An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

17 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Ah, looking at the picture on my phone it looked like it had been scratched

Yes, was just some black tape.

20 hours ago, jase said:

Looking good! Didnt know slr magic also makes a 52mm variant. Only heard good things about it - are you satisfied with it? Any quirks?

I've had the 77mm mkii version for a fair while and no issues. Only used the 52mm mkii for a couple of days but seems every bit as good as the 77. Hard stops are a great feature. Supplied cap is also a bonus.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 9/18/2016 at 8:29 PM, DPC said:

Unexpectedly (I was a guest) I ended up having to shoot stills for a wedding with the GX80 yesterday. The quality of the images blows me away and being able to use a tiny MFT body is very liberating.

Did the photographer bail on the couple at the last minute?

3 hours ago, DPC said:

IronFilm - No, as I'm a photographer the couple, family, just assumed I would be taking the pictures without asking or telling me beforehand. The GX80 and a 12-40 was all I had with me.

Oh. That is awful when people assume that :(

People don't assume just because you're a plumber that when you pop over for a BBQ that you'll also fix their toilet! 

On September 19, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Thpriest said:

Has anyone used the C mount cctv lenses on the GX85? Are there any issues with the stabiliser?

I have, it was one of the reasons I bought it. S16 lenses will cover down to about 20mm. 1" TV lenses will just cover down to about 12.5mm. On a lens that wide, if you move to quickly, the image will fall off the edge... You can actually see the vignette float into frame. This is where the e-stabilizer helps to give you a little more crop.

I'm still unsure if I'm going to keep the camera, but if I do, it will be so I can use vintage c-mount/TV lenses with the IBIS.

They really help to soften that digital video look that is somewhat inherent in the Panasonic image. 

5 hours ago, mercer said:

I have, it was one of the reasons I bought it. S16 lenses will cover down to about 20mm. 1" TV lenses will just cover down to about 12.5mm. On a lens that wide, if you move to quickly, the image will fall off the edge... You can actually see the vignette float into frame. This is where the e-stabilizer helps to give you a little more crop.

I'm still unsure if I'm going to keep the camera, but if I do, it will be so I can use vintage c-mount/TV lenses with the IBIS.

They really help to soften that digital video look that is somewhat inherent in the Panasonic image. 

Thanks.

You have the XC10 as well i seem to remember. Which will you keep?

39 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Thanks.

You have the XC10 as well i seem to remember. Which will you keep?

I'm definitely keeping the XC10. I may keep the GX85. But I may get an 80D as a 2nd cam to the XC10, so I can do close ups. If I do that, I'll probably sell the GX85. I have to do some tests with Andrew's C-Log and see if I can match Canon DSLR with Canon LOG. 

Despite the moire thing, I got sucked into using the gx85 on a few shoots - love the picture I'm getting out of it and then this...

Yep a whole day of this moire-tastic shirt to deal with. Almost be quicker to go reshoot. There was no clue in the viewfinder that this was happening either - the moire is so fine. I think this is up there as the worse that I've seen.  and this is from the 4K image. :fearful:  will be looking at this closely on the g80

2016-09-22_094020.jpg

7 minutes ago, gethin said:

Despite the moire thing, I got sucked into using the gx85 on a few shoots - love the picture I'm getting out of it and then this...

Yep a whole day of this moire-tastic shirt to deal with. Almost be quicker to go reshoot. There was no clue in the viewfinder that this was happening either - the moire is so fine. I think this is up there as the worse that I've seen.  and this is from the 4K image. :fearful:  will be looking at this closely on the g80

2016-09-22_094020.jpg

That sucks, it looks like a demon, that frequented nightclubs in the late 90s, possessed his shirt. 

5 hours ago, gethin said:

2016-09-22_094020.jpg

Actually there are some patterns that almost no camera can control, in terms of moiré. I remember there was a chair in my house with the wiry back like one of  those Herman Miller Chairs, and even the GH2 had issues fighting moire on that one. One day I realised that if I stared at the chair for a little while and slowly moved my head left to right and vice versa, my eyes would form a strange pattern too.

Here, looking at your shirt, I am guessing it is more of the sunlight that is causing the issues with the pattern, due to very strong reflections aggravated by the pattern. It's like one of those Disco Shirts, that are way too shinyor bling to be worn during the day. 

I could be wrong though. Could you use some other camera on that shirt in bright sunlight too, with light bouncing off the shirt. Maybe the GX85 may not be the only one suffering from an inability to handle the shine. 

• Super Members

Nah, that picture is actual moire. The thing your eyes see through folded mosquito nets etc is different. 

Very few cameras are moire free. Speaking of Panasonic, the lx100 is very clean. Its a shame I moved to the countryside so I dont get to test new cameras at the Building of Moire without taking my car.

I'll send you the shirt of moire if you like :)

So I ended up fixing it in a hilarious way.  I tried in photoshop and in premiere, I used several techniques that I've used before but it none of them really cut the mustard. So I found a frame that was slightly out of focus (no moire) and animated that over the chap.  He was pretty stationary, it mostly works :D

19 hours ago, gethin said:

2016-09-22_094020.jpg

I just wanted to ask you what lens you were using? Was it a Panasonic lens?

2 hours ago, gethin said:

yes indeedee one of the kit lenses 12-32 I think, why'd you ask?  (I got some gnarly moire using the sigma 35mm on the original speedbooster, too - not as bad as this, but still bad).

I only asked because the GX80 does a lot of corrections (distortion, vignetting, moiré, etc.) with Panasonic lenses but not with other manufacturer's lenses (Olympus, or any manual lens). In this case, it looks as though the frequency hit just right for moiré to happen. If the person backed up 1 meter or came closer by a meter, I bet it wouldn't have happened.