An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

Dean, well said with the Auto ISO behavior.  It seems like ALL Panasonic cameras (LX, FZ, G, GH, GX, etc.) do not display the ISO value in Auto ISO mode.  I don't think Olympus cameras do either, which makes me wonder why.  For all the innovative features Panasonic and Olympus create, how hard is it to display the ISO value? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, mike_tee_vee said:

Dean, well said with the Auto ISO behavior.  It seems like ALL Panasonic cameras (LX, FZ, G, GH, GX, etc.) do not display the ISO value in Auto ISO mode.  I don't think Olympus cameras do either, which makes me wonder why.  For all the innovative features Panasonic and Olympus create, how hard is it to display the ISO value? 

Well, I imagine many cameras don't display auto ISO levels when recording video in S or A mode; and, you're right they probably should do it. But honestly, S and A modes are foreign to me now in video mode and I think most people are routinely in M mode with ND filters or stepless aperture lenses for minor exposure adjustments. In all the photography-related modes auto ISO is displayed on the GX80.

5 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Well, I imagine many cameras don't display auto ISO levels when recording video in S or A mode; and, you're right they probably should do it. But honestly, S and A modes are foreign to me now in video mode and I think most people are routinely in M mode with ND filters or stepless aperture lenses for minor exposure adjustments. In all the photography-related modes auto ISO is displayed on the GX80.

Of course you are right about "M" mode with a variable ND but I think "S" mode and a fixed ND is useful for run & gun type shooting. BTW, every cam I have owned displayed the auto iso value when shooting in any mode be it video or stills ... only Panasonic doesn't :)

16 hours ago, mike_tee_vee said:

My auto ISO wish list for Panasonic:

1) Show ISO values in auto ISO for all modes (i.e. "A", "S", "M")

2) enable exposure compensation for auto ISO in "M" mode. 

It seems simple enough, and is common place in Canon, Sony, Samsung, and Nikon cameras.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with Panasonic not giving a 100% live view in A and S modes like it does in M mode... IMO, this has to do more with contrast-based focus. I'm guessing they will eventually opt for phase and contrast, but I imagine it'll take some time.

In video A and S mode, it'll save the ISO setting, but I think it's only saving the ISO at the time of starting the recording... it'll then adjust later in the video if the lighting changes and you didn't lock the ISO with the AE Lock button. IMO it should communicated the ISO upon hitting the AE Lock, but it doesn't.

15 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Somehow I missed this review of the GX80's IBIS vs the GX8... interesting.

Certainly looks a whole lot better than the GX8 for video. 

I ended up getting the 15/1.7 and haven't tested it as much as the 12-32, but I haven't seen any jitters with it. Everything seems nice and "floaty". I think u mentioned before people's complaining was mainly with the 12-32?

And btw, this Pana 15/1.7 is a champion little lens ... really nice !! Took some still and was really impressed. 

Also really impressed with the GX85's SOOC Jpeg's ... look great to me. The standard setting with -5 NR gives a natural look with a touch of contrast which is just how I like images.

Have a 3 day weekend sop looking forward to using this cam :)

8 minutes ago, sgreszcz said:

I just got the 15/1.7 and it is a great little lens.  I think that it might replace my 25/1.4 for indoor shooting lens as it is easier to get environmental pictures and video of my kids without having to be way back.

How about the focusing speed?

I've sold my 20mm 1.7 for the that reason.

14 minutes ago, Grimor said:

How about the focusing speed?

I've sold my 20mm 1.7 for the that reason.

Quite fast, I think a bit faster than the 25/1.4 too.  The 20/1.7 was one of the first m4/3 lenses that I owned (with the Olympus 45/1.8).  I loved that little 20mm lens except I lost a lot of shots due to missed autofocus (mind you of my kids that don't stop moving).  It was pretty good for manual focus with video and I liked the angle of view and had nice rendering.

50 pages is a lot to look back through, but I don't remember seeing any settings posted here for a while.

After a lot of testing, I've arrived at Natural -3 -5 -5 -3, Highlights / Shadows -2 / +2 for video. iDynamic and iResolution off. Opinions? I reckon I'm getting better skin tones that with my Sony A7R II.

This is a great camera. The biggest problems are the (very) poor EVF and LCD and the lack of audio input.

Unexpectedly (I was a guest) I ended up having to shoot stills for a wedding with the GX80 yesterday. The quality of the images blows me away and being able to use a tiny MFT body is very liberating.