hand for 100~150€ if not AMD then probably GTX970 or GTX980. I don't think we would get support for 10xx series any time soon! 

I've heard the AMD cards have a problem on hackintoshes in that they don't work on wake- they need a restart. I'd love for that not to be true, that's what I read on tonymacx86. The GTX 970 might be a solution, but it'll be outside my budget. Are you running the R9 280X? Can that handle 4k footage on the GX80?

4 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I've heard the AMD cards have a problem on hackintoshes in that they don't work on wake- they need a restart. I'd love for that not to be true, that's what I read on tonymacx86. The GTX 970 might be a solution, but it'll be outside my budget. Are you running the R9 280X? Can that handle 4k footage on the GX80?

Well for R9 280X the only downside after release of El Capitan is you will lose sleep/awake which the workaround would be disabling sleep for your system but not the monitor. If having sleep/awaking working properly is important for you, your only option is nvidia! 960 970 both should do fine. No I don't have it yet but soon, with PCPX considering you have i7 3770, should handle them (GX80) just fine.

On 1.11.2016 at 6:39 PM, mercer said:

Don't regret that GX85 purchase Panny. Even if you use it in 1080p, with the 5-Axis, it will add another tool to your box. The G6 and GX85 will work beautifully together. Put the G6 on sticks, press record, then walk around with the GX85... Perfect 2 cam set up. My only advice to you... And this is based on the high level of work I have seen from you, is don't get enamored by the 4K. It's nice and all but the 1080p you're producing looks great as well and is more than enough for some narrative pieces... If that's your goal?

Hey, Merce! Now I am getting exited to check that baby out! Should be in my hands next week. Yes 2 cam set up sounds tempting.

On dpreview 1080p looks of much lower resolution than LX100 though. But always good to test ourselves.

Wow! What an awesome compliment. Thank you! Not sure if I fit that bill. :) 

I enjoy to shoot short pieces with the tech I got at my hands. I uploaded 

a fun video I did with my great ladyfriend and student collegue. We filmed and acted together, only us two with my G6, with the boosted 28mm FD and a cheapo 60dollar rig- and a cool blue bike. Gotta have a blue bike:)

Originally we met for a coffee and then she suggested we should film a bike race. So we did without any planning.

Was very happy with Panny colors again after the grade.

Think GX85 will allow me more of this kind of spontaneous work.

Here's an interesting comparison of the IBIS on the GX80 vs. G80. According to him, he prefers the GX80's stabalization. I find it interesting that Panasonic degraded IBIS in the G80. Is this an anomaly or a reality? He says in a following video that he thinks it can be fixed in a firmware update... I'm not sure about that. Any ideas?

@PannySVHS,

Love the grade on that video. How did you do it? Really nice look!

32 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey, Merce! Now I am getting exited to check that baby out! Should be in my hands next week. Yes 2 cam set up sounds tempting.

On dpreview 1080p looks of much lower resolution than LX100 though. But always good to test ourselves.

Wow! What an awesome compliment. Thank you! Not sure if I fit that bill. :) 

I enjoy to shoot short pieces with the tech I got at my hands. I uploaded 

a fun video I did with my great ladyfriend and student collegue. We filmed and acted together, only us two with my G6, with the boosted 28mm FD and a cheapo 60dollar rig- and a cool blue bike. Gotta have a blue bike:)

Originally we met for a coffee and then she suggested we should film a bike race. So we did without any planning.

Was very happy with Panny colors again after the grade.

Think GX85 will allow me more of this kind of spontaneous work.

I wish I could like this 3 times. Everything is just spot on man. A pretty lady, cool bikes, goofy acting, great camera work, and a wicked, slick grade. 

You need to teach me how to grade, because those distressed colors look sweet. What settings were you using? I went and bought another camera the other day... A GH3... So I need some pointers with Panasonic 1080p. 

@John Matthews 

Hallo John! Thank you! I graded in Davinci.

It is one node, making the difference- Lowering saturation in the blue channel, using the blue color curve. Besides that it is curve after curve,

adding upon one another or counteracting one another. Also playing with saturation and desaturation in a variety of nodes, solving one problem after another.

Main thing is gamma and a tendency to find threedimensional luminance, by exploring the green color information, going pretty wild. Then counteracting and correcting the greenish touches. In this example after the gamma and desaturation and "3d" work, I finished it muted supposely to look like Fuji, counteracting the overall bluish cast of the daylight.

Was shot at 5400 Kelvin with your A3G3 recipe. Thanks for that!:) Filmed with autoshutter due to small crew of us 2, also used Fstop of 8.

Hey Merce,

I would love to be able to share knowledge. I don´t know how to record things in Davinci in order to do a video of that.

Best thing to share Davinci knowledge would be doing a video tutorial, I assume. So I would like do that soon! Would be my pleasure!

GH3 seems like a great cam, like G6 on steroids, like a GH4 for 1080p. Interested to compare the 1080p of the gx80 with the g6 soon.

GH3 has great battery life, HDMI out and 70mbps codec (the 50mbps one supposely better though) great 60p, from what i read about it. Like the ergos too. (only held a buddy´s gh4 in my hand a few times). Maybe open a thread gathering GH3 knowledge would be a nice idea, reviewing a classic and the thick 1080p as you called it before:) Oliver Daniel would be the person to ask about it, I think.